It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Can fibromyalgia make flu symptoms worse?

Hi there... I'm 35 years old and was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia after dealing with all these symptoms for years. After my diagnosis I decided I had to take control of my health, and have begun working out a few times a week and being more careful about my diet. As a result I had begun to feel a bit better. But yesterday I was hit with a flu bug. I've never felt this sick - ever! So can having fibromyalgia make our flu symptoms more severe? Dizziness is one of my worst fibro symtpoms (after the fatigue) and, well everytime I stood up yesterday I became so dizzy that it brought on severe vomiting. And the pain throughout my body is unreal. It may just be an especially bad flu bug, but I wanted to ask about this anyway.

Thanks! Great board!

kd

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: Can fibromyalgia make flu symptoms worse?

WOW KD,
That sounds like more than the flu. Ouch!!! You poor dear!!! I luckily have not gotten the flu since my dx... and if I did, I probably wouldn't have noticed!!!! LOL!!! I feel like I have the flu most of the time. So glad I can find humor in my pains. If I took them all too seriously, Ide be a hypochondriac!
I just went through a horrible time of dizzy spells. More so caused from a change in medication. Went back to the old and they have gone...for the most part.
Well, I hope you're feeling better, please come back and let us know how your doing!
Feel Well, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
(female)

gunner00 HB User

I don't know for sure but two years ago I have the flu like what you are discriping.
I hadn't been dx yet but had been suffering symptoms for over a year. I got the flu and I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. My body hurt everywhere, I had no energy to move, to walk around was nearly impossible due to dizziness. I was in bed for 4 day before I started feeling better. I never have felt that bad with the flu before.
I went and got a flu shot this year in hopes to avoid a repeat. So far, so good.
If you don't feel better soon call your doc.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks Felicia and Gunner for your replies. This flu has turned into the worse chest cold I've ever had. What fun. And the really frustrating thing is, that I had just started on a drug to help me sleep more deeply - l-tryptophane (I think I spelled that right..??). After my first night on it, I actually had a good day. My first day since last summer where I had physical and mental energy enough to get through my day with no problems. And then this. Oh well... what can a person do but laugh? This too shall pass...

thanks!

kd

Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

merphi1024 HB User

I think FM can make the flu worse. I had the flu about 3 months ago with a fever and a headache and the body aches were so severe that I could hardly get up off the bed or couch and I shuffled to the bathroom or the kitchen hardly able to move my legs. I have never had body aches soooo bad before and I figured it was because the fibro was making it worse.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Fibro Makes Everything Worse !

Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

merphi1024 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdel View Post
Fibro Makes Everything Worse !
Very well put. I totally understand.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
(male)

firefox1 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Can fibromyalgia make flu symptoms worse?

I must beg to differ with you. For me, i have found that when i get the flu, its like the best thing that ever happens. My fms/cfs symptoms seem to give way and hide, and even though the flu isnt a nice thing, i almost feel at peace with my body. Its very odd, but has been the case for me for almost 10 years.
Ive often thought that what could be the connection with fibro and the common cold, and why do i feel better!!!

Closed Thread