It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

Ishla HB User
Balance problems

I took a shower this morning and it brought to mind a problem I've had for some time now. Does anyone else have problems maintaining balance? I do okay 90% of the time, but when I close my eyes to wash my hair, I have to keep one elbow against the wall of the shower or I teeter and nearly fall. I occasionally get a little off when walking as well with my eyes wide open. I catch myself "leaning" on corners. It's a bit frightening to not be able to take a simple shower in the mornings without having to brace myself. It's like closing my eyes just shuts off my center of gravity and I feel myself either tipping forward or tipping backward. I've managed not to fall yet (knock on wood) but have come very close numerous times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: Balance problems

Hi Ishla,
Oh yes this is one of those things. Over the past 4 yrs I have nearly toppled out of the shower more times then I care to count. I have walked into walls and have fallen down stairs 5x. The last three have all been within the year. 2x falling down the stairs. One time falling up the stairs with a hot pot of stuffed peppers. This fall landed me in the hospital with minor burns, but they were splotched in large areas all over my upper body. Had a little tank top on at the time and burned my face, neck, arms and chest. Always grab a rail on steps and make sure someone is in the house with you when you go to shower. Always tell them when you are going in and have them listen. I tell my kids, if they hear me fall, just call 911. I don't want them to have to deal with a wet naked Mom on the floor, unconscious cause I hit my head on the toilet. This would probably scar my children for life, especially my 15 yr. old son. LOL!!! Though, he better learn to deal with these things, he plans on doing something in the medical field. He likes surgery, but Im trying to talk him into something with Biology or genetics research. A field that maybe someday he can find causes, cures and reasons why we get FMS/CFS and other related diseases. Being a surgeon is a very stressful job. Lives are in your hands. Bio-Genetics is research, no stress of maybe killing someone. Its his choice. He's so gorgeous, Im trying to tell him to be an OB-GYN. Women NEVER miss their appointments when their gyno is a hottie!!! Your office is always packed, usually standing room only!!!!
Anyway, a hand rail in the shower is an easy security. When your having brain fog and dizziness, always brace yourself. Its something old people have to get used to...???JK. Not that your really old, we just tend to feel that way.
Feel Well, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

RAINIE73 HB User

I have always felt 'off balance' most of my life and it has gotten worse in the past few years. My mom always said she should have named me Grace!!! I was just recently diagnosed with fibro and now realize why I have felt the way I do! Actually as I got out of my car at work this morning, mind you I had just stood up and had both feet on the ground, I got dizzy and felt like I was going to fall backwards and did sway a bit! I was hoping that no one was watching me! Didn't want any one to think I was drunk!!! Lol! But, its something I have just learned to deal with! and to be more cautious! I have fallen down stairs so many times also! The last time, which was awhile back, was the worst! I fell so hard and slid down most of the stairs. About 10 minutes later after that I passed out. All I remember was waking up on the bathroom floor and my brother trying to get in the bathroom and yelling for me, cause he heard a huge thump! We went to the ER and it was a joke! They were running all sorts of tests on me to figure out why I had passed out, because I did not hit my head. I got into it with one nurse, because she kept wanting to run a pregnancy test and I knew I was not pregnant! I was too embarrassed to tell her how many years it had been since I had dated! She still ended up doing a preg test! The xray tech was arguing with her too saying she believed me. Well before it was all said and done, the doctor said I probally passed out, due to the stress of the fall and my sugar probally dropped due to me being diabetic. Its hard telling what the reasons were!
I usually just try to laugh off my dizziness and being off balance! I also, am always bumping into things like walls (when I am walking at least a foot from it!) or doors & doorways, tables....etc.... I'm glad to see I am not the only one!

Take care~ Rain

Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Oh yes, the dizziness, ESPECIALLY in the shower. That is where it's always the worst. And yeah, it is crazy hard to maintain upright when I close my eyes. I always like run in to doors and walls because it seems just as I am walking pass them I lose my balance. I also fall in to people a lot. Like if I am standing in a line or just standing or walking next to some one. And, obviously, your immediate reaction is to grab the closest thing to you to keep you from falling, you know? I have definitely grabbed random strangers on accident before. Very embarassing, but kinda funny. I actually made a friend that way one time. hehe. But, yeah, I have balance issues too.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

Fortunately i take baths, so i haven't had the problem in the shower. But my balance is horrible. If i ever got pulled over and did a sobriaty test,,,,,,,i just might go to jail SOBER. I can't walk a straight line for nothing. I can be standing still and go to walk, and get off balance. I tried the standing on the one foot at the neuro, and NOPE, couldn't do that either......good thing there was a wall there! LOL

Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
(female)

tweiler HB User

I have developed problems with balance as well. Climbing stairs is now an adventure. And when I ride an escalator, I have to close my eyes and hold the rail so I know when it is over. I have fallen several times but luckily I haven't done more than a few small bruises. I love showers but they can be difficult for me because I get light-headed. So most often I sit down on the tub floor to get clean and wash my hair and then stand up to shower off and let it beat on my back. Of course, I am usually exhausted by all this so have to sit down and rest before I can leave the bathroom.

I was in an office today and couldn't help seeing the carpet. The pattern on the carpet made me very dizzy and I had to lean on my husband to make the world stop moving around. I try to laugh about it but I know it is nothing to laugh about. I had thought about getting a scooter so I don't have to depend on the city buses but with balance problems, I have recently realized that is never gonna happen.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

h4xnoodle HB User

I have problems maintaining balance as well. But that is because I was born with one ear nearly deaf and the other about 120% of a normal ear. Even when I'm just standing, I'll fall over or lean accidentally to one side.

Closed Thread