It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
Questions, please help!

Last Feb. I had a flare up with my FM. It got better over the summer (due to my activity with my nephews LL baseball, I think.) It started again about four weeks. I have read the symptoms many places on the internet, but I have some questions I would really like you guys to answer if you have time. My husband had colon cancer three years ago and I just have a hard time believing some of my problems all come from FM, but my doctors say they do. He also says that worrying about what could be wrong instead of the FM only makes the FM worse. I知 43 and was dx with IBS and FM in 2001.

Do you have TMJ?
Do you have IBS?
Do your hips hurt?
Do your sides hurt (mostly my left)? I知 talking about the area right above your hip bone on the side, not the front or back.
Does you side, back and front area around your hip hurt? Even under your ribs slightly.
Do you experience any swelling or feel like there is swelling in those areas?
Does you stomach burn or hurt in all kinds of places?
Does your hips or stomach hurt or feel uncomfortable when you cough?
Do you ever have swelling in your feet? Mine have swollen the last few days after standing on a ladder and painting a ceiling. I have also turned black and blue on two different spots on both feet. (But I do bruise easy).
Do you hurt worse when you are sitting watching TV than you do if you are walking around a store or up busy?
Does riding in a car bother your hips and back?
Do you wake up with your hip hurting if you are sleeping on that side? Feels like a bad cramp and hurts pretty bad, but does ease off some when I turn over on my back. (Either hip).
Does it hurt sometimes and its really bad, does it hurt when the areas are pushed on by your doctor?

In Feb when I started having the side, hip and front left side pain, my doctors did blood work, ultrasound and ct scan on that side. Every thing was neg. I also had a colonoscopy in 2004 that was neg, with only one very tiny polyp found (dr said everyone my age probably has at least on tiny polyp in their colon.

Please take the time and answer any or all of my questions regarding you experience with FM. I am going crazy worrying and I find I trust your answers (you live with it also) more than all my doctors.
Thanks again,
Kaye

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
(female)

April414 HB User
Re: Questions, please help!

I found that after I was diagnosed I seemed to feel some better at first, I figured ok, we know whats wrong now we'll fix it. Boy was I wrong! While I was worrying about having this for rest of my life and never having anybody "fix it", I actually felt worse I guess cause my stress level was up. Thats not to say I don't have times that I hurt like hell several times over, but mentally it's not as bad. I realize that fibro is not going away, sometimes will be better, sometimes worse. I do still have my little pity parties at times but not for near as long or near as often. It only makes me feel worse if I do.
Ok, you had some ??
I do wake up with my hips hurting, sometimes mainly the one I'm laying on. It gets to feeling like the bone is trying to poke out of the skin, also have pain like that where what I call the butt bones.
My dr. says I do have the TMJ, I grew up with major colon problems, have had ilieostomy since 1983. Drs said Crohn's, pathologists that studied colon said severe Colitis. I do have acid reflux now have had for quite a few years now. I do have weird-to me-stomach aches at times.
Pain-in a car, either driving or riding for very long hurts really bad, talk about fidgeting around. Sitting & watching t.v. much isn't as bad, but I have a very soft thick recliner and I either lean back or sit indian style and lean forward. Sitting straight up, I can't do that...anywhere. Have a friend that says she doesn't see how I can drive laying down..I don't, but she drives straight up. I couldn't drive that way..way too much pain. As far as walking vs. sitting, I have 2 friends that say they have to use to the carts in the store instead of walking with a buggy. Me, I walk with a buggy, I lean over on it, & I can get done & out of store faster walking. With the riding carts you have to get up & down to get things off shelves or out of meat & frozen food areas, plus the way other people ignore you, the driving the cart is just worse on me, mentally and phsyically. My feet do swell sometimes, it seems fairly often to me though & they feel hot inside when they do.
First time I saw arthritis dr. and he pushed on different spots, I was almost amazed, he found places that I didn't really realize were hurting & he just barely touched those places.
You didn't mention sleep problems or fatigue but I have both of those, even with sleep meds and being more tired, I have more pain, When I have more pain I sleep worse. Never ending cycle.
Other places that hurt..nose, yeah, sounds weird, upper chest up near collarbones, collarbones themselves, rib areas under breasts, handsm fingers, both knees & only have hystory of problems with right one, right shoulder area, front & back, and right elbow, tops of feet near toes and the toes themselves. Feet also cramp up at times.
There are times that someone else is having problems and I know they need me or something else very important to me is going on and I seem to hurt less and sleep a little better, of course when this going on I'm usually eating better too, mainly cause those with me are eating right or need to so I do to get them to. Of course after it (whatever it is) is over, I am more tired than I was before whatever it is/was going on, started and have extra pain for a while too.
Fibro is a mixture of many things, some of these things you don't learn at one time, I had fibro quite a while before nose pain, for example. Stress does seem to make symptoms worse. I understand that exercise can help, I stayed outside and in our small WalMart pool quite a bit last summer and did feel enough better to notice it, this year has been worse...got rearended in Feb. and been dealing with all that comes with that including extra pain and had problems keeping pool acting right. Exercising when you hurts sounds crazy, it'll make you hurt worse...at least at first, which is why I exercised in the pool, it didn't bother me near as much plus helped with the heat quite a bit.
Even with fibro, you'll be okay, it just won't feel like it at times and remember we're all here for each other to lean on, listen and offer help & encouragement too. Hope this helps you some.
April

Old 09-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye2003
Last Feb. I had a flare up with my FM. It got better over the summer (due to my activity with my nephews LL baseball, I think.) It started again about four weeks. I have read the symptoms many places on the internet, but I have some questions I would really like you guys to answer if you have time. My husband had colon cancer three years ago and I just have a hard time believing some of my problems all come from FM, but my doctors say they do. He also says that worrying about what could be wrong instead of the FM only makes the FM worse. I知 43 and was dx with IBS and FM in 2001.

Do you have TMJ?
Do you have IBS?
Do your hips hurt?
Do your sides hurt (mostly my left)? I知 talking about the area right above your hip bone on the side, not the front or back.
Does you side, back and front area around your hip hurt? Even under your ribs slightly.
Do you experience any swelling or feel like there is swelling in those areas?
Does you stomach burn or hurt in all kinds of places?
Does your hips or stomach hurt or feel uncomfortable when you cough?
Do you ever have swelling in your feet? Mine have swollen the last few days after standing on a ladder and painting a ceiling. I have also turned black and blue on two different spots on both feet. (But I do bruise easy).
Do you hurt worse when you are sitting watching TV than you do if you are walking around a store or up busy?
Does riding in a car bother your hips and back?
Do you wake up with your hip hurting if you are sleeping on that side? Feels like a bad cramp and hurts pretty bad, but does ease off some when I turn over on my back. (Either hip).
Does it hurt sometimes and its really bad, does it hurt when the areas are pushed on by your doctor?

In Feb when I started having the side, hip and front left side pain, my doctors did blood work, ultrasound and ct scan on that side. Every thing was neg. I also had a colonoscopy in 2004 that was neg, with only one very tiny polyp found (dr said everyone my age probably has at least on tiny polyp in their colon.

Please take the time and answer any or all of my questions regarding you experience with FM. I am going crazy worrying and I find I trust your answers (you live with it also) more than all my doctors.
Thanks again,
Kaye
Hi Kaye ~

There is no doubt that for many of us, stress makes all FM symptoms worse. My husband had throat cancer and has been fighting it for over 4 years, and since the DX, there's no doubt that all of my FM symptoms have been worse.

To answer your questions:

Do you have TMJ? ....Yes
Do you have IBS? .....Yes
Do your hips hurt? .....Yes
Do your sides hurt (mostly my left)? I知 talking about the area right above your hip bone on the side, not the front or back....Yes, and also in my sides in the rib area.
Does you side, back and front area around your hip hurt? Even under your ribs slightly.....Yes
Do you experience any swelling or feel like there is swelling in those areas?...Yes, but mostly a feeling of pressure..and it hurts to take a deep breath, too, BTW.
Does you stomach burn or hurt in all kinds of places? ...No.
Does your hips or stomach hurt or feel uncomfortable when you cough?....No, but my sides and back around the ribcage do.
Do you ever have swelling in your feet? ...Yes, but mostly I think it's because of the hot summer temps and that I sit too much.
Do you hurt worse when you are sitting watching TV than you do if you are walking around a store or up busy? ...No, I feel worse with activity.
Does riding in a car bother your hips and back? .....Yes
Do you wake up with your hip hurting if you are sleeping on that side? ....Yes
Does it hurt sometimes and its really bad, does it hurt when the areas are pushed on by your doctor? ...Yes, any pressure hurts just about anywhere in the trunk, especially, actually.

Have you ever thought of being on an anti-depressant? I take Lexapro and it does help with all my many and varied symptoms and pains...and helps with stress, too. Good luck to you.

Hugs
Char

Old 09-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
(male)

ohsotired HB User

Hi Kaye 2003 I'm ohsotired, I will answer yes to all of your ?,s. 've had F.M. for about 6yrs know, and it changes every day I never know were the pain is going to be next. Some times it is in my feet and my legs or maybe it's in my arms and hands and if I'm reel lucky I have it all over my body. So i guess what I'm trying to say is that is why the Drs call it FM because there is no method to it's madness. Although I have found that as long as you don"t let it get in your head and try to be as normal as possible you'll make it tru the day. I do have to be honest though, it took about 3 yrs and alot of diff med combos and also seeing a shrink for the past 4 yrs to get me to this positive attitude that I have. Good luck P.S There is alot of swelling when your active

Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hi kaye, ive had fibro for many many years now, when they didnt know much about it (not that they do now anyway) and it was always called just growing pains (yea growing pains in my late 20s early 30s) or arthritis and just told it was either in my head, that i was overly concerned with my pains, some misdiagnosed it as lupus, on and on. till i finally got it diagnosed correctly about 7 yrs ago.
Do you have TMJ? Yes, for a couple of years there its was horrible! how can something so small cause so much pain?? it felt like i wanted to just curl up and die, headaches cause of it, couldnt sleep, couldnt eat. now its much better for me, thank God.
Do you have IBS? yes
Do your hips hurt? Yes mostly like someone else said the hip/butt bones,
Do your sides hurt (mostly my left)? I’m talking about the area right above your hip bone on the side, not the front or back.?
just about every area has hurt for me at some point, but when it does its both sides, but usually the side hip bones
Does you side, back and front area around your hip hurt? Even under your ribs slightly. my ribs have hurt in the past, off and on, but its usually like the part between the ribs.
Do you experience any swelling or feel like there is swelling in those areas? No, i dont experience swelling there. But oh do my hands and feet swell, and my ankles, big time.
Does you stomach burn or hurt in all kinds of places? like heartburn? no i dont have that hon.
Does your hips or stomach hurt or feel uncomfortable when you cough? No
YES, big time swelling hon! and yes i bruise very easily, im also anemic.
Do you hurt worse when you are sitting watching TV than you do if you are walking around a store or up busy? oh no, hurt alot worse when im active and get fatigued easily.
Does riding in a car bother your hips and back? hmm not my hips, but my lower back hurts alot, usually if hubby is driving ( i dont drive that much anymore) i usually put the seat as far back as i can and lay down.
Do you wake up with your hip hurting if you are sleeping on that side? Feels like a bad cramp and hurts pretty bad, but does ease off some when I turn over on my back. (Either hip). Yes, but depends on which hip im laying or have slept on, i usually wake up with severe pain first thing in the morning, very stiff and painful, then calms down after a while.
Does it hurt sometimes and its really bad, does it hurt when the areas are pushed on by your doctor? uhhuh, like someone else said, you hurt in places the doctors find that you never even knew you hurt in till they pressed it.
sometimes the whole body hurts that i cant tell where its coming from .

But we are all here for you sweetie. sometimes it does get pretty depressing when you think youre all alone and no one can understand what youre going thru. but trust me, we can and do understand, and youre not alone. and yea, we will have fibro for the rest of our lives (unless they come up with the magical cure), but we learn things that help us survive it. we can still have a good life even if we do go thru some rough spots in. I lost alot of time with family and living life and enjoying it because i didnt understand what was wrong with me. now, i dont let fibro stand in my way. we just work around it lol and still enjoy life.
jen

Closed Thread