It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

courtneyrae HB User
New to the board...

Hi everyone! My name is Courtney. I am 18 and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia recently (kind of bites my freshman year). Anyways it really hit me hard about a year ago. At this point I am relieved to have a diagnosis, but I am definitely struggling with it. I am in the midst of what I am assuming is a flare and have been unable to walk without help for the past week. I finally broke today and bought a cane (at the ripe old age of 18). Iím totally bitter about that but I kept falling so... Anyways, I hate pain killers. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for pain management. I really donít like medicine. I take warm showers, I don't have a tub in my apartment, and I always meditate and do my best to manage stress efficiently. I also walk for about 20 minutes a day although not lately (the flare). Is there something else that you have found to help? Its finals week and Iím in the worst shape I have ever been in so I am DESPERATE for relief. I look forward to getting to know yíall. I really appreciate your time and input. Everyone have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Courtney

Old 04-26-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: New to the board...

Hi Courtney, welcome to the board, sorry you are here, but you will find much info in these theads.
I myself have found that the only pain meds that help me are a weighty narcotic. I only ask for them, when I cant take it anymore. I also uped my Lexapro from 10-20 mg. Its supposed to help the pain. I also started taking soma, a muscle relaxer at bed and it did help relieve a good deal of the pain and stiffness for me. I have been out for the past few days and the pain and stiffness are back in swing. I hate having to take this crap, but if its all I can do, I need to get relief somehow. I have heard that accupuncture is worth while for people with head aches and pain from Fibro. I am looking to treat with this as well.
Good Luck and Feel Well, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

Hi Courtney and Welcome!
As Frann said there r so many nice people here with alot of information, and will make u feel right at home. I too have to take a weighty narcotic and muscle relaxer and its the only way i have any quality of life. I still have lots of pain but without it the pain would b intolerable. I wish u luck in college and just reach out if u ever need too!

Nu2patch

Old 04-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Courtney,

Sorry to hear you're in a flare. Stress is a real flare - er - upper, and I'd guess that finals are part of your pain.

There are many different treatment modalities for fibro, and each one them has their success stories. However, for most of us it's a matter of trial & error to find what works.

Once you're done your exams, I highly recommend that you learn all you can about fibro & the treatment options that are open to you, in terms of traditional meds, alternative treatments, and self-help. Check your local public library for some books on the topic. I've been helped a great deal by some of the suggestions made by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, in his books, From Fatigued to Fantastic and Pain-Free 1 - 2 - 3.

There are many of us who have found factors that contribute to our fibro. When those things are dealt with, the level of day to day pain , as well as the level of flare pain, becomes more manageable. I do not use RX pain meds myself, though I do use RX meds for the contributing factors, which in my case are hormonal. In the past yr., I have put away my walker, and use my cane only rarely. I am not cured of fibro, but it is under much better control.

In young people, common contributors to fibro pain are musculoskeletal abnormalities, injury/trauma, and viral infection. Along with that ubiquitous stress. There are many other factors. Read up, and find yourself a doc who has a stable of satisfied fibro patients (or better yet, ex-fibro patients).

Best wishes.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

18 huh? Welcome to the club. I'm 19 and am just a few days away from finishing my freshman year of college. I was diagnosed (officially) at the end of my tenth grade year but have had symptoms since the 7th grade.

First of all, like elmhar said, get through your finals. Just try your best.

Then, after finals, take a break and relax awhile and hopefully you can get over this horrible flare. Also, do learn more and more about fibromyalgia. There are great websites and books where you can get information. You can also find a good rheumatologist that specializes in FMS and hopefully get some great information and treatments/meds from him/her. I feel like the more I know, the better prepared I am. Take the time to educate your family and friends thoroughly on what's wrong with you if you haven't already. They aren't going to completely understand, but hopefully they will be understanding.

I personally don't take medicines specifically for the pain but that's not because I don't want to. That's just how it is for now. I do take medicines for esophogitis caused by reflux, IBS, hives, high blood pressure, tachycardia, and headaches. I have a wide array of medications that help with those individual problems, which has been wonderful. I didn't like taking medicine either, but, to tell you the truth, it has been my saving grace. I don't think I could function without it. So, find a good rheumy and see what meds or exercises or whatever would be best for you.

In the meantime, do some deep breathing (in through your nose, and out loudly through your mouth) several times. Tense your muscles as you breath in and relax them as you breath out. In a way, this shows you that you have control over your body as well as over any stress that comes with the pain and the busyness of school, etc. Also, you might want to keep a journal of your pain and/or of your feelings towards all this. It is a great way to let some of it out. I've been working with one of our school's free psychologists-in-training (because we are a huge psych school) and she has taught me all this and more. And, to be honest, when I am CONSISTENT with it, it does help. It's the consistency that gets me though . . .

So, that's it for now because I am so tired and need to lie down. But, please know that you are not alone. It's hard being so young and going through this, especially when most support is not from people your own age (no offense everybody else =). It's also hard feeling like your losing your youth in a very unfair way. So, I am here if/when you want to talk or vent. We all are. And we will always try to answer your questions and give you help to the best of our abilities.

Welcome to the boards!

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

Oh yeah, one more thing before I hit the sack:

If you haven't already, look into your school's policies on disability. My school is great with it. I can miss class whenever I need to without penalties, I have double the time to take tests, I can turn homework in late, I can have someone else take notes for me, and I am taking the special fitness class (b/c we HAVE to have fitness) in which I do only what I can do at whatever pace I need to--I just have to keep track of it. Granted, I NEVER skip class or turn homework in late unless it's absolutely necessary, but it's nice knowing that that option is open. So, like I said, check in to that at your school if you haven't already--it lessens stress.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
(female)

courtneyrae HB User

Thank you so much for all of your input. It was all very helpful. I will definitely make the effort to learn more after finals. Also thank you so much Gods Girl it is so comforting knowing that there is someone else out there my age. I think its a little different when you are diagnosed so young. Good luck with your finals as well. Thanks again everybody.

Closed Thread