It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

rrlk HB User
Newbie needs help/info...

Hello everyone Wanted to share my info and then at the end I do have ?'s.
I thoguht I was going crazy---it feels like my life is being taken from me....as so much has changed in what seems like such a short time. I recently found out I may have FM.
For the past 6-8 mo.'s I have struggled with on and off pain (although it seemed never to be GONE totally), major prob's sleeping, fatigue, headaches, chest pain, etc etc. For a long time I was embarrassed because also during that time I have gained a fair amt of weight--so I thought it was related to that or that I was getting the flu, etc.
This last week has been awful--I have been getting about 2 hrs sleep a night and then cannot function--I am in a fog all day...on top of that the pain is debilitating. Missed most of the week at work. The nurse at work brought up FM. Researched it and was AMAZED (and relieved I wasn't 'crazy'). Went to my Dr. (I am a new patient of his and it was only my 2nd visit in a year because I have only lived here a year). He seemed to know about FM..did the touch-test and questioned me. Ordered blood work because he wanted to make sure it wasn;t something else.
Prescribed Ultram (pain) and Cyclobezaprine (muscle)---they do not seem to be doing too much for me, I guess they help a little.
On Monday I am applying for Short-Term Disability with my company, as I will have been off for 4 days (in a row) at that time. I can only get 6 weeks total. The Dr. hasn't "officially" diagnosed me--so now I am afraid I will be denied. Can the pain go away totally for an extended period of time? Or is it always there, if even just a little? It seems like mine has gotten worse over the last 6 mo's. Any advice, info, would be great thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: Newbie needs help/info...

Well, It sucks, it really does. I'm 19 and don't remember what life is like without pain. My knees all of a sudden started hurting real bad in 7th grade, then, between that time and now, sometimes I can barely function.

And, to give you a bit of, what could be considered "good news" -- most of us have what we call flares. THese flares can last any amount of time really. For some, they never seem to go away, but for others, the flares only come part of the time, and that is when the worst of the pain takes hold. However, we do all hurt every day.

One thing I can tell you to do, is to educate yourself and your family and friends on Fibromyalgia. Know yourself and what plagues you inside and out. Then apply the concept of ergonomics. This is where you figure out what your body can and can't handle on any given day. Then, you won't push your limits further than you should and make yourself hurt even more.

Also, try visiting a rheumatologist who specializes in FMS. And, a psychologist can sometimes be a good person to visit too. I do!

And, keep us updated when you get your bloodwork back. Hopefully something will show up and not be a big deal and you can take some medicine and make it all better (see this optimism? I'm getting better at it! Well, sometimes . . .)

I have more to say but my arms are killing me.

God Bless!

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Last edited by moderator2; 04-23-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Closed Thread