It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Relapse after long remission of FMS symptoms

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced a relapse of symptoms over the last few days after a long period of remission of symptoms.

It started last weekend when i rented a car and went for 2 long shopping excursions with my college age daughter who is home on Christmas break. I was extremely nervous about driving the car because it is so much bigger than mine. I also overdid the shopping and drank more caffeine than my usual 1 or 2 cups a day. I was also nervous about spending money. I started to have anxiety. Then my face started burning for the next few days. The next day, I woke up and had pain in my hands and weakness in making a fist. The next day was very stressful because I was preparing for the winter icestorm and rushing around getting groceries and other supplies and lifted a case of wood and a huge bag of salt. I became more anxious and had difficulty constructing sentences; I kept losing my train of thought. I started running into door frames. This morning I woke up at 5 and couldn't go back to sleep.

These symptoms have been gone for about 6 months, if not longer. I remember now that stress was a big trigger of symptoms in the past; I guess I thought that the fibromyalgia was gone.

For relief from these symptoms and to try to prevent the onset of additional symptoms, I have decided to rest and not worry about the weather. I cannot control it and have a camp stove to cook, plenty of food and water, wood for heat, my family to keep me company, and thankfully I don't have to travel, although my daughter will be late getting back to her university. I am cutting the caffeine to one in the morning and drinking more water. I am taking my vitamins again; I am out of Malic acid tablets but will eat apples. I have magnesium which has helped in the past plus all my other vitamins. I am eliminating sugar from my diet, which i have done in the past. I am going to bed at my normal time and not staying up late, like I did last night. (I usually sleep 9 hours a night without waking up!) I am practicing deep breathing and light yoga exercises and my balance ball routine daily. I am staying warm and inside.

Most importantly, I am not going to worry and am not going to multi-task. I will look at this time as a mini-vacation that is much needed after the holidays and then feeling responsible for my daughter's entertainment for more than a month.

I hope these things will help my symptoms and keep other ones from manifesting. I am not having too much difficulty constructing sentences in this post so that is good thing.

I am on disability for fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain. I planned to go back to work within the next few months. My SSDI review is in June of 07 and I thought I would be sent back to work because I have been so much better since the onset of symptoms in 2004. Hopefully, I will still be able to start working soon.

I am grateful for so many things: for my understanding family, friends here on this board, a great rheumatologist, pain mgmt doctor, and chiropractor, who by the way does myofascial release, and that I have been able to get off the percocet which I developed an addiction too. I have cut from 80mg of valium down to 10 mg a day over the last few months. I was able to stop the Ultram, neurontin, Abilify, and cut Wellbutrin by half. I quit smoking. After a brief alcohol relapse, I have been sober for over 6 months. I lost 34 lbs. in the last year. All of this by the grace of God and his power in my life.

Thanks for reading this long post. It has helped me to type it and most of all to remember my blessings and that I have nothing to fear at this moment.

I am sending love, peace, and hopes of health your way through cyber space.

Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Relapse after long remission of FMS symptoms

Good luck to you Donna. You've got a sensible plan in place for starters. Sometimes when the whole cascade is nipped early it's easier to reverse than when it's gone on for years.

Take care.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

well there you are!
figured you were having fun enjoying a remission from fibro. ah, kiddo. it just does not magically go away. i had a remission several years ago that lasted almost a year. it was heaven.
i am proud of you for working this thru. sounds like you have had a good learning experience and you got the message, rather loud and clear. ouch. i'm sorry you hurt.
i have been hearing on the news out here about your weather. one of my granddaughters just moved to kansas. what an intro to plains winter.
snuggle down, play bed drive in movie and pop some pop corn.
caffiene really rips you doesn't it? me too. we are so sensitive, like the beautiful princess in the faery tale, we know if there is a pea at the bottom of one hundred mattresses, and we know discomfort.
i really, really am proud of the way you put it all down here. writing is a good way to work thru anything you need to think on and visualize. puts it right there in front of you.
love ya sis,
blue

Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Thanks for the support and understanding.

I didn't rest as much as I expected, but am very grateful that we were right on the edge of the bad weather and the ice melted off the roads by Sunday the 14th so i was able to drive my daughter back to school, a 6 hour road trip. I am very grateful that we didn't lose power, this would have been the 3rd time.

Today the house is very quiet. I have the day all to myself--- nowhere I have to be. It feels soooo good to relax. I have been expending so much energy and need this. I am true believer in the mind/body connection. I am going to focus on my spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental health and take care of me so I can get on the other side of this flare and be productive again.

Today I also set boundaries with a friend who is very negative and really brings me down. Parts of our relationship have not been a healthy one for me. I love her dearly and am sure that this change will benefit us both as I was only enabling her by letting her vent all her hostilities on me. It felt good to be assertive with her instead of passively receiving the negativity.

Sometimes the answer is within ourselves and sometimes we must ask for help, but the answer is there if we seek it. It is so important to focus on the solution and not the problem. This is a vital part of my healing process in regards to fibromyalgia. Like I said in my first post, stress is my number one trigger for a flare.

Peace and love,

Donna

Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

enjoy your well earned rest.
well done on the boundaries with your friend. i did the same with an old dear girlfriend. after she got mad and went off for 3 years she returned a changed woman. she returned to our friendship as an equal partner and we have had fun ever since. she keeps her downers to herself if she has them. i never see it.
slept the morning away. time to get something done. hey, i know. a shower!
giggle,
blue

Closed Thread