It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

plewmom HB User
No tender points?

Hi all,
I'm typically a lurker on these boards, but I have a question... has anyone else been diagnosed with fibro and not have any tender points?

I've been on the "diagnosis-go-round" for about four years... My family doc first thought I had lupus or RA, but none of the bloodwork came back with anything conclusive. I saw a rheumy - bloodwork inconclusive, so he gave me a diagnosis of fibro. When I asked about tender points... he said he didn't want to check because he "knew" that they would hurt.

In reading everyone's posts, some of the symptoms seem to fit, but many don't. My pain is limited to my hands, wrists and feet, I don't have the widespread pain that so many people talk about.

Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

sara313 HB User
Re: No tender points?

When I saw the rheum for my diagnosis, I was tender at most all of the tender spots. But I didn't know it before that. I have a lot of pain in various places....back, knees, ankles, neck...but the tender points are places I wasn't even aware of. My point is that you probably are tender in those spots....you may not be aware of it w/o someone putting pressure exactly on those points. Does that make any sense?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

When I am not in a flare, my tender points can be almost non-existent. Not that Im not feeling fluey on a daily basis or the achy-fluey feeling. My tender points just get better and worse with my health. I was in a 2 yr. flare and no denying, 11-15 tender points were noted by my rheumy and GP, during every visit to them.
Saw one rheumy who only pointed out 3??? She basically told me I was crazy and needed a psychiatrist. She was a real C to the T. I should have recorded THAT appointment. It was a perfect example of an unsupportive rheumetologist...what they say and the attitude you get when they themselves don't believe this is actually a condition that causes enough agony to be a disability. Not that I would wish the pain of my flares on any body but the thought does cross your mind when your docs are insensitive a-holes.
I personally haven't heard of fibro just causing pain in hands and feet... I guess it is possible. I would insist that your doc check for your tender points just to ease your mind. Remember, he works for YOU!
Feel well, Felicia

Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi, I just want to say be careful what you wish for, I have ALL of the tender points and if any of them are pressed I am usually sent into a flare. If I go to a new doc and They go to press (which they sometimes do without warning because I guess they want that surprise factor) on a trigger point I always stop them. I say I know I have fibro, so please don't do it! They usually go for the ones between neck and shoulders, probobly because they think you can't tell what they are going to do if they come at you from behind! This may be why your doc didn't do it,but if you really want to know and have it done, be prepared!
Kara

Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

cantell HB User

hope this helps!

Tender points, Trigger points and Pressure points (usually called acupressure points) are all separate things.

Tender points
Tender points are part of the official FMS diagnostic as laid out by the American College of Rheumatology - where pain is needed to be recorded in 11 out of 18 specific tender point sites. However, this test was devised for sorting inclusion in a research study and was never designed to be a diagnostic tool. The tender point test is not a very accurate test, as the number of tender points found can vary as symptoms wax and wane...and you also need a very good doctor for the test to be remotely true anyway. Some people say that fibro tender points are latent trigger points, but they are definitely separate from active trigger points!

Trigger points
Trigger points are hard points in the myofascial muscle that hurt to the touch AND refer pain and/or other symptoms elsewhere.
Acupressure points
Acupressure (a portmanteau of "acupuncture" and "pressure") is a traditional Chinese medicine technique based on the same ideas as acupuncture. Acupressure involves placing physical pressure by hand, elbow, or with the aid of various devices on different acupuncture points on the surface of the body. Acupressure points can do a variety of things including relieve pain.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

My doctor says I have Fibro but doesn't believe in Tender Points. he claims someone took biopsies of the so called tender Points in Fibro patients and the tissue showed no difference than normal tissue. So if the tissue was normal in everyway, then how can they hurt. I myself never believed in them. I found if someone pressed harder on the so called pressure points then it hurt a little. I never pressed on any of my pressure and they hurt. yet I have severve Fibro that has me on pain meds every day.

Closed Thread