It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

shabbyanne HB User
any experience with neurontin or immunologist?

I've been on Neurontin for almost two months now and maybe it's just coincindence, but I feel so much better. Sleep so soundly too. And has anybody ever seen an immunologist for fibro? This was suggested by my gp.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

marie59 HB User
Re: any experience with neurontin or immunologist?

ive been taking neurontin since december with dosage increases.im up to 5000 mg and feeling better.also doing chemo for over a yr,so that could be working too.glad to hear you fel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

on Neurontin, and not helping. i'm on 300mg twice a day. I'm also on Flexeril 3x's a day and Mobic once a day. Nothing is seeming to be helping me Although i can say that without the Mobic......OMG!!! i'm in worse pain and actually cry. now i just want to cry, cause i am so over being in pain all the time.
good to hear you are feeling better

Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

shabbyanne HB User

I think I spoke too soon. Had horrible night where every inch of me is screaming in pain. I only take 300 mg. of neurontin. Dr. did say we'd keep upping dose, so guess I'll try that. I'd like to try Flexeril, but have a hard time suggesting drugs to try to my doctor. She's the one who suggested seeing an immunologist. Also a neurologist. Do you happen to take Neurontin in the daytime? Was wondering just how sleepy it can make you. I know I sleep like a log at night. But I've been suffering bad anxiety and depression for the last few weeks, and wonder if taking it during day would mellow me out without knocking me out!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

shabbyanne......i take 300 in the late morning and 300 at nite. I don't think it's the neurontin that makes me so tired on the days i am soooo tired, as i have tried without the neurontin to see if it's that, and it was not. I think it's just the pain in general that may make us soooo tired. I also take Lexapro for anxiety, but that was prescribed from my reg. doc. My rheumy told me that there is another medication for pain that we may try, i forget the name of it, but he said he really only likes to prescribe it for his patients that have had back and spinal surgeries. I go back to see him on the 27th of next month. But i may not wait that long. Today i'm having a pretty good day so far. doing the around the house things that need to be done, like laundry. I've learned to take it easy, and try to spread out household chores and things. As if i do them all at once, when i feel good, like today, then tomorrow i'll be exhausted and have a horrible day. and it's my weekend off too. I work in a rehab & long term care facility, doing 12 hour shifts. so the days that i work..........FORGET IT! I come home and feed the kids and do my 4 yr. olds bath. that's it! I also have Vicodin, and hydocodone for pain if i need, but i've tried those, and they really don't work either. Also have a script for Percocet, but didn't fill it, as that KNOCKS ME OUT!
I wish you good luck and hope you find what makes you feel better. It's more or less a trial and error for everyone, as the same medications don't work the same for everyone.
LOL.........sorry about the blabbing on......
take care

Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

gunner00 HB User

KissAmeGal - was the drug Lyrica? I am currently taking that (50mg) and it has helped the pain in my hands but not the nerve pain/damage in my leg from my back surgery. It is so good to have my hands back I can deal with the leg pain. It made me alittle sleepy after taking it but I have gotten used to it. I started taking the med slowly - one pill for first couple of days then increased - until I adjusted to it.
I have taken Flexeril 10mg for almost a year. It really knocked me out in the beginning - could only takd 1/2 a pill. But by the end, I was taking a whole pill and it wasn't helping the pain just making me groggy. Rheumi told me that there are better drugs than Flexeril and put me on Clonazepam .5mg. I sleep like a log with some grogginess in the am which I can handle as long as I can sleep.
I haven't tried Neurontin but I am interested in asking my rheumi about it.

Shabbyanne - I have heard of people seeing a immunologist for fibro since the disease is considered an immune disorder. I thing most just see rheumi's. Where
every you get the best result is all that matters.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

gunner00........no, it wasn't Lyrica. It was something that i haven't heard of. I'll let ya know when i ask him about it. It may be what he tries me on next. I've heard of Neurontin working for others, and they really like it, but it's not working for me, as far as being pain free. But i don't think i'll ever be pain free.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
(female)

Ishla HB User
Unhappy Re: any experience with neurontin or immunologist?

Interesting reads, but I have a question and I've never been on a forum before today, so please bear with me.

Yesterday I had 2 fillings and 2 extractions and since research has led be to believe I MUST have FMS or similar condition (I've got an ice bag balanced on my noggin' at the moment..owww), I was wondering if anyone would happen to know if Novocain can trigger excessive pain in the day and week following dental work. I'm taking the max dose of script pain pills and still feel like there's an icepick shoved into my jaw socket. The extraction site is virtually painless, but my jaw and temple, nearest is killing me.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
(female)

Proud2BMe HB User

Ishla, yes, many people have problems after having had Novocaine. I get Migraines, and so does my sister. Try taking a migraine med. Call Dr. and see if he can give you some samples. If nothing else, try one of the over the counter ones. Just be careful not to exceed the maximum dose for Tylenol for more than a few days (3 or 4 max).

J

Old 03-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
(female)

Ishla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BMe View Post
Ishla, yes, many people have problems after having had Novocaine. I get Migraines, and so does my sister. Try taking a migraine med. Call Dr. and see if he can give you some samples. If nothing else, try one of the over the counter ones. Just be careful not to exceed the maximum dose for Tylenol for more than a few days (3 or 4 max).

J
Okay, thanks, Proud2bme... I'll try that. Still working on current Doc. He's a dream come true so far as he's the first that confirmed a case of hypothyroid for me. Now I have to see if he'll confirm FMS, and go from there. I feel much better today, now just a "normal" tooth ache. EASY to deal with.

Closed Thread