It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

tazz72 HB User
Question Any experience constant itching???

Hi Guys,
It has been a while....Hope everyone is feeling good!
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has constant itchy skin related to fibro? It is so annoying along with all the other pains/discomfort that goes along with this condition.
Take Care,
Tazz

Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Any experience constant itching???

Hi Tazz,

I have this, and it drives me CRAZY! Especially at night! I can't sleep because as soon as I get comfy, I have to scratch ten different places. My sweetie even gets irritated with me after a while, and growls "take a benadryl"! I'm sorry you are Itchy, and I am Scratchy, but I'm glad it's not just me......scratch......

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Like, just itchy skin or something more like hives? Cause I get hives, we don't know why, but I am taking medicine that keeps me from getting them 98% of the time. Just another thing added to my long list of ickiness . . .

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

I have had episodes of itching. A few years befored my dx also had eczema on my legs. First time, only time and it lasted like 9 months. Never actually got the dry patches like that again, but have experienced itching from time to time with fibro. Went through it when we got a realy cold spell and my flare peeked the beginning of Feb. Thought it was dry skin from the cold, then everyone here was saying they itched too, so Im assuming it was from the fibro.
Feel Well, Felicia

Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Red face Re: Any experience constant itching???

It's interesting, I get it also and the BIZARRE thing is when the "episodes" occur it's usually centered in one specific spot. There are those times when I get the OVER-ALL itching, but for the most part if will be in one area and it's really frustrating.

If there's any ideas or suggestions for I would APPRECIATE it!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
(female)

cantell HB User

Hi all HIVES!! I hate em!!

I feel for ya! and all who have the itching and hives...so do I and man do I relate! Mine has been around for 7 years now..not to scare you just want to pitch in my fifty cents worth.. (cost of living raise)..I will no doubt spell this wrong but mine was dx'd as idiot uticaria..this kind doctors dont know what causes it or should I say them? or how to cure them.

Hives are not fun..there are folks that get them in their throths and it swells shut on them..they have to carry an epi pen around with them ALWAYS because you never know when the hives will attack...these are the kind you hear about folks eating shell fish..peanut butter, whey stuff like that.
or getting stung by a bug!!

you can type in hives on this board and go to some very informative post on this subject.. I think its under skin problems?? or allergy's?

If its a food alergy you could do a elimanation thingy on the things that you eat..maybe pin point if that is causing the problem or not?

there is alot of pollen out this year it could be that? or pets also causes some skin irritations..Just some Ideals on where to start?

The ones I have are not fibro related I dont think? well...I had the hives before I was dx'd with the fibro..or I have had fibro from the start?

Anyway I was in a really bad flare and was looking for some relief..home cure, grandma's recipe etc...anything!! anyway, there is no cure for this..doctor pats you on the head gives you a script that takes some of the edge off an off you go.

some say to take a cold shower..some say calimine lotion, that oat meal lotion, benadryl, lavender lotion, any anti itch lotion I tried them all then some heck I looked like a walking posin oak factory and a calimine lotion ad people would (kin folk) ask me if I was contagious for a lonnnnnggg time (Thank god I only got some on my face one time) they would disapear when I would go to the doctor to SHOW him the nasty sucker's. humm after all these years the only doctor to actually SEE the hives was a few years back..I had surgury and the next morning my hands, arms, face, ears and head looked like a malfuctioning pumpkin on its way to exploding.

mine started with a raized rash on my left forearm..and the stingy itching in my skin could be in one area like my back, legs, arms, shoulders..or all over it would be worse at night as soon as I layed down...grrrrrr.. i purchased some tylynol pm during this time. these I could not see only where I scratched at.

over the years its been skeeter bite looking hives (these were the most itchy misureable ones) then there is the goose eggs and a combo of skeeter bite looking hives! if I get these on one side of my body I get them on the other side in the same area..wierd these lasted a few minutes to a few hours then disapear.

oh and not to leave out the scalded raized red area ones that could be the legnth of my whole side or a large part of my back! this type HURT..it felt like it was on fire and like it was a nasty bruise..dont mention touching it or me when these had control. these lovely hives lasted a day or days then disapear.

the goose egg kind would pop up anywhere and anytime..like scalp, back of neck, elbow, side of knees etc..these felt like some one wacked me with a baseball bat when they would pop up then just be very tender and hot to touch like they had fever in them! these lasted a few hours to 8 hours then disapear.

another thing on the cause of hives and itchie's is stress!! I find that if I let myself get upset, angry, worried about something...the hives breed on this for me anyway..so I have to stay Happy alot!

since fibro dx'D I have had to use anti stress meds and I have noticed a huge difference in how offten I get hives its went from every other day to once or twice a month...yeah!!! they are much milder...now on the flip side 3 days ago I started being itchie in a small area on my chest..its red and when I scratch it it feels like tiny bubbles are popping there are little t tiny bumps there but it kinda grosses me out..I guess its the sound of it this new itchie is just different.

I know I may not have helped you out but all in all anything and everything I used for the itches helped to some degree. its not a cure! and I am still living and dealing with it....but I truly believe that stress is the monster behind alot of hives and itches that I get. they have always poped up during or after one of these emotional situations. ok rattled to long!! SSSL!

Last edited by cantell; 04-05-2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: general answer not pretaning to just one poster

Old 04-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
(female)

tazz72 HB User

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the responses. It is good to know there are others out there experiencing the same thing. For me it is mostly my back/shoulders & arms ....worse at night!Along with the constant back/neck/shoulder pain,fatigue & numbness there are days I feel I am about to lose it!!! Nice to have someone to talk to who REALLY understands!
Take Care,
Tazz

Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Thyroid antibodies bind to mast cells in the skin, causing them to release histamine, leading to itchiness and/or hives. In the early stages, the itching & hives are primarily in the upper half of the body.

The only way to determine whether thyroid antibodies are causing the itchiness is to have the specific antibodies tested for. It's not part of routine screening, you have to lobby for it or find a lab that will let you self-order the tests.

Some (but not all) allergists understand the connection between thyroid antibodies & hives. Very few MDs of other stripes (gps, endos, obgyns, im) are on top of the connection.

When thyroid antibodies are elevated & contributing to serious hives, the problem often comes under control with suppression of TSH with thyroid meds. Finding a doc willing to supervise that little maneuvre is very difficult at present due to the disease-industry-manager groupthink on 'the horrors of suppressed TSH,' -- but it can be done.

Obviously there are can be any number of causes for hives. But when the more common causes have been ruled out, IMO anyone who is truly suffering should consider get the appropriate testing done.

And for those who are told their hives are caused by anxiety -- yes, it is possible that anxiety alone can cause the problem; however, anxiety often accompanies elevated thyroid antibodies ...

Best wishes.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Exclamation Re: Any experience constant itching???

Liver problems can also cause itching (urticaria).

Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
(female)

purplelady77 HB User

HI,
YES, I have itching also, but it is only on the tops of my feet. I just keep wondering what is wrong.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
(female)

purplelady77 HB User

Cantell,
Your post help me realize I am not crazy. I have had the same itching problems you have had. WEIRD PLACES too.. Mine have only been on my head (those are the knots like golf balls that swell and burn and then go away after a few days. I have the raise little blister type things on my feet only. They itch and burn and don't go away. Sometimes my feet swell and just turn red and itch awful... and I can't get much to calm it down. I have resorted to the ALOE plant.
I thought at first I was allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs, because everytime I took one I broke out in the knots and rash. Now it is happening and I am not taking those med at all.
Do you really this it is stress induced? I don't feel stressed. But I am taking 20 mg. Lexapro.
Dr. diagnosed me with FIBRO about 6 months ago. No meds have worked. I'm about to tear my hair out!!
Any advise?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
(female)

Iansmama HB User

wow, I didnt know itching and hives could be related to FMS, but this is interesting, I do get itching, and hives and am allergic type! so sounds like there is a connection there! wow all my weird little dysfunctions are all part of one big problem! YAY (Im not a crazy basketcase afterall...heheh)

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
(female)

cantell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelady77 View Post
Cantell,
Your post help me realize I am not crazy. I have had the same itching problems you have had. WEIRD PLACES too.. Mine have only been on my head (those are the knots like golf balls that swell and burn and then go away after a few days. I have the raise little blister type things on my feet only. They itch and burn and don't go away. Sometimes my feet swell and just turn red and itch awful... and I can't get much to calm it down. I have resorted to the ALOE plant.
I thought at first I was allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs, because everytime I took one I broke out in the knots and rash. Now it is happening and I am not taking those med at all.
Do you really this it is stress induced? I don't feel stressed. But I am taking 20 mg. Lexapro.
Dr. diagnosed me with FIBRO about 6 months ago. No meds have worked. I'm about to tear my hair out!!
Any advise?

Hiya's
I thought I would throw in before I get started along with Fibro I have the memory thingy going on as alot of folks do..anyway I forgot about this post and some days I ramble on so much no wonder I forgot
anyways this morning I woke up and the back of my hands felt swollen but didnt look swollen!! felt like they got steped on by a horse! I thought that rigimortis was setting in!! LOL then later this morning my hands loosened up and I started Itching on my arms mostly..I got to looking and there were noticable knots just under the skin..it really was an itch stinging kinda thing going on. which brought me back to the boards AGAIN!

Now to try to answer you but please! Pleaseeee only you know your body and for any reason your condition does not clear up or gets worse go see your doctor!!!
the post I made pretty much say's it all I am my on expert on MY hives. Now you mentioned the goose egg knots on your head. I cant really do anything when this happen's to me..but, when the same kind of knots pop up on my knees or other parts of the body I put a cold pack..well a gal plastic baggie of Ice on them and it cools them down and makes the swelling go down in short it make them feel better.
FYI
(The only med's I took for years up until 3 or 4 months ago was advil, tylonol, excedrien) cant remember to take something on a reg basic...

Now the one's on your feet are they blisters or red raised areas? I get the red raised areas on my feet the tops and bottoms to where I cant wear shoes (my whole foot swells to up passed my ankles) or when it really gets bad on the soles of my feet I cant walk until the swelling goes down. (I have had to throw out all my heals and one pair of tennis shoes because of this) at my wedding reception I was bare footed. when this happens I GET OFF MY FEET and prop them up with the ice baggie again.

now, if you have blisters with the fluid in them on your feet..I dont know nothing about this..you might want to check on the lupus symptoms board for ideas. good luck to you and happy scratching..just kidding!! oh and you are not crazy re-read and repete you are not crazy!! u want to know crazy? I emailed opra winfrey show and ask that they do a show of fibro!! LOL because of how crazy fribo makes people..simply because alot of people dont believe it exsist.
~take care~ and I truly hope you find relief

Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User
Lightbulb Re: Any experience constant itching???

I sometimes get itchy hands and feet, occasionally my arms itch. I don't know if it's from all the Vicodin I take or something else. It happens when I don't take the Vicodin and when I do take it, so I'm not sure if the Vicodin is the cause, though I've heard it's possible.

I do 2 things for this itching. I use an OTC anti-itch cream which sometimes helps with less intense itching on hands and feet.

If the itching is really driving me crazy, I soak the itchy parts (hands, feet) in really cold water. This usually provides immediate relief, and sometimes after a few minutes the itching goes away. If not, I go back to the ice water and follow that up with the anti-itch cream.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by EverythingHurts; 04-18-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
(female)

natesmommie HB User

I also have the skin itching,
it drives me crazy especiallywhen i'm ready to go to bed,
i was wondering if it was fibro related
Bernadette

Closed Thread