It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

NancyJones HB User
Muscle spasms / twitching

Does anyone get these? I'm in the middle of them right now for about a week along with painful cramps and ache in my arms/hands. The twitching is all over my body though in addition to my arms. The arm pain in unbearable, nothing seems to help it. Just curious if anyone else gets these twitches and crampy type pain.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User
Re: Muscle spasms / twitching

Hi {{{{ Nancy }}}}}

I get twiches and cramps and tingles all the time also.. especially in my legs but also my arms.. sometimes my arms ( below and above my elbow) hurts so bad I can barely move.

Are you getting enough hydration? sometimes when we get dehydrated it causes cramps in the muscles.

I use my heating pad for all my aches pains and cramps it seems to really help me.. or a hot bath or shower. I used to have a hot tuband it really helped I use to sit in it from about 1AM to 4AM just to get some relief. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford another one!!!

Keep me informed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User
Lightbulb Re: Muscle spasms / twitching

I had spasms in my eyelids for almost 5 years. They would twitch and spasm nonstop for months at a time. The longest was over 8 months. Then it would stop for a month or so, then it would come back for another 6 months or more of nonstop twitching. I went to several Dr's who told me it was from stress and it would go away eventually. In 5 years it never did go away.

I finally got sick and tired of the twitching and the headaches it caused and of holding my eyelid shut while watching TV in the evening, so I searched for a Dr who would agree to give me Botox injections in my eyelid area. The injections weren't really painful at all, and the twitching was 75% better by that evening, and by the next afternoon (24 hours later) it had completely stopped! It was like a miracle!

I've read some articles that said that Botox can be used for other muscle spasms, so it's worth calling some Dr's to ask about it. And depending on the area injected, it might be covered by insurance if it's FDA approved for use in that area of the body for medical reasons (like eyelids).

My insurance covered the Botox in my eyelid area. The Dr had extra Botox in the syringe and asked me if I wanted any other areas injected, so he got rid of a few minor facial wrinkles at the same time, all covered by my insurance!

Hope this helps with your twitchies!

Last edited by EverythingHurts; 04-18-2007 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

molitor HB User

I get a small amount of muscle spasms and twitches, heat pads do help to a certain degree, but when my eyelids twitch which luckily is rare it lasts for ages!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

saphirz HB User

I do get muscle spasms in my legs and arms, in my neck alot more than any where else, I hate taking the soma it makes me so groggy.

The thing about the eye twitching,Ive had that on and off since I was a teenager, Ive had a number of doctors say it was vitamin thing, but taking a vitamins never did anything. It can last in me for afew hours or days. I put a hot compact on it when it starts, more of keeping from feeling helpless than it doing anything.

The leg cramping can be dehydration,or a lack of potassium in the diet, if I seem to be getting alot of them I eat bananas, it does help some. Some people say If you drink tonic water (has a small amount of quinine in it) that will help also. Vitamin b's can help also to a small degree.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

merphi1024 HB User

I've had muscle twitches going on in my legs for a while now - one that hangs out next to my kneecap and I vowed I would never point my toes and stretch agian when I got the worst leg cramps in the middle of the night once. I'm bad with not drinking enough water during the day. I think I'll make the effort to drink more and see it that doesn't help.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
(female)

justnotfair HB User

I have had spasms/twitching for about two years. It has ease up recently and is no longer a nightly occurrence. It was almost always in my legs and mainly during sleep. I still experience sensations in my legs and sometimes in my arms.

I have no idea what is causing them to come and go or the level of frequency from subtle to uncontrollable.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

robeano HB User

I have severe leg twitching and a spastic R leg. mine is mainly caused from Cerebral palsy, but also they found it it had gotten worse due to sciatica. Once we got the swelling down with prednisone and they put me on zanaflex for the twitching and spasticity it helped. the sciatic nerve is a mean little bugger when its irritated. hope this helps!!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
(female)

raznboersnkids HB User

I do have muscle spasms and twitching, I guess the most annoying is toes or fingers just go to sleep

Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I have muscle lurching, as i call it. instead of just one muscle twitching, a whole muscle group will lurch, like my arm or leg. It is worse when i am about to flare combined with having eaten sugar. It doesn't happen near as often as it did at onset of fms 3 years ago.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

I have the very same thing! its always when im relaxing and trying to drift into sleep, then things start "jerking" around, like one huge hickup. its not painful to me, theres no pain involved in it, but it is extremely tiring and frustrating to be so tired, trying to go off to sleep and just as you start relaxing your muscles and starti drifting, my leg will jerk. Or my arm, or neck or foot, enough to frustrate me and keep my from drifting off to sleep. Sometimes i get them in my back or tummy area, like someone just kicked me in it, but again, weird without pain, just a huge JERK! my pain management doc asked me how i was sleeping and i told him this and he said to talk to my regular doc to see if it was restless legs. But i always thought restless leg syndrome was more like creepy crawly feelings, or the need to move your leg, thats not what im feeling tho.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 AM   #12
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Hi Folks, Havent posted in a while. Have been very busy running myself into another flare...Odd for me in the middle of summer. My IBS has had me napping through the pain.
CRAMPS???!!! TWITCHES????!!!! I have had sever leg cramps since I was a kid... now I get them all over my body. My stomach, my jaw, my legs, my feet, my hips, my back. My mother has also had them all her life, just about as bad as mine. No doc can give reasons why we get them, not anything that sounds like the real culprit. Tanic acid in your muscles from drinking tea... we dont drink tea. Build up of acid due to lack of water intake... I admit, I dont drink enough water but my mom makes sure she gets her 8/8. Lack of excercize... In my case maybe I can admit in the last three yrs, I dont get enough, but I do keep active when Im able. I garden and clean and refinish furniture and remodel my house. Its not like I sit like a lump. Mom and I had come to the conclusion that maybe it was hormonal... Then I discovered my son who in 15 and hairier than most boys his age also gets them.... rules out the hormone thing.
Anyway, my rhuemy rxed me Quinine, 240mg. I was concerned about taking it, but did and could not have been happier with the results. I know there are a lot of people who frown upon the use of quinine, but it did work for me. Nastiest tasting pills I ever took and huge!!!. I wrapped them in a stretched out swedish fish to get them down without the taste. Now when the cramps come a creepin', I keep a few bottles of tonic water on hand, tonic water has quinine in it. Its bitter and nasty too. I mix it in a tall glass with sweet pink grapefruit juice to disguise the taste, my son will even drink it like that. Three 8 oz. glasses in a day seems to be enough to stop the cramps. Just be sure to check with your pharmacist for medication interactions if the tonic water sounds like something you would try.
As for the twitches, Anti-anxiety meds did it for me. My eyelids twitched for a year and drove me nuts. Adding adivan to my daily cocktail has stopped them completely. I do still get twitches in my body, but they are more like jerks. Uncontrolable movements, like a reflex. Havent figured them out yet, but they dont hurt or annoy as the other two symptoms so I just laugh at myself and use my twitches as an excuse when I want to give my kids a kick in the ***. "Sorry, I had a twitch."
Feel well folks,
Felicia

Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
(female)

Passion Flower HB User

I to get muscle spasms mostly in my feet.
I also get cramps in the calves of my legs during the night.
I've notice over the past few months when going to bed at night my body twitches, and usually my legs will jump or an arm..it's weird, and my husband has noticed it lately.
FM can sure cause alot of weird things.
One day a time...

Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey there everyone, fibro twitches and spasms they the weirdest things. The spasms though can be sooo painful, I have valium for those, the tonic water, yuk!! does help as does soaking in warm epsom salts solution when the feet start hurting. You all take care, try to keep well hugs Snoozyowl

Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
(female)

headpain05 HB User

I have had a problem with the twitches at night as well. I think people are talking about two different things here...the crampy feeling and the twitches or jumps. Tonic water and club soda are remedies for the restless leg or crampy feeling, but I have not noticed they do anything for the jumps I have at night (I call them this because my husband has witnessed the twitches so bad I "jump" off the bed). I take a muscle relaxer at night (for various reasons) and this keeps the twitches at bay. It is called Zanaflex (generic is Tizindine I believe). As your doctor about starting off with one 4mg tab at night and see how it goes. However, when you first start them, they will hit your hard and fast. Make sure you are in bed and ready for sleep within 15-20 minutes of taking them or you may find yourself asleep on the kitchen floor Hope this helps.

Closed Thread