It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User
Does anyone else get electric shocks?

I have fibro, but have other symptoms as well-I'm not sure if they are also fibro symptoms. My doc said they may be MS, but neuro said it's all in my head!!!

Does anyone else get these electric shock type shooting things going down spine and into arms and legs. My muscles go and I can't pick anything up or walk, (when they're at their worst)They can last anything from seconds to a couple of hours. SOmetimes I get numb which can last a few mintues or a few weeks.

Please, can anyone help me? Is this part of fibro, or do I need to fight for some tests? (I haven't had ANY tests)

Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User
Re: Does anyone else get electric shocks?

Does the fact that noone has replied mean you don't get these symptoms? Please help, it's as important for me to know if you don't get them, as it is if you do! Thank you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I get what I call zappers, they are quick shooting pains, come and go at will. Had them on and off this Am in my foot but get a lot in my chest area, they can go from shoulder to shoulder, go from the low rib into the breast.They scare me because they are so hard and and so fast, come out if no where. They feel like a shock.

I don't know if that is what you are referring to but I was told it was nerve pain.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 02-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User

Thanks Linda for your reply. I have had pains like that, though not for a while. These once actually seem to effect my muscles. I think I'll just have to go back and try and get some answers.

Thanks again Linda, I really appreciate it! I hope your pains get better soon. I had a wonderful physio who did alot of deep tissue massage and really got into my points on my body. I've hardly had any of type pains since (they may be different from the ones your experiencing?)

Take care, lots of hugs Niki x

Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I was just reading an article today that stated that electric shock type of pain is an indication of low B-12.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Does anyone else get electric shocks?

"Radiculopathy" may not entirely cover it, but it would be a good search term to start with.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

I would suggest to you get more tests. I would find another neuro and explain to him/her your symptoms. Your symptoms could be MS or other neurological diseases. Like someone stated low B-12 could also cause your symptoms. I was dx with FMS in 1992, disabled in 1993 and then dx ME/CFS in 1994. I was recently dx with MS 12/06. I had numbness and other problems that I just assume were under the umbrella of CFS/FMS symptoms. I was wrong. What your are describing are possible MS symptoms listed below.

Neuralgia, Neuropathic and Neurogenic pain Pain without apparent cause, burning, itching and electrical shock sensations.

Muscle weakness - partial or mild paralysis

Paraesthesia Partial numbness, tingling, buzzing and vibration sensations

I know that the symptoms you are describing are not fibro but neuro related. They are not normal. I am not saying you have MS or not have MS which is very hard to dx. MS dx is the process of eliminating all other diseases or reasons.

I hope this helps.

Bunni

Old 02-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User

Thank you so much Bunni! Your response is really interesting and reassuring (believe it or not) as I do keep questioning whether they are all in my head! But if they were- they wouldn't keep surprising me!Would they?

Thank you for the encouragement. I will go back to my doctors next week and ask for some tests!

I'm sorry to hear you have MS. Do you have this as well as the fibro and CFS? I hope you're not in too much discomfort!!

Lots of hugs
Niki x

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

could it be muscle spasm?
robin

Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I get all kinds of weird things happening with me and I do not have MS, first thing they checked me for.I was dxed with fm 22 years ago. I get tingling, shock like sensations, numbing, burning, feels like bugs drawling on me etc, etc. But it is better to get checked and make sure.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
(female)

GBrown926 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixi View Post
I have fibro, but have other symptoms as well-I'm not sure if they are also fibro symptoms. My doc said they may be MS, but neuro said it's all in my head!!!

Does anyone else get these electric shock type shooting things going down spine and into arms and legs. My muscles go and I can't pick anything up or walk, (when they're at their worst)They can last anything from seconds to a couple of hours. SOmetimes I get numb which can last a few mintues or a few weeks.

Please, can anyone help me? Is this part of fibro, or do I need to fight for some tests? (I haven't had ANY tests)
I get those same pains, my pain doc, nuero and rhumatoid doc all thought it was MS. 2 years in a row my brain MRI is normal. I take 60mg of Cymbalta which has cut the shocks back from several every day to just a few a month.
Feels just like sticking your finger in the wall socket. I get them from my neck down my arms and occasionaly from neck all the way down my spine. Hope this helps in some way. I have so many weird symptoms I think I must be crazy. Good lluck to you.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Nixi,

I am glad you are getting more tests. I hope you find out answers soon.

I'm relieved that I dx as soon as I did with MS. Not that I want MS but I didn't get left out for years while things got worse. I just started having MS pains, the tightness in my upper thighs. It makes it hard to walk or drive just a short distance. The most discomfort right now is from Avonex. It gives me flu like symptoms. It like me having the flu every Monday. Hopefully, my body will adjust and the symptoms fade in a month or two.

I just had another MRI to check for progression. My right leg a couple weeks ago didn't want to move. I really had to concentrate on it to get it to move and I was dragging it. And with it the double vision occurs. My neuro is concern that I am getting worse (weaker) even with treatment.

Yes, I still have fibro. I have all the tender points and other problems. I deal with TMJ. I still wear a splint at night. ME/CFS. How do I tell the fatigue from that and MS. I don't know. All these symptoms cross over. I just know that when I try to exercise, I go into an anerobic state very quickly. My pulse rate is above my maximum target rate. Doctors or people will say it is from deconditioning but I exercised (lightly) for six months and suffered for doing it. My heart rate still was anerobic just from a warm-up. I should have been conditioned in 6 months.

Thank you for concern.

Lots of hugs back to you,

Bunni

Closed Thread