It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Exclamation Fibromyalgia and Surgery Recovery, need advice PLEASE

Hi Everyone,

I had had severe chronic pain for almost two years due to a hernia surgery gone wrong. The trauma of this is what my doctors think triggered my fibromyalgia. Sadly, a new CAT scan revealed that the problems are so severe, that I need another serious abdominal surgery to help fix the problems. I am terrified. Not only have I suffered unrelenting pain since I woke up from this surgery, I suffered needlessly for a long time, (even in the hospital) because I was labeled a drug seeker. The trauma I endured was like nothing else I have ever experienced. Then to top it all off, it caused me to develop fibro.

I have read that doctors need to treat a fibro patient differently than others when they are facing surgery, not only to deminish a flare, but to also combat slow healing and excessive pain responses. Does anyone know what I can speak to my surgeon about? As many of you know, most docs don't know or understand fibro very well. Any suggestions? I am already so scared, and the thought of fibro complicating it all just makes it worse.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

EverythingHurts HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Surgery Recovery, need advice PLEASE

I would recommend that you speak to your surgeon about your concerns and make sure he understands that you are NOT a drug addict. I recently posted on this forum about a similar experience I had with a surgeon, so I'm speaking form personal experience. You need to speak with your surgeon prior to your surgery and make sure he understands your concerns regarding pain management. If he doesn't agree to manage your pain effectively, then you should seek another surgeon. If he doesn't address your Fm concerns, again, you need to seek another surgeon.

VERY IMPORTANT: interview the anesthesiologist prior to going into the hospital for the surgery. You can do this either via telephone or schedule an in-person appointment. Anesthesiologists are responsible for your pain management and medication during and after surgery. It is very important that you discuss pain management with the anesthesiologist. You can ask your surgeon who the anesthesiologist will be, then contact him.

If any of your Dr's give you any indication that they think you have a drug addiction problem, then I would STRONGLY advise you to walk away from that Dr and find another one.

The single most important thing is to discuss all of your concerns with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist and your primary care Dr in advance, BEFORE you go in for surgery. Don't wait until you're already in the O.R. and the surgeon already has the scalpel in his hand.

Make sure the Dr's all understand about your FM. If they won't take the time to listen to you and address your concerns, then you need to find another Dr.

Never, EVER continue treatment with a Dr that you don't trust and feel comfortable with. Remember, you are HIRING the Dr, that means he works for YOU. He should agree to treat your pain and address your concerns and answer your questions. Never hesitate to "fire" a Dr.

If you discuss these matters prior to surgery and you feel confident that your Dr will manage your pain before, during and after surgery, you will feel much less stressed during the process of surgery and post-op care. Never go into a surgical situation filled with fear and anxiety. To go through surgery in an anxious state will cause your pain to be worse and will affect the healing process. Ask questions, tel the Dr your fears and concerns, and give yourself some time to mentally prepare for surgery.

Hope this helps. If I sound like I'm babbling, it's because my meds just kicked in and my miind is getting foggy again. I'm trying to pass on information to help you. Sorry if I sould like I'm on a soapbox or something. It's just a bad day for me; lots of pain.

Last edited by EverythingHurts; 04-22-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Surgery Recovery, need advice PLEASE

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I plan to follow them all. I didn't even know I could meet with the anesthesiologist BEFOREHAND! Heck, you never meet them until minutes before the operation! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. My family and fiance say that what happened to me will never happen again. But when you have experienced that pain and hopelessness, it stays with you. Thanks again.

Closed Thread