It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Hearing REALLY high pitched ringing from all TVs. What is this?

I saw the post about noise sensitivity, and I had a question.

This might sound really bizarre, but have you ever heard that high pitched ringing from a TV when you first turn it on?

People think I'm kind of insane, because I hear that ringing from TVs all the time--with most TVs. I can't stand it. It only started happening after I got migraines from the FM, and now I can't even watch TV in my room anymore because it's such a horrible sound--like nails on a chalkboard. And it's not a low ringing, either; it's an awfully obnoxious and loud ringing. I've tried just turning up the sound on the TV's to see if it drowns it out, but I can still hear it.

I get dizzy from the sound, and I get headaches. It hurts to sit in a doctor's office that has a TV; sometimes I get the full migraine from the ringing.

I know it sounds bizarre, but has anyone ever experienced this? It's one of the absolute worst symptoms that I have; I'd like to get rid of it, or at least figure out why I'm hearing such high pitched sounds that most other people can't hear.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: Hearing REALLY high pitched ringing from all TVs. What is this?

Well, I hear it too, and I do know a few other people who do too. But, yeah, everyone else thinks I'm crazy. I can walk in to a room or even be near a room and could tell you that a T.V. is on without seeing it or the sound being on.

It does not, however, affect me the way it seems to affect you. For me, it is just annoying, but it doesn't do anything else to me.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

Last'sGal HB User

I also hear things that others do not. I feel lucky that most of them do not affect me the way you describe. We have TVs & computers in almost every room of the house, so I'm glad I don't have that one! However, I can hear a dog whistle... which is not supposed to happen! I can hear power lines buzzing when others cannot. I can hear people chewing as though they have a mouth full of water as well as food. I hear high-pitched whines from an unknown source. Normally, if I give my brain something else to focus on... music, for example... I can get it off of whatever is driving me crazy at the moment.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

i recently have heard that ringing, but only a few times. i had to mute the tv to see where it was coming from. i found that if i turned up the cable and turned down the tv it helped. probably not the same reason you hear it but glad to know i'm not alone.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

marie72 HB User

TO LASTSGIRL

I had a friend that had a premature son years ago. And he could hear sounds that we couldn't like a plane coming minutes before we heard it. He cried at normal sounds as if they hurt him. It ended up he had super-sensitive hearing. All she had to do is get him a few sessions with a hearing therapist who disensitied his hearing so that he could block out the sounds that were so intense. I'm sure he would have heard the dog whistle also, the sound of a piano made him cry. Now, he's fine, he hears what we all hear and nothing more.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Hearing REALLY high pitched ringing from all TVs. What is this?

Tinnitus can be a side effect of certain drugs, or it can happen because of an underlying disease, or for no known reason whatsoever. IIRC, William Shatner suffered from it for years before he either got some sort of relief or learned to live with it.

OTOH, many electronic devices emit a whine from their main power transistors, and sometimes that whine is audible from a few feet away, but typically not over the sound of the entertainment.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
(female)

Doe_Eyes HB User

I can hear high sounds like that- I had to have had to have Auditory integration training to fix it... if you heard it from a young age it could be a Sensory Integration Dysfunction chack w i k i p e d i a for more info.

As a a person ages they begain to hear lower sounds so most adults can not hear the TV and electides and other sounds but some kids can- i can still since I have trouble hearing low sounds (never ask me to sing solo!) as others. The training brings down how many high a sound you can hear for a few years. I had mine when I was nine so now I hear like I did before and I still cant go to concerts due my hypersensitivity to sound - when I did I ended up crieing- that was embarrassing.

Last edited by Doe_Eyes; 04-16-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: link

Closed Thread