It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
lactic acid build up in muscles.

So one of the theories I was exploring for fibro is lactic acid build up in the muscles. It does make sense,as that's what it feels like to me. You know when you work out unused muscles way to hard and they are sore and achy for days.? That's how i feel all the time. The fatigue is still a mystery though. My holistic GYN whom i am seeing for hormonal issues,also has fibro. She suggested light exercise every day. (I swim ,and walk, not run ,on a treadmill) .and that has worked wonders for me. Exercise in moderation actually breaks down the lactic acid build -up. Also moist heat ,such as showers ,baths.hot tubs ,etc. I find that exercise also does help with the fatigue. it's just hard to get started when you feel so awfull. It does get easier though,and once you've started you can't stop. My GYN told me that 3 days is the max you should go without exercising before you hit the wall.Also mega doses of Omega 3. I am taking 3500mg daily. I have decided that i am not going to let fibro control me ,but i am going to be the one in control. I have always believed in mind over matter. The mind is a very powerfull thing. A positve attitude,and not giving in is the attitude i'm taking in dealing with diagnosis of fibro.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: lactic acid build up in muscles.

The way fibromyalgia was explained to me by my doctor as this:

Fibromyalgia is the result of an inherited biochemical abnormality, resulting in poor excretion of certain substances. Fibro suffers fail to process substances properly that should be excreted by the kidneys. It is believed that there is a deficiency of an enzyme(s) involved in this process. It is also believed that the symptoms of fibro are a result of the accumulation of the excess of phosphate and oxalate within the body's cells. This leads to impariment of energy production (also known as CFS) within the mitochondria and may also directly cause the pain and stiffness in the muscles and soft tissue experienced in the syndrome.

What my physician recommends is using guafenesin. This medication helps the body to excrete the excess accumulation of phosphates and oxaltes. Just as it takes time to accumulate enough of these chemicals to cause pain in a fibro sufferer, it also takes time for the medication to work the chemicals out of that person's body.

I have had very good success with this medication, but you have to follow the protocol in order to have success.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank-you.
I like your Dr's explanation. Very staightforward. I want to know what's actually going on in my body ,and that makes a lot of sense to me. I will definately check out the guafenesin. You are the second person to recommend that. He takes 2500mg a day. How much do you take? Although i've been feeling like this for years ,it has gotten worse since I hit menopause,and this is the first time i've actually tried to get help for it and the term fibromyalgia has been used. I'm sort of still in the dark here. My G.P .pretty much washed his hands of me when my tests for R.A came back negative twice. My chiropracter told me that's what i would be diagnosed with if i saw a rheumatologist( which we don't have in our area) but that she doesn't like that term. My holistic GYN told me that's what I have (and she has it too) so although she's sympathetic ,she is treating me for hormone related stuff and is not that well versed in fibromyalgia. So i'm pretty much researching my own diagnosis and treatment here. From everything i've read I do think that's what i have ,although maybe not as badly as some people as I can still exercise and function in my daily life ,albeit in constant pain,but manageable. Well anyway..thanks again. Knowledge is power ,and i want to have the power over this disease. Kat...

Old 09-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I thought there was a study done on Lactic Acid and it had no bearing as to the cause of Fibro.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You may be right.I'm new to this diagnosis and I'm just exploring different things i've been told right now. I was told that by a Dr. whom also has fibro herself actually. I like the explanation given in the above post by kirstee. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited by kathryn+2; 09-11-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
(male)

HisKid1973 HB User

Intersting post..I take mag malate to help my achey/ancey feet when I go to bed..I also am going to make a frame to keep the heavy comforter off my feet this winter..I am on my SSDI and find if I work around the house doing maintenance or dishs/wash loads 2/3 days in a row for a couple hours, I hit the wall in the opposite way and am out of commission for a couple days..K

Last edited by HisKid1973; 09-11-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I take 2000 mg of guafenesin per day total. 2 tablets are a fast-acting guafenesin, and 2 tablets are a slow-acting guafenesin. Please read a book entitled "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." The author is Dr. Paul St. Amand. He instructs the reader how to go about using the protocol.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks kirstee. i will get that book... Kat.

Closed Thread