It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Fibro symptom?

I found on another website a checklist for fibro and it talks about the loss of the moons on your fingernails.

I only have moons on my thumbs, is this crazy or what. I asked my mom and she only has one moon on her one thumb and she doesn't have fibro....lol

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

CTuit HB User
Re: Fibro symptom?

If I remember correctly there are quite a few things that will show up in the nails, even vitamin deficiencies. There are quite a few sites out there that discuss diseases and abnormalities in nails.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Now this is quite a coincidence. When I have hypothyroidism, the moons on my fingers all disappear but my thumbs. I dont have fibro.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User
Cool Re: Fibro symptom?

mmm? interesting

I usually have them on just my thumbs also.. but

if i push the cuticles back on my fingers then they show up there too...

I have had fibro since .. forever ... but was dxd in 1991

Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I don't know what it is, I don't have many moons and neither do my children. The only moons is the thumbs...check out your family members and see how many moons they have.

Hope

Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

That Seems Funny To Me, I Have Heard That Different Dx's Will Change Your Nails...I'll Have To Wait To Look Til After I Take Off My Polish...lol...
Does Anybody Know What Ridges On Fingernails Might Be Caused From? I Have Waves And Raised Ridges On My Nails. Just Courious!!

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-17-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi tiff,
ridges can be caused by cronic myofacial pain. that is why i have them. are they lengthwise or sideways? the moons on my fingernails have slowly gone away. noticed it a few years back and kept watch. all are gone and my thumbnails are almost gone.
hair and fingernails tell of the body within.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Huh, never even paid attention before. No moons on my right hand except thumb and and only moons, though ALMOST nonexistant, on my thumb, middle, and point finger of my left hand.

Interesting.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Ok, I guess I am the oddball. I keep a watch on my big toe nail. It grows the slowest on my body and I can tell by the dips that occur when my health is low. I have ridges on them that run side to side, but on my fingernails the ridges run straight up and down. I have nice fat moons on thumbs, and if I push back my cuticles much smaller moons than I had pre problems. Lately my fingernails, esp. the middle fingers have developed such deep ridges that if I bump it the nail peels or splits. I am having a hard time eating lately due to the addition of adderall and increasing dosages to help my cognitive dysfunction. I take a few bites, gag and stop. I have to get to the point of feeling ill with hunger to eat and then can only eat soft foods that I think will stay down. I was told this is not unusual when starting on amphetamines. I know it can't be healthy though even though the 23 pound weight loss has helped on the joints!
MimGregg

Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
(female)

Arline324 HB User
Unhappy Re: Fibro symptom?

My doctor (female) said about the up and down ridges on the fingernails that it comes with getting older. I take a lot of vitamins (not mega doses or anything), one being biotin which I heard was good for hair and nails, and to keep the nails hydrated with a good cream. Nothing really helps. Maybe she's right.

Arline

Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Hi bluelakelady...
I have noticed that the ridges go to the end of my nails and sometimes my nails feel wavy across...I LOSE HAIR LIKE CRAZY!!!! After I get out of the tub it is full, I have to clean off my window sill in front of my sink because the hair dryer blows it all over, we kid that I shed more than the dogs do!!!!
anyway thanks for the input

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-20-2006 at 07:09 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 AM   #12
(female)

madamkitty HB User

I've always heard that the moons on your fingernails are actually bruises. If you are very active with your hands and are constantly hitting your nails or fingertips the more moons you have. I haven't had any moons on my fingers since I was put out of work in 05.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi tiff,
i started shaving my head 8 years ago. i had other reasons but noticed my hair loss was no longer an issue, giggle. as of this past month i have been letting my hair grow. it is much thinner. i have an allergy to my own hair so this moment in time with hair is fun. long story, boring.
quit using a blow dryer on your hair. it causes hair loss and hey, who needs more help with that? maybe a short little doo you can "ruffle and go" after your shower. get away from conditioners if you use them and go to a natural shampoo.
back to the fingernails. age is part of it. ever look at a very old womans fingernails? they show every mile she has struggled thru. perhaps they reflect the highs and lows in our lives?
hope you are feeling well today and the sun is shining on your shoulders.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #14
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Thank You I Appreciate That.
My Hair Has Been Short For The Past 5 Years Or So, I Am Actually Trying To Grow It Out Right Now, Although I Did Just Get It Layered.
Surprisingly As Much Hair As I Lose, I Still Have Thick Thick Hair.as Far As Moons On The Nails, They Seem To Be Bigger On My Thumbs And Go Smaller Around To The Pinkies...who Knows???
I'm Not Sure How I Feel Today...I Took My Medicine And Am A Little Achy Still We Will See How The Day Progresses. I'm Just Glad The Weekend Is Here!
T C

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-20-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #15
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

sorry...some how I posted same message twice!!!??? tiff-cher

Last edited by tiff-cher; 10-20-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: posted twice

Closed Thread