It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Question About Meds And Doctors

Hi all, I have had fibro for years and take prescription pain meds prescribed by my internist. Lately my symptoms have gotten progressivley worse and I have developed neurological symptoms that are quite scary and involve losing vision and numbness and muscle weakness that come on suddenly. Anyway My doc is sending me to a neuro and rheumy ( he has been suggesting this for a while now) I have been hesitant to go because in the past I have had very negative experiences when I tell them about the fibro and the pain meds that I have to take to function so I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else does in these situations, Do you ever just not tell them? I really can't put this off any longer. Also, does anyone know why a doctor would suddenly ask for your maiden name? This happened yesterday and when I asked him he changed the subject. Thanks all!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Question About Meds And Doctors

Hi Kedel....

That is odd your doctor asked for your maiden name? hmmmm...and he gave you no reason why he asked? Interesting....

I am wondering...have you been tested for Lyme disease?? Fibro and Lyme have ALOT of the same symptoms...if you haven't you might check out the Lyme board....even IF you have been tested and it came out negative that DOES NOT mean you don't have Lyme...

Where you live there seems to be many that have contracted Lyme....

Hope you find some answers soon!

Good Luck to you....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I have been tested for lyme and it's been neg. more than once. Does anyone else have any advice on how to deal with the other doctors? I really don't want to waste my time again just to be blown off because of the Fibro. Also the maiden name thing? I don't know why this is bugging me so much. He's been my doctor for almost 5 years and I don't think he ever asked before. What could be the reason? One of the doctors he is suggesting is actually the doc that diagnosed me years ago, maybe he's going to contact him?

Last edited by kdel; 04-25-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Mne never were positive either..testing for lyme isn't good. A Lyme speaclist goes on symptoms mainly...I knew when I had gotten bit..and when I got sick..

anyway wish you well...

Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

That is so weird that he asked for your maiden name. I would assume he is checking up on you and wants to go way back.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Checking up on what? and with who? I just don't understand why all of a sudden.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I am probably just too cynical. I took it very negative. I assumed he wanted to locate all of your health records. He may be looking for psychological problems, prescription drug abuse, hypochondria etc. to explain what is going on now.

It is also possible that he just wants to be very thorough.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 04-25-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

So you think that the doctor that has been treating me for over 4 years for Fibro suddenly thinks I don't have it? I can't imagine he would take all that time to check into my past now. I have been nothing but honest with him about everything. It's just that the past 6 months or so things have gotten much worse for me and he can't possibly think it's in my head since I have bloodwork to confirm that there is most likely something else going on now and I have been a wreck trying to figure out what. I don't want to call and ask now because I'm sure that would really make me look nuts! I really like this doctor so I hope he's not turning on me now!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I probably am just too cynical about doctors in general. There are so many of them that dismiss fibro. I just read my post and I have to admit that I sound a little paranoid. I would say if you like this doctor, you trust him, and he is helping you get well then definitely stick with him. Trust your instincts. Getting your symptoms under control and getting well are what are important.

Maybe you remind him of someone and he wanted your maiden name to see if he could connect you to them.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 04-25-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
(female)

natesmommie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdel View Post
Hi all, I have had fibro for years and take prescription pain meds prescribed by my internist. Lately my symptoms have gotten progressivley worse and I have developed neurological symptoms that are quite scary and involve losing vision and numbness and muscle weakness that come on suddenly. Anyway My doc is sending me to a neuro and rheumy ( he has been suggesting this for a while now) I have been hesitant to go because in the past I have had very negative experiences when I tell them about the fibro and the pain meds that I have to take to function so I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else does in these situations, Do you ever just not tell them? I really can't put this off any longer. Also, does anyone know why a doctor would suddenly ask for your maiden name? This happened yesterday and when I asked him he changed the subject. Thanks all!
I went to a rhemy who diagnoised me with fibro 2006,and my pcp and pain dr
helps me with what ineed as far as meds go.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
(female)

sunny47 HB User

Same with me. My PCP thought I had fibro and sent me to the rheumie who agreed. Now just deal with the PCP and he writes scripts for meds as needed.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
(male)

whyus2 HB User
Cool Re: Question About Meds And Doctors

Quote:
what kind of meds are u taking??, and maybe the doc wants to check your past medical records.. I'm a husband with a wife that still has to take about 20 pill a day

Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
(female)

Sgmar10 HB User

Quote:

Closed Thread