It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Swollen lymph node in neck

My lymph node under my jaw is swollen, has been since early February. It seems bigger now, and is actually bothering me as in I feel pressure. I have no diagnosis, but am sick to death of going to the doctors and having them act like there is nothing wrong with me. I have a referral to a rheumatologist, but don't have a scheduled apt. yet.

Here is my question, as I'm freaking out about this swollen lymph node. My neck, shoulder and upper chest on the left side (same side as the lymph node) feel like there is pressure in them. A few days ago there was a lot of pain in my upper back and shoulder and neck on the left, so my husband massaged it really good two days in a row. Now I just have pressure, no pain, and at least the one swollen lymph node.

Can swollen lymph nodes be a symptom of fibro? What about the pressure in my neck, shoulder and chest? I'm not wanting to go back to the doctor if I can help it cause he always just acts like there's really nothing wrong with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Swollen lymph node in neck

Hi Wondering:

The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is an infection that the body is fighting off. Less often, the cause will be auto-immune/immune disorders or cancer (such as Hodgkins). Initially, the node may become very tender and sore while the body is in the process of fighting the infection, then becomes less painful when the battle is successfully won.

Ask yourself the following questions:
Is your gland becoming smaller after several weeks or has it continued to get larger?
Is your swollen gland red and tender?
Does your gland feel hard, irregular, or fixed in place?
Do you have a fever, night sweats, or unexplained weight loss?

Since you would qualify for concern since your node has grown larger and has been so for more than several weeks, has your doctor performed a liver or kidney function test or other advanced tests to rule out problems?

Personally, I don't believe the swollen lymph node is an FMS issue. I would suggest you stay on top of this MD or go to someone else who will listen to your concerns. When you were elaborating on the lack of concern your doctor was displaying, red flags were going up in my head! The rheumy is a good start.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
(male)

deuche HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingtoo;2***481
My lymph node under my jaw is swollen, has been since early February. It seems bigger now, and is actually bothering me as in I feel pressure. I have no diagnosis, but am sick to death of going to the doctors and having them act like there is nothing wrong with me. I have a referral to a rheumatologist, but don't have a scheduled apt. yet.

Here is my question, as I'm freaking out about this swollen lymph node. My neck, shoulder and upper chest on the left side (same side as the lymph node) feel like there is pressure in them. A few days ago there was a lot of pain in my upper back and shoulder and neck on the left, so my husband massaged it really good two days in a row. Now I just have pressure, no pain, and at least the one swollen lymph node.

Can swollen lymph nodes be a symptom of fibro? What about the pressure in my neck, shoulder and chest? I'm not wanting to go back to the doctor if I can help it cause he always just acts like there's really nothing wrong with me.
It might be worthwhile checking G**gle for 'Sarcoidosis'. I have been diagnosed with this. For a while it was thought there may be a lymphomas under my jaw, but after an operation to remove one of the many swollen nodes, this diagnosis was made.

I hope this may help.

Deuche.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Hi Won2, I too get a gland that swells, behind my left ear when I am in a flair. Mine has also been around since early Feb, when my flair seemed to peek. I also chalk mine up to constant tonsil, throat, sinus problems. I have also had ear pain, but in both my ears. Docs said no infection, just a red throat and tonsils swollen. Took 2 rounds of antibiotics that did nothing. A week later, I think I had my first case of Miofacial pain. Just so happened on the same side as my swollen gland. I thought my face hurting was from my sinuses. Had an x-ray last week to be sure I didn't have a tumor it hurt so bad. Everything was clear.
I am only allergic to dust and mold, minutely...isn't everyone? I have a slight deviated septum...not enough to cause so much infection. Why on earth have I suffered all my life with so many sinus/tonsil/throat/ear infections?
I also get what I call, "a painful vain," that seems to come from around the back of my ear and along side my temple than up the side of my head, on the same side as my gland. It will swell and be very painful to the touch. Also only happens when Im in a flair and my gland is swollen and my neck and shoulders are stiff and sore. My neck and shoulder pain isn't a-symmetrical, mine is on both sides.
I have been trying to clean my head by using a sinus flush and gargle. 1 cp distilled water, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. liquid glycerin. Just trying to irrigate and clean out what ever germs are stuck. A woman I once had a conversation about sinus infections told me to do this many years ago. She does this everyday and hasn't had a problem with any kind of sinus/throat/ear infections since.
My thought? Do you still have your tonsils, or maybe it has something to do with your inner ear. The flushing and gargling might help.
But to answer your question, for me, swollen glands are just another scary and confusing consequence to my fibro story.
Feel well, Felicia

Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
(female)

sparkaloo HB User

do you havee a dx of CFS? Maybe see another Dr.

Closed Thread