It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

TeacherLynn HB User
Question Fibro - can't sit for long periods of time

Hi. I'm new to this message board. Symptoms started about a year ago. I was diagnosed with Fibro about 6 months ago. I've had every test done and everything comes out negative. Major symptoms are abdominal pain on right side, chest pain, and difficulty sitting for more than 10 -15 minutes at a time. Heat helps somewhat. Does anyone else have these same symptoms?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

saphirz HB User
Re: Fibro - can't sit for long periods of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherLynn View Post
Hi. I'm new to this message board. Symptoms started about a year ago. I was diagnosed with Fibro about 6 months ago. I've had every test done and everything comes out negative. Major symptoms are abdominal pain on right side, chest pain, and difficulty sitting for more than 10 -15 minutes at a time. Heat helps somewhat. Does anyone else have these same symptoms?

have you been tested for any colon problems? like IBS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

TeacherLynn HB User

Hi Saphirz. I've had IBS for about 10 years. I was always able to control it with over-the-counter fiber tablets. I've heard and read that IBS is a major symptom of Fibro. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy a year ago. Both came out negative. My last GI doctor (I've been to 3 in the past year) put me on Zelnorm in November but recently took me off of it because it was pulled from the shelves. I'm taking Amitiza now but it's not working quite as well as the Zelnorm did. My Rhuemy has me on Cymbalta for the Fibro. This has been a bad week. I wish something would work for me.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

dhsaber HB User
Unhappy Re: Fibro - can't sit for long periods of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherLynn View Post
A little over ten years ago they said I herniated the disc in back & neck. it was about 5 years before they bothered to do mri. At that time they said
small degenerative changes. Not enough to account for my pain. I do have Hep c. 2 years ago after getting MRSA, the antibiotics they put me on gave me c-difficle, and put me in the hospital. My intestines have never been right again. Can't take antibiotics. My poop looks like stir fry, my gut hurts, i'm so tired just personal hygience is becoming a chore, Now they said I have high cholesteral ( surprise ) and my rhumatory test are always very high, but sed rate low so they think it's a false positive ( I don't) I also can't sit for more than 10- 15 min, and get right lower pain sometimes upper too. And heat packs therma care do help temporarily. other than that they just keep me on pain pills for over 10 years now. I no longer can work, oh they are getting ready to do colonoscopy, & endoscopy. But IBS WONT SHOW ON THOSe just like fibro. I'm trying to do a dissability claim but know with things like fibro, ibs
chronic pain, chonic fatigue, I can't prove it

Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
(female)

TeacherLynn HB User

I am so sorry for all you are going through. I would be interested in knowing if they find out anything from your colonoscopy. Please let me know if you could.
Mine came out negative. Thanks

Old 05-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
(female)

karend45 HB User

My first indicator that something was wrong was when I was working a front desk job at the local hospital. It was a 5-hour shift w/ no breaks. I would sit at the desk for more than 3 hours before ever getting up to go to the bathroom. I found that I was pretty locked up, but the weird thing was the pain was in a different place each night. It would be one night knees, next night back of knees, and every night working down to my ankles & then feet. Then it would be the shoulders & forearms. Now, w/ the diagnosis, I know that I have to move around as often as possible to keep from stiffening up. In the mornings, I either do stretches or walk the length of my home for 15-20 minutes to get stretched out because I'm in a knot. kd

Old 05-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi teacher,
welcome. doing anything for a long period of time is not advisable. adapt your life around this by doing stretches. taking short walks around your home or office. keeping in motion is the best medicine for fibro. one we can administer ourselves as needed.
may i also recommend a nice hot shower in the morning to loosen up all those stiff sleepy muscles. i have a hot tub. i am in it every day. i had surgery a week ago and cannot get in my tub for another week, boo hoo. i really notice the difference. i am on bedrest, only i know better than to really do that, so i take small walks, do tiny stretches and live in my shower.
you will get the hang of it. we all do. in time it will become your way and you will be as at ease with your new you as you were with your old you. i like my new me better. being ill brings out the best in most of us. it is the gift of being unwell. we learn the deepest level of compassion, understanding and love. we learn to love our bodies.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
(female)

Hobbley HB User

Hi Lynn. I only visit this Board once in a blue moon so I hope you're still monitoring your post. I too suffer from intense right-sided pain (in the area you'd expect your ovary to be). I've been assured time and again by the several gastroenterologists I've seen over the years that the searing, burning, deep ache on my lower right side is a spasming colon. Apparently people with IBS have sections of their colon that contract out of concert with the rest of your intestines. It's painful. I also had chest pains which turned out to be gallstones. Had my gallbladder removed in January and feel much better. Needless to say the diagnosis of my symptoms may not be yours. Has your doctor explored the possibility of gallstones? I suffered with chest pain (and back pain) for a couple of years before I was forced to have surgery. Got to the point that I couldn't digest my food any longer - just bloated horrendously for hours. I wish you all the best in your search for answers.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
(female)

were2alike HB User

Hi Im new to this site an experience cant sit ,stand or lye down for long periods of time and I had fibroids and a cyst on my left ovary and had to get them removed . I still can't sit long or stand but I can go to work . despite my pain I have every where else.I hope you get a full check up so you can find out whats wrong.and keep intouch

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
(female)

TeacherLynn HB User

Hi everyone. Thanks for responding. I haven't monitored this site for awhile so thought I would check in today. Every test I have comes back normal. I've had the colonoscopy, endoscopy, numerous ultrasounds and CT scans. I even had an MRI. Nothing shows up. I'm seeing an Internal Medicine doctor in June. No gallstones Hobbley. Sometimes I wonder if it's really FM. Anyway, I wish you all well. Hang in there!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi teacher,
when you have ruled out everything else, fibro is what is left. i am happy to hear your tests came back fine. peace of mind. no quick fix tho.
when you know it is fibro the fear eases and the knowing the cycle will end is remembered.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. in response to one of our newbies, ibs is hell. you get used to it tho. sorta come to know what to expect and how it manifests in our bodies. keep your fluid intake up. i am a water advocate for ibs. it helps me not go thru the constipated aspect of ibs. the pain is enough. had bleeding befor i figured out what works for me. pain i can do. fiber and a healthy diet without meats helps too.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Oh blue don't say without meat....I love meat....it is my favorite part of the meal. I do a lot of water too and I know the vegies are the best for you and I do get in a real vegie mood, but since braveman is eating normal now we bought the replacement parts for the outdoor grill and I am going crazy over all the meat goodies on the grill. Haven't had that opportunity in two years. You are right though I have been having more IBS trouble lately and although I blamed it on the sweets I have consumed (too many B'days in May and more in June) I didn't really think about the effects of all that meat. So now I will need to watch not only the sweets ( I have been doing that for a long time anyway) I will need to keep a close eye on the meats. I will just have to start monitoring my portion size and hope that works cause I love the flavor. I really do mean thanks, cause I didn't think about that and I couldn't figure out why my symptoms flared up so much lately.

Glojer

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Butt (glutes) pain, you are singing my song. My condition is chronic myofascial pain. I have physical therapy, do home exercises, and have trigger point (not tender point) injections. I cannot tolerate a task chair at all and only sit for short periods on my sofa. Pain is worse when the fibro flares. I see a pain mgmt doc.

Closed Thread