It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Could my symptoms be fibromyalgia? How do you get diagnosed?

I posted over at the women's health site because some of my symptoms resemble endometriosis, but I'm wondering if I might have fibromyalgia.

I have had pain on and off since last December, lasting up to over a month, then going away for up to a month. I had an abdominal u/s in January as well as bloodwork that came back normal.

This past June I started having jaw/neck/shoulder pain that I guess is TMJ from jaw clinching.
The most recent bought of pain I have started in the first week of August.
In June I started my period on the 18th. I had a regular period, but did not have another period until August 11th -- 55 day cycle. I had spotting for 2 days around August 26th. I've had irregular cycles forever, even some anovulatory cycles when I was younger and trying to conceive, and had trouble conceiving my kids because of it, but they aren't usually more than 42 days anymore. I'm 35.

Here are my pain symptoms --
Lower and mid back pain on the right only
Right side/flank pain
achy feeling in my right hamstring
achy/pain in right hip
pain, pressure and occasional burning feeling in right abdominal area from the pelvic area up as high as below the ribcage.
Pain is worse when laying on either side, hurts a lot when I get up in the morning.
I don't have any intestinal/bowel symptoms except what feels like a little more rumbling/movement on the right side.
I can feel a swelling over in my side between my hip bone and my lower rib.
I also have anxiety/panic attacks. The panic attacks are worse when the pain is constant.

The pain came back in June about a week before I started my period. I went to my OB_GYN who ordered a pelvic u/s and bloodwork. I had the bloodwork done on day 3 of my cycle and all hormone levels were normal. The pelvic u/s was scheduled for about 3 weeks out, and by the time I had it my pain was gone. It was normal.
This round of pain has lasted since the first week of August.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Re: Could my symptoms be fibromyalgia? How do you get diagnosed?

Forgot to mention a bloating feeling in my abdomen occasionally and occasional constipation.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

imaworrier HB User

I keep remembering things:

I also have occasional horseness
And a spot on my back where my muscle is ALWAYS sore.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

imaworrier HB User

Does no-one have symptoms similar to mine?

Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User

Dx with fibro a few years ago. I seem to have flare ups. Most times I can deal with it fine. Right now is not one of those times. My problems now are:

Yes I have similar pains.
My pain started on the left side. Now I have it on both sides. The flank pain drives me nuts.
Both hips. Started with left.
Abdominal burning everywhere. I do have IBS.
Lower back and whole trunk area woke me up this morning. Very painful.
Others with more knowledge will answer soon I'm sure. This is a great place to get help and advise.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

All your symptoms and accompanying problems, hoarseness, pain, soreness, TMJ, are quite common with fibro. I have your exact symptoms only they focus on the left side. The hoarseness was part of thyroid, later from closing of the esophagus and also from the sinus drainage that is quite common with fibromites. The menstrual problem I actually had basically solved with a d and c that has made me go from horrible pain, and unbelievable amounts of bleeding to a very light 3 day regular period. I still get cramps sometimes but NOTHING like before. I thought I had edemetrosis too, but found my lining was dangerously thick with build up. I was 35 when I had that done, so it was not pre or peri menopause afterall. Hang in there, keep searching for answers, and know you are not alone!
Mim

Last edited by mim; 09-05-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
(female)

imaworrier HB User

Thanks mimgregg --
I've been posting on healthboards since January in different sections about these problems. Thing is, I've also been to several doctors through my health provider about them since January too. I called on Thursday to make an apt. with my GP, and the advice nurse said to me, "You've been seen a lot lately."
I think they think I'm a hypochondriac, and the fact that I have panic disorder doesn't help. But I really want to rule out anything serious, and seeing as how I've been in daily pain since the first week of August, I do think I need to go back. I'm just wondering what else my GP will do. She wasn't there, and won't be until this Thurs, so I didn't go in. They offered me an apt. with a different doc., but there is no point. They all tell me to follow up with my GP.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi, I think there is a link at the top of the fibro board with a symptom checklist. I would suggest printing this list out, highlight all your matching symptoms, write in your other symptoms if they are not listed, and list all your diagnoses to date. It made it a lot easier to see connections when I did something similar. It also helps the doctor to see the extent of what you are dealing with and gives them a direction to go in. Having panic/anxiety does not mean you are a hypochondriac. Believe me, I went through that earlier in life and now finally have proof and dxs to back up what has always been a problem. Most fibro if not all diagnoses are a process of elimination. Other testable illnesses have to be ruled out, and certain problems have to be established to confirm the dx. A daily journal of pain, where, severity (1-10), sleep patterns, what you are able to do or not do that day will also help establish a record your doctor can consider when trying to help you with a diagnosis. Additionally this can also be considered down the road if you need to apply for disability. Hope this helps some!!
Mimgregg

Closed Thread