It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

saphirz HB User
Im new to here......

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum but not new to pain . I have not been offically told by a doctor that I do have FM but I have all the clinical signs of it. I do have IBS and have been living with it for almost half my life now. Ive been threw the not going out to public places unless I knew they had bathrooms and not eating the food I would know would be offensive to me right off.
I am a pharm tech and have been for 21 years, I just quit working becasue I was having a much harder time keeping up with the stress and everyday grind of working. I also had to quite becasue my consintration was getting worst and I didnt want to hurt some one with the wrong drug.

I thought is was a common thing to hurt, I thought everyone did like I did, I didnt relize till talking with a patient that has had FM for 30 years that what I was experancing was not the norm and I should not hurt all the time.

So I went into intensive reading of all the information in the pharmacy having to do with FM and other things that mimic or have the same symtoms. I also talked with many FM patients including my step mom that also had MS. They would tell me what they had experanced and it sounded like they were talking about what I had going on.

I can remember as a young adult that when Id get massaged it would hurt not feel good in some areas, I would get hot spots where the skin would hurt to the touch. These hot spots would not ever be in the same place but different places or they would move over night. People would try to tickle me and it would hurt instead. I would have this unexplanied pain come and go or the burning of the skin which Id ask dr.s about and they would say its nothing or a vitamin problem. They would put me on vitamins and Id still get them.
Now that im 49 and having gone threw quite abit of stress over the years and car accidents(first bad car accident at 17 and the next at 22) when I get a flair it seems to be stronger ever time. And also my IBS is very bad at times with the spasms and pain. Ive had times where morphine didnt help and I was doubled over in pain. But that was when I was in an emmense amount of stress. I also have TMJ from braking my jaw when I was 19.
I do have the lack of consintration and foggy head and forget fullness that drives me crazy. It seems Im able to do less and less physical activity every year, even putting in a garden will make me hurt for days after like ive worked out in a gym for 12 hours.
I hurt in the morning when I get up I can hardly walk for the first hour and it gets better over that hour.
2 years ago I found out I have arthritus in the spine, and its moderate right now but It seems to hurt all the time now to. I know Im going thru Menopause which im sure doesnt help all this eather.
What gets me the pain that I have moves my arm and hand maybe one day or both hands or both arms and one leg. or all the above. My neck always burns and hurts with a dull pain and I get numbness in me fingers from the arthitus in spine and also muscle spasms. I have fallen afew times now that scares me do death, its like my brain for gets to tell my legs to hold me up.
What im not sure of at this point what pain is coming from what anymore.
I get sharp pain going threw different parts of my body that seem to just be random, and the constant burn, when im in a flareup its so much more intense. When we get a change of weather it seems to be worst. I cant stand the cold ( Its hard to explain but the cold seems to go right threw me and makes me ache) The heat of the hot shower seems to releave pain while im in it and I can stand a hotter shower than most anyone I know.
Right now im in a flair ( have been for about a week) I have pain in most of all the places at one time which is a first and wrist are very painful right now.
I take an anti inflamitory for the arthirtus but seems it doesnt touch the other pain at all. I have problems sleeping more so right now than most times. I take amitriptaline everynight for sleep and I find it helps with the IBS I havent had the gut pain since starting to take it, which has been 4 years now. I think the worst thing is I feel worn out all the time,my muscles feel tired and my brain feels tired.
I know I need to go have a dr say it FM but I live in a very small farm community and there arent any real great doctors near by. Plus just having a dr tell me what I already know doesnt seem to help with the thougth of having pain for the rest of my life.
Its nice to have a place to come that other people can understand and know maybe what im talking to, Most people just give me that blank stare cause I look like the picture of health.
I dont want to have to do drugs all the time, they gave me, Soma, Vicodin and naprosin and I couldnt do normal every day things like driving a car or other things I need to do when I had the soma and Vicodin in me, I pretty much was a couch potato.
With all this Im in a new relationship ( engaged) and hes very good about my bad days but my bad days seem to be getting longer and more intense. Im worried about what this will do to the relationship in the long run.

Well im starting to ramble thanks for listening to me and my cry on your shoulder rant. It does make me feel a bit better.

Saphirz

Ps After working in the health care system Dr.s as a whole scare the crap out of me in the additudes about pain managements and how they treat people with FM.

Last edited by saphirz; 04-20-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add about drs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User
Re: Im new to here......

Saphirz, when I read your posting I thought I was reading something I had posted and forgotten I'd written. (Until I came to the menopause part; I'm male.)

Your story sounds truly and completely like my own. It's unbelievable how much in common our stories are. I am totally amazed. I'm going to print your story out and show it to my partner because although I know he believes me about all my pain and symptoms, he will be as amazed as I was to read my own story coming from someone else. I still can't believe it.

You are very lucky that you have someone in your life who understands about your health issues and is sympathetic about your illness. You're lucky you have someone who knows from the beginning that you're ill and yet wants to be with you anyway. You're lucky to have that kind of love, and hopefully that's a good sign that he will stick by you during illness and health, which is something that a lot of people never find in their life. You are very lucky to have someone who seems to understand and love you.
I know it's tough for anyone to be in a relationship when they feel as bad as we do, but it's very difficult for our partners too. I think it's important to always keep that in mind.

I also haven't been "officially" diagnosed with FM yet, but the last Dr I saw (last week) said he believes this is what's wrong with me. I'm seeing a rheumatologist next week hopefully for a diagnosis (or not), and I also have some other appts lined up with other Dr's and facilities in the near future. Hopefully I'll have a diagnosis soon, either FM or WHATEVER is wrong with me; hopefully I'll finally at least have a name for whatever this illness is that's destroying my life.

It's difficult to find a good Dr who can help. I've been to many, MANY Dr's, and most are unsympathetic and uneducated, and they just don't care. I've had 2 that have actually told me they don't want me for a patient because I have too many medical problems. That was a new one on me! What the #*&@ is that supposed to mean? Don't Dr's like a challenge anymore?

I wish you luck in everything. Get started on finding a Dr to diagnose you so you can get the best treatment possible. From my own experience and what I've read on this site, it's very difficult to find a good Dr. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you'll get help. Make it a priority. If your symptoms get worse before you get treatment, you may end up like I did and barely be able to leave the house to even go to a Dr appt for help.

And always let your guy know how much you love him and appreciate him, especially on your bad days.

Good luck.

Last edited by EverythingHurts; 04-22-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Closed Thread