It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

desperate1 HB User
sleep question

I recently bought a tempurpedic mattress, hoping maybe it would keep me from waking up every morning feeling like a truck rolled over me. It's being delivered soon and I am really hoping it provides some relief. Does anyone here have one of these, and if so has it helped at all? This was recommended to me by one of the millions of doctors I've seen.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: sleep question

Hi d1,

I can't afford a Tempurpedic, but I do have a memory foam topper & mem foam pillow, which have been a great help for neck & shoulders.

If I could afford a Tempupedic, I'd have to air it out for quite a while, as I am chem sensitive. The topper & pillow took a week outside before I could use them. But it's not an issue for most folks.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

It helped my mother. Not tons, but enough that she did notice.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Great, thanks for the replies! I can't afford it either, unfortunately, but I'm so desperate, I financed it the same day I went out and spent over $100 on supplements. I can't get a single doctor to diagnose me. Last week I was told that fibro and CFS are both caused by depression. This was told to me by a doctor who also teaches at an Ivy league university!!!!!!
I know what you mean about the chem sensitivity too. I got a memory foam pillow for Christmas and I'm just able to use it now! Luckily the mattress comes with a special cover that should reduce that some.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
(male)

ddgryphon HB User

I'm not shilling for them, but I found the Serta mattress to be more to my liking than the Tempurpedic--it is the same foam, same warranty and a good 15-20% cheaper.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get my wife to go along on it, so I'm spending about $200 on the mattress topper at Target and a couple of pillows. I like tha fact that they have pillows that don't have that funny shape to them. I've never found them particularly comfortable.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User
Lightbulb Re: sleep question

Lots of people think I'm crazy, and I know I am, but I swear by my waterbed. I've slept on a firm (not sloshy) heated waterbed for over 30 years. Now that I have all this pain throughout my body, I especially find the heat and the comfort of the bed to be theraputic.

I know some doctor and chiropractors will strongly disagree with sleeping on a waterbed, but it works for me. Sometimes my pain is so devastating I couldn't imagine sleeping on a typical bed mattress.

This is just my personal 2 cents worth.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
(female)

marie59 HB User

i had a water bed sooo many yrs ago it was one of the ones that didnt have compartments.wow that was the best sleep ever the heater was great. havent had a good nite since i got rid of it.why did i get rid of that wonderful bed.bad move dont think i can talk my husband into one.oh well.have a good nite.marie

Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User

Here's an idea on how to talk your husband into getting a water bed. Tell him the water bed will help your pain, and anything that helps your pain is going to make your life better, which will in turn make his life better.

If he still rejects the idea of a water bed, give him an old-fashioned ultimatum! Tell him he has 2 options. Option #1, he can sleep with you in a water bed. Option #2, he can sleep alone because you're going to sleep in a waterbed with him or without him.

It's up to you to decide if this tactic is worth trying with your husband. I assume no responsibility for a divorce! All I know is if it was me, this is how I would handle it. (But then again, I don't know your husband!)

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
(female)

wakefulbird HB User

Hi there--

I recently posted on the "origins of fibromyalgia" thread. You can read my story there but I just wanted to say don't be too afraid of prescription sleep meds even if you want a "natural" cure. I developed FM after using Unisom almost nightly to treat my severe insomnia in the wake of emotional trauma. When I switched to Ambien (and later Trazodone and later Seroquel, which I currently take) my body got SO much better.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
(female)

saphirz HB User

I could never go back to sleeping in a regular bed again, the last 5 years Ive been in a regular type water bed with waves. I dont get pressure on any parts of my body more than other places. Water bed tube matts are used in nursing homes for people that are unable to move to prevent bed sores. Also rythmatic air matts are used to. it changes the pressure of air in the tubes very like 10 min or so.

I know if I were to go back to sleeping in a normal bed I wouldnt be getting out of bed from the pain. Just useing a normal bed at Christmas for 3 night almost killed me.

I know I need help with getting to sleep and staying in a good REM sleep.
You can sleep but not get into REM sleep which is so needed to feel refreshed. I take amitriptaline to help with that and even then there are times when I dont get into a good sleep. At the start of a flare up wheather it be my arthritus or what I think for sure is FM even with the meds I cant get a good sleep, I mostly twilight the whole night. This all seemed to get alot worst when I started going into perimenopause in my late 30s, in fact when I hit 40 everything started going down hill ........
If you can get a water bed go for it you will be suprized how much it can help even with turning over during the night.

Last edited by saphirz; 04-22-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
(female)

mejane2 HB User

Love my Tempurpedic bed! It takes a little getting used to, but I will never again buy any other bed. Shoulder and hip pain (side sleeper) are extremely reduced. Neck pain has totally disappeared by using Tempurpedic pillow. I have tried at least 5 other off-brand memory foam pillows and mattress toppers, but only the Tempurpedic brand ones work for me. Gosh, I sound like a commercial! As a 20+ year Fibro sufferer, it's the best money ever spent. I sure hope it helps you as well.
p.s. - the smell was not nearly as bad as I'd expected. It only took 1 day of airing before I couldn't notice it at all, and I am extremely sensitive to smells. Best of luck.

Closed Thread