It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

windymoon HB User
With My Limitations I'm so Bored!

Life is passing me by and all I can do is set and watch it go by. I can't walk very far, stand for very long. I feel so tired and ache all the time.
I have exhausted my options, been poke-scan and medicated to death>I have even tried acupuncture. But I feel no better!

I am isolated from the world. I feel so down! I seeing a therapist to help me cope!

My husband works extra hours so we can survive but that sure doesn't help, just more alone...

My family and friends has pretty much given up on me, and why not I can't do anything with them. I even miss my nephew wedding last week.

Just SO bored, had a friend tell me I was so lucky since I didn't have to work. HUH? Oh if she only knew! It isn't like I'm having fun!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

Ishla HB User
Re: With My Limitations I'm so Bored!

You sound like me. This may not help, but you might consider it. Take up a hobby that will let you stay seated. Painting, weaving, needlecraft, beadwork. This stuff helps me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

saphirz HB User

I quilt,work on my web page, play around with making web graphics, I used to bead but I have a hard time with seeing the small holes in the tiny beads that I so enjoy working with. So yea quilting is my main thing and that is quite a bit of sitting involved.

I try to get walks in so I dont get so stiff just sitting all the time, but Ive found to do it in moderation and slowly, I still clean my house, It may take all week to get it done but it sooner or later gets done, then I start all over again. I find that having animals is a good modeivator to get me up and take care of them, I know Ive gotten so depressed that I didnt want to do anything but sleep. but my daughter,my partner( were engaged) and the animals keep me going. We are also remodeling the house right now do that is keeping me active in mind and sometimes in body.
Im just not ready to let the pain and all this kick my butt. But I have to admit its very hard sometimes to keep moving.

Good luck to you, keep your mind active even if you cant your body.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
(female)

courtneyrae HB User

Iím sorry to hear that you are struggling. I understand boredom. Since I am somewhat limited, college has been passing me by and I get left behind a lot because I canít go to the clubs and dance or prance around the mall. I sank into a similar lull not to long ago but since have found ways to cope. I made rules for myself.
The first and most important rule that I follow is to go outside everyday if possible. Sit on the porch and just hang out and watch what is going on. Nothing beats fresh air. If you can't go outside or get out of bed at least have your husband open the blinds before he leaves. Natural light does wonders.
Something else that I do is limit the time I spend in front of the TV and computer. All it does is contribute to my already lethargic feeling. Itís okay to watch TV, just not for hours at a time.
If Iím too fogged to read and lying in bed instead of turning on the TV I listen to books on tape (with the blinds open) and relax to a good book.
If you feel like youíre not productive learn a new language. The Rosetta stone software is phenomenal. I am learning to speak Italian!
If you do feel well enough to go out, find a local comedy club. There great! You meet some really cool people, and the best thing youíre out being social and laughing while youíre sitting! (But call ahead and make sure they have comfortable seating and if you need to, let them know your coming) Itís also a great way to get some of the friends back that have lost hope. They get to see you smile and it makes them feel better.
I make myself laugh everyday. If I havenít laughed before Iím ready for bed I turn on the comedy channel.
This is my favorite trick, one night me and my girlfriends were going to go to a movie and dinner but I was hurting a lot so they brought dinner and a movie to me. Pajama party!!! If you canít go to them have them come to you.
If you donít have a pet get one if you can. It is something to be responsible for and its company.
I also bake. Itís comforting and itís productive. How I do this is I leave everything that I need where I can easily access it. I invested in a very comfy rolly chair and I roll around the kitchen. I bake, and I have a lot of fun doing it!
Donít be afraid to laugh at yourself. I donít know about you but my FMS makes me do some pretty silly things sometimes. I always forget where I am. Only for a minute but itís enough to worry me. It used to frustrate me beyond belief until my friend laughed at me. Itís kind of funny, and now I can laugh about it.
Also every time you talk to someone, make sure you say at least one thing thatís positive. It really hard to find a positive when youíre an eight on the pain scale but there is usually something. I was having a terrible day and all I wanted to do was scream when my mom called, I told her I was feeling bad but that made her feel bad so I followed it that with, but itís a beautiful day outside and that changed the entire conversation for the better. We both enjoyed it and when I got off the phone I felt a little better.
Something else I do is leave surprise notes for my boyfriend around during the day. First you can spend like thirty minutes writing these notes itís a great way to occupy yourself. Also you said you donít see him as much, so maybe it can help you both to connect. I just keep a pad of paper by the bed and write him a note. When I get up to go to the bathroom or anything I put it somewhere he can find it. It lets him know that I think about him and more importantly appreciate all that he does for me. It helps me a lot too. It gives me something to do and it makes us both smile on days that I didnít think I could.

I know youíre frustrated. I hate not being able to work! But you have to make the best of a situation. It took me a while to figure out that the best way for me to combat my pain is to fight off boredom and depression. I donít have much energy, but having fun and laughing definitely make it easier.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

coutrneyrae!
That was a great reply!!!!! My family says to me alot, "I dont know how you do it" (deal with the pain) All I can say back is if I let it , it will win.............thats NOT AN OPTION!

Closed Thread