It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Lightbulb Health Anxiety

I was just curious who else with Fibro suffers from Health Anxiety.

I am one that does, also did your Health anxiety start before your DX of Fibro or after?

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Re: Health Anxiety

I used to have a lot of health anxiety. I think with all of the wierd symptoms you get, you can't help but think you have cancer, MS, lupus, etc. Now I think that I am too complacent about symptoms. When I was pregant with my last child, I had severe gallbladder disease the entire time. I just figured all the pain I was in was just normal for me. I ended having my baby five weeks early by c-section so that they could take the gallbladder out before we both died.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Im not sure if I have this, but I must. So many things, chronic illnesses, two infectious diseases in my life, fms/cfs. Some symptoms can really scare the crap out of you. Some, mostly because they can be so different from others. And no one knows the root cause or the end outcome of what we all experience on all different levels.
I find myself having extreme tension when Im investigating some of my symptoms that I only try to do that once in a while. So I guess this would he considered Health Anxiety. I also have Panic Disorder and find myself almost reading myself into an attack. I guess my give-a-s#!t-less pills help me to control the attacks, but don't actually take away the stress/tension it unleashes to my muscles. What's strange is though, I find myself so tense that I am rolling my hands up into a fist and curling it into my body. This has been concerning me lately and I feel it is the stress/tension/anxiety.
Any insight?
Feel well, Felicia

Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

Last'sGal HB User

I don't think I have health anxiety. I grew up in foster care moving from family/town/school to family/town/school, and I think that's why. I have a very strong "Everything will turn out fine. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" mentality.

That said, I do occasionally have an "Ah, Jesus. Why me?" moment or two. Yesterday, my headache was so bad I did wonder if it might be the thing that would finally kill me.

I guess my suggestion would be to try to find the humor in all of this... the way we did in the "You might have FMS" thread... and to remember that for us, the "don't sweat the small stuff" mantra is especially important, because there is so terribly much "small stuff" that we can choose to worry about... or not. It is a choice. Control over your thoughts is very much yours to take.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

Last'sGal HB User

I don't think I have health anxiety. I grew up in foster care moving from family/town/school to family/town/school, and I think that's why. I have a very strong "Everything will turn out fine. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" mentality.

That said, I do occasionally have an "Ah, Jesus. Why me?" moment or two. Yesterday, my headache was so bad I did wonder if it might be the thing that would finally kill me.

I guess my suggestion would be to try to find the humor in all of this... the way we did in the "You might have FMS" thread... and to remember that for us, the "don't sweat the small stuff" mantra is especially important, because there is so terribly much "small stuff" that we can choose to worry about... or not. It is a choice. Control over your thoughts is very much yours to take.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

thenewfmgirl HB User

I definitely think I have health anxiety. I have a diagnosed general anxiety disorder but I think it wraps itself around health usually. It definitely started a long time ago, before the FMS diagnosis, I just didn't know what it was. But I can remember being a kid and having a weird pain and thinking I was going to die because it just HAD to be cancer or a heart attack or something. Now I'm like that all the time over the smallest thing. So I totally get ya.

Any thoughts on what to do to help?

Old 04-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just asked this question because Im on another forum and it seems that everyone that has fibro health anxiety is always in there. I know you can get fibro from a accident, family death, stress. My Doctor didn't tell me mine was years from health anxiety he did say though when your under alot of stress your muscles are almost ALWAYS tense and your unable to relax them, and once the event of the stress is over it doesn't mean your body has healed.

Sometimes your muscles stay in that permanent tensed out state and that "can" bring on Fibromyalgia. He didn't say that this was my problem he just said that it can be a reason.

But I also know that having fibro can bring on anxiety or depression, just because your in pain all the time. Anxiety and depression doesn't have to be present before the fibro.

I just found it interesting.

Hope

Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Before I was diagnosed, I was anxious all the time. After I was diagnosed, education helped to alleviate the anxiety. My FMS doctor has an e-mail that I could send to his nurse and ask questions about problems. After I had done that a few times, I began to realize I was suffering FMS symptoms and I was no longer anxious. It does become easy, however, to be complacent about problems that you think are FMS which is something that needs attention! I think a good FMS doctor and GP team are essential to weed out such issues.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know with me if I get anything "new" I do go see my regular Dr. Like in Feb I had lower right ab pain, went to the ER, couldn't find anything after blood tests they were fine.

3 days later went to my regular Dr, he sent me for a colonoscopy/sonogram and CTscan just to make sure nothing inside was going on. My liver/gallbladder/kidneys/spleen/colon and appendix were completely normal.

After all these tests he said IBS, he also said my pain since I have 24/7 pain in my right hip could be the reason that are of my stomach/pelvis hurt. He NEVER brushed it off as Fibro, he tested me with all he could before jumping to the IBS and or Fibro related problem.

So I agree NEVER just assume its the FIBRO, if it is new for you, always have it checked out. My health anxiety made me force myself to see my Dr, because the pain and nausea "could" have come from something else.

Besides seeing my Rheumy, I never go to my regular Dr....unless I have like a sinus infection. So even though I have health anxiety, I only go when something new doesn't go away.

Health anxiety affects me in the way that if I do get something like these past months I always think its something dire and never think its something little.

Hope

Old 04-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

LastG, I too believe that no matter what happens I will always manage. I am so sorry you had to have the childhood you had, I hope you had some good experiences with some of your Foster families.
I had always hoped to have the room in my heart and home to be a Foster Parent. I used to work a full time job of nearly 20 yrs. When I started having children, it sounded like a good idea.
I was sickly as a child and all through my life, but nothing that was serious enough to keep me from being Wonder Woman. After the birth of my son, I got Lymes at 26. Two yrs. after the birth of my daughter, I was infected with Fifths disease at 32, a measles virus, and my health has gotten worse and worse as each yr. has passed since these two infectious diseases. I have abandoned all intentions of becoming a foster parent.
It breaks my heart when you here so many bad stories of why some people Foster ($) and the outcome for some of these children...the abuse, the neglect... I had always just wanted to open my heart and home to a child that needed love, guidance, and appreciation, for them, that they are alive. To care for them the best I knew how, as well as my own, and hopefully ease their souls enough for them to know that no matter what happens, they will always manage. And for them to keep in touch with me always for anything.
I know there are ones who are problems, and trouble, but I was hoping to make a difference in the life of a child who may otherwise feel there is no one in their lives that truly cares what they are doing. I wanted to be that difference. I hope you had caring, loving guidance from those special parents you had, that you never will forget. My heart goes out to you with hugs.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

WOW this is an EGGcelent topic!!!
Happy Holidays to my Boarders of the Fibromite EXTREME Surf clan!!!!!

I can relate to some symptoms feeling like it may be the one that kills you. I had that one a few weeks ago. I think it was myofacial pain, but cant be sure, never had it before. I thought I had a tumor in my face! Had x-rays and finally went for blood work to make sure. No tumor and it more then less has gone???? Its like my face hurt???
I feel a lot of my Fibro has to do with tension. Lets see there is tension, stress and anxiety. My anxiety is in the form of panic attacks. Just for no reason. The first one I had was after a day at the spa???? Massage, facial, ped, yadayadayada. Went home and had an attack. My stresses, I can usually recognize them, deal with them and get over them. The tension is, I believe from the pain. I am usually wound tighter than an eight day clock. I swear my shoulders are going to touch my ears some day!
I have also been doing a whole lot of research lately about the two infectious diseases and long term sicknesses that can occur from both. One, the Lymes I had at 26, was treatable and treated...for 2 1/2 yrs. The fifths at 32, was not...you cant treat measles. I believe I had caught the Lymes early enough and treated long enough that it shouldn't be the cause of my illness today, but I was just recently informed that Lymes can cause Fibro, but am more worried about the Fifths causing Lupus. Im still waiting for blood results from the Wednesday before last. They havent called so I guess blood work is normal...as usual. AND I HAD THE BLOOD DRAWN DURING THE FACE REALLY HURTS EPISODE!!! Was hoping something would show up as SOMETHING!!!!!!
Feel Well Folks, Felicia

Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh yes I had the face hurtin thing!!! It was awful, my whole entire body hurt that day, but my face was the worst. Every muscle and bone in my face burned and ached. I found out that this is another "normal" fibro thing.

I also hate tests, Ive had so many that I'm tired of them and I'm done. I won't be seeing any Dr soon.

Hope

Closed Thread