It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Has Anyone Tried A Fibro Health Center or Guaifenesin Treatments?

I am reading about a Dr. St. Amands Fibro Treatment Centers. Has anyone tried going to one of these or for that matter, a doctor that specializes in Fibro? The doctor uses Guaifenesin pills. Has anyone tried that? I read a study where it didn't work. I am getting so desperate that I am willing to try anything. I am up to four to six pain pills a day and thats barely touching the stiffness and pain. I think I'm becoming immuned to Tramadol. Vicodin barely works anymore either. What is the next step in pain relieving medicine? Has anyone else become immuned to the pain meds they are taking? I am so stiff every morning, I have trouble putting my pants on. Help

Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: Has Anyone Tried A Fibro Health Center or Guaifenesin Treatments?

I took Humibid LA for years and had very good luck with it. Then the company stopped making it. (At least that's what my druggist told me) Then only thing I didn't like was the constant runny nose. But yes I had good luck with it. Humibid is Guaifenesin in a pill form.

I now take Cymbalta and exercise daily, and feel pretty close to human.(whatever that is)

Sid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

LittleLisaMarie HB User

Guaifenesin is available over the counter now in a tablet called Mucinex. Let me know if you have any results with this. I myself have never heard of such a treatment.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

beamerbruin HB User

I was on Dr. St. Armand's guafenisen protocol for 2 years and it didn't help me at all, unfortunately. The Dr. is very kind and treated me directly, but my symptoms never improved, even after "cycling" for 2 years (and I'm only 26, so it should have made a significant improvement in that time). The only thing that has worked for me is a thorough and consistent life change (along with a few medications that I take as needed). I have to be very kind to myself and live as balanced a life as possible, or I live in a constant state of flare-up. I have to say, though, that Myofascial Release Therapy really helped my symptoms (I went to an MFR treatment center for several years in my early 20s), and I continue to practice several of the MFR techniques on my own for my pain and IBS. Regular massages (when I can afford them!) also really help to relieve the pain.
Good Luck!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
(female)

LittleLisaMarie HB User

Hi Beamer,
I am always in a constant state of flare up as well. The pain center does help a lot, but it doesn't help things like my hands and feet. I think I am going to look into a chiropractor. Have you tried that route? I ask only because I would like some feedback on that. I have heard it is helpful for many people with Fibro.

Lisa

Old 10-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

I go to the Fibromyalgia Treatment Center In Sacramento Ca....doing Dr. Charles Strattons Protocol....

People are having GREAT results.....and are being cured......

Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

LISAMARIA. I went to a Chiro, but that was for back pain, which he helped me with. but I never went on a regular basis to know if he could help with my Fibro. You say you went to a Pain Med Center. What kind of pain medication did they give you?

Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
I am always in a constant state of flare up as well. The pain center does help a lot, but it doesn't help things like my hands and feet. I think I am going to look into a chiropractor. Have you tried that route? I ask only because I would like some feedback on that. I have heard it is helpful for many people with Fibro.

Lisa

Hello, LittleLisa:
My name is TK and I'm happy to meet you. I've been a member of the Boards for a while but have been absent due to personal reasons.

I wanted to chime in about Chiropractic. Now this is just my opinion, take it or not, but I have, besides FM, CFIDS, 3 herniated lower lumbar discs, and I just don't believe that a Chiro is good for folks, moving around someone's spine, IMO is just not good. I have heard so many horror stories about Chiro's doing bad bad things to peoples backs. Now, I do believe if you can find one who specializes in Ultrasound and Infared pre examination, you may benefit from an adjustment in your NECK. There is a FM Chiro here where I live who does this believing that the nerves surrounding the brain stem are affected by an out of alignment of the C vertabrae's, which can be the "root" of FM pain. His theory, one of thousands for us. But they interviewed his patients whith FM and they swear by him. He does infrared inspection of your C spine before he even touches you.

I don't want any one cracking around my bones, personally. I truely believe that all the times I had someone "crack my back" in my younger days, finally led to the permenant disfigurement of my lower spine. You especially with arthritis should be careful of anyone moving those deteriorating joints around.

Hope this helps you a bit. If you lean towards a Chiro, talk to his patients, check his/her out REAL good before you let them contort your bones! LOL But I'm afraid with your Arthritis, it would be a painful experience for you and may even cause more damage. Truely, I believe that Glucosomine Chondroitin (is that how you spell that?) is a good "homeo" way to go. It is the same formula they use on arthritic dogs called Rymadil. We humans share a lot in common with our four legged friends.

Take care,
TK

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 11-03-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre
I am reading about a Dr. St. Amands Fibro Treatment Centers. Has anyone tried going to one of these or for that matter, a doctor that specializes in Fibro? The doctor uses Guaifenesin pills. Has anyone tried that? I read a study where it didn't work. I am getting so desperate that I am willing to try anything. I am up to four to six pain pills a day and thats barely touching the stiffness and pain. I think I'm becoming immuned to Tramadol. Vicodin barely works anymore either. What is the next step in pain relieving medicine? Has anyone else become immuned to the pain meds they are taking? I am so stiff every morning, I have trouble putting my pants on. Help

Hey there "starre", How have you been? I hope you remember me. I wanted to chime in about the Guaifenesin. Yes, you used to have to get it by RX but it is available in different forms OTC. Robitussin has it in it, but you would have to slug a few bottles to feel any effects, and I'm afraid that's not wise! LOL I haven't really heard too many people that have rec'd benefits from it. I post on the Pain Management board a lot and it has been mentioned there, but it is mostly connected to Fibromights.

You can build up "resistance" to medication, certainly, and some just plain old don't work for people. Unfortunately our bodies are so differently made up that we all can't use the same meds, would be nice though wouldn't it? Also, you know, there are varying degrees of FM. From moderate to severe. Exercise really does help, if you are able. And please, anyone reading this, if you ARE able, do so. The less you move your muscles, the more the atrophy, and they become like noodles. I am unable to exercise the way I want to though I used to run marathons, that was BFM (before FM) but my back injuries stop me from being able to stand for more than a few minutes and I have noticed a severe loss of strength in my legs and arms. Along with the FM comes of course those nasty little trigger points that form little knots along our connective tissue, usually in your upper back and shoulders. You know them nasty little fellas don't you? LOL Strong deep tissue massage works for them, but can be expensive, especially when RX'd by a doc. And it only lasts for so long, but it does work, brings you to tears, but it hurts real good! However, the use of pain meds is like spinning the wheel on a game show. I've been on so many, and finally found a "cocktail" that works for me. Yes, after time, you will become "tolerant" of a certain med, but not immune. Then it's time for a change. Tramadol, is not good for severe pain, it doesn't relax muscles, it's considered a "safe" pain med, although you can go through some nasty withdrawl symptoms, many have. That's the thing about using narcotics, changing and going throug w/d. Makes you want to scream at times, if you aren't weaned off of them correctly. Be ware of a doc who just up and changes your meds without weaning you off the other during your switch.

Do you see a PM doc? They are able to "experiment" with different types of medications for your pain more than a regular doc or a Rhuemy. There is a new pain med called OPANA. It comes in immediate release and ER. It is a formulation of oxymoroph (sp?). I've tried it for a day, which isn't really a good tell tale way to know if it works or not, but I did notice that it reacted more quickly to my pain and lasted longer. I'm leary of changing, I've been using Roxicodone for BT pain for a couple years now and it isn't lasting as long. The last time my PM doc's PA switched me COLD TURKEY from Roxi to Kadien and I went through awful w/d that it put me in the hospital, so back to the roxi I went! But roxi and Opana are similar in formulation. Oxycodone and Oxymoroph. It is a morphine based formula that has been around for awhile, but not in oral form. You used to have to take it through injection or suppository form.

Morning is the worst time for us. If you have time, get up and wait until you are less stiff before you begin your day. Do you work? I used to have to get up at 4:00 to be to work by 7:00 just to wait for my body to get itself ready. Surely, I think you should talk to your doctor about a new "cocktail" of meds. Sometimes it takes more than one. Don't use them if you don't need them, even these Anti-D's like Cymbalta, which work for some, but my goodness the w/d from them are awful. I use Lexapro and it works well for me, but if I'm short on money and can't afford it one month, I experience w/d which is simply MORE PAIN.

Another good doc who specializes in Homeopathic methods of treatment for Fibro and CFIDS is Dr. Rodger Murphee. You can look him up. He's an author and heads a big treatment clinic in Birmingham Alabama. I have used his "vitamim" formula before and honestly did notice that I felt "better". Please do exercise if you can. It really does help. When I tried to go back to work before I was accepted for SSD, after my son died, I noticed that I wasn't using my BT pain meds as much. My FM pain wasn't as intense, but my feet were killing me! That never happened before to me. I have made a living on my feet. Even now, the bottom of my feet hurt when I wake in the morning from them just having had contact with the mattress all night, and I use memory foam! It was my back and nerve pain that caused me not to be able to work. The nerve damage from my lower back injury has damaged the caudial nerves which cause burning in my upper thigh(s) and runs down along the front of my thigh to my feet if I'm on them too long. The damage is permanent. But I swear, my FM pain was not as bad after I got up and was actually moving my body. Move Move Move is my advice, if possible. Then find a med that will work with your lifestyle and how your body is in motion. Don't be afraid to ask your doc about meds you have heard us speak of.

Hope this helps, and keep on trudging, it's all we can do.
Always,
TK

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 11-03-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
(female)

christine67 HB User

I bought a book on the guaifenisen treatment read it then started taking the recomended dose for about a week. I was in a lot of pain to begin with but after taking this I couldn't even walk. My legs were killing me, arms, butt and skin hurt.

I do not reccomend taking guaifenison.

Maybe you could take it for a week or two and see if it helps but if your not feeling better I would toss it in the trash.

I hope this will help you a little and that you will keep on fighting this awfule dieses.

Keep up the faith. I will pray for you..

Your fibro pal..

Last edited by christine67; 11-04-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Beamer:
As you can see by the responses to your question, there are many opinions. I have been on the guafenesin protocol for 3-4 years and have had excellent results. One thing that happens when you take the med is it causes your body to cycle, so you endure times of pain while taking the drug. At the beginning it is worse, but with time, you have more times of feeling good than you do of feeling poorly. The longer you have had fibro, the longer it takes to feel better.

It also seems that some people do not respond to guafenesin treatment. If you read Dr. St. Amand's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia", you might be able to make a decision whether or not this will work for you. It is important to follow the directions Dr. St Amand provides or you will not have success. I obtain my medication directly from Dr. St. Amand's pharmacy, and from Grace Products (I take a slow acting, and fast acting tablet in combo).

I am 80% improved, the only thing I suffer from is bouts of fatigue at times. And sometimes suffer from flares, albeit very infrequently. I exercise hard, ride my bike, play with my dogs, my life is normal.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
(female)

bridgett19 HB User

builder: YES, I am becoming totally immune to all pain pills as well as I am on oxycodone and morphine and they barely touch the pain and barely able to walk as well. Don't be fooled by all these so called treatments as they really don't work. I understand that you want to try something else and so do I but how do we know if they really work? I asked my pain mgmt. doctor the other day if I would become immune to my pills and he said some people are on them for 10 years or more....I have only been on my for 3 years and I really feel that I need something else or go higher. I feel your pain literally.

Closed Thread