It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
The Sun is Evil

Okay, so I went to a city wide garage saleing event this morning and walked a bit. It was very sunny. I tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible but it was no use. The sun makes me sick, literally. I feel so crummy from the sun. Which is why I never spend long periods of time in the sun. Does anyone else have this problem from the FMS? Because, I know it is something related to lupus, but what about FMS?

I also know that low grade fevers are related to lupus, just like the sun thing. I have both of those symptoms. I've been tested for lupus 3 times. I am present for the antibodies, but my titer was 1:32 the first time, which is too low to be dx'ed to some doctors and then I had the antibodies the next two times, but the titer was as low as it gets and practically nonexistant.

So, I know low grade fevers can be a symptoms of the FMS, but can the sun thing be too? Or would it be just way more equated to lupus? I just need some feedback here, see how others of you react to the sun.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 04-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: The Sun is Evil

Sounds like lupus to me. I was just diagnosed with it. My tests came back normal for the longest time (2yrs I think), but recently came back with an ANA titer of 1:40 speckled. Still on the low side but my rheumatologist put all my symtoms and tests together ( icluding the prednisone challenge, have you done that yet? If you feel better on the prednisone it's most likely an autoimmune disease),.and she DX'd me with lupus. All my muscle/joint pain went away on the prednisone. But I swear everything you are describing points to lupus.You should ask your Dr. to put you on prednisone to see if it helps. It took about 3 days to really kick in ,and then I gradually weaned off. I was actually relieved when I was finally diagnosed. I am now on a drug called placquenil that is supposed to do wonders for your joint pain and fatigue. The bad news is is that it can take up to 4 mos. to really feel a difference. Are you seeing a rheumatologist or a family Dr. right now?
good luck...Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Godsgirl and Kathryn,

I have had an ANA count of 1:320 speckled pattern and lots of joint pain and I take prednisone now and it helps my joint pain or at least did for a year or more. I was also on plaquinel at first but had an eye problem and had to stop taking it. It was discovered the problem was not from plaquinel though. I also have that getting sick in the sun thing but I don't have low grade fevers. I get mouth sores and other lupus symptoms but my rhuemy has never diagnosed me with lupus, he calls it Connective tissue disease and says it is almost lupus, just right at the line but I haven't crossed that line yet. I don't test positive on some of the other lupus blood tests.

My ANA count has gone down to normal now and I am treated for my joint pain which increases all the time. I take precautions in the sun and try not to be in it too long. What I am trying to say is....Godsgirl I think you should be tested for lupus but if everything comes out OK, I think you should still take all the precautions from the sun. With fibro we do have an autoimmune disease and they can all overlap and the sun can be bad for you even with fibro.

Kathryn, I did see your post where you said you were finally diagnosed, I am glad you finally got an answer although having lupus is not what we hope for. I haven't been on the lupus board for a while, but if you haven't checked it out yet, Veej is a great source of info. She can recommend a great book by Dr. Wallace. Don't leave us though we would miss your input. By the way did your doc recommend regular eye exams by an opthomologist? I got them every six months while on plaquinel or maybe it was every nine months. Anyway it is very important and be sure they do that awful visual field test, thats the one that got me, I finally failed it and it was thought the plaquinel was the cause. It turned out to just be my old bad eyes. But do please keep a check on that.

Glojer

Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

you know what Glojer, I'm thinking I have "almost lupus" too. What my Dr. said was "I'm not diagnosing you with lupus ,but I'm treating you as if it is lupus. So of course all I heard was the lupus part and ran with it.
But like you ,my main problem is joint /muscle pain,abd fatigue. So far I don't have problems with the sun. My ana titer was1:40 speckled which is on the low end for full blown lupus. I kind of wish she had mentioned "connective tissue disorder" to me. It might have deflected the lupus diagnosis a bit. I know when I ask questions on the lupus site people on there are surprised I don't have problems with the sun ,or the rash etc. (by the way ..veej has been very helpfull). so maybe I don't really belong on that site after all. I don't know where I belong Well guess I'll just muddle my way through and bug all of you .

Starting the big motorcycle trip to Colorado on Friday. A little nervous about it ,but we're going to take it slow and easy ,plus my Dr. okayed it and gave me an "emergency" stash of prednisone,which i probably will have to take. Just for a week though. Even though it helps me tremendously it makes me nervous to be on it long term.A week is okay though (plus weaning off time ).

thanks again...guess you're not quite rid of me yet ..Kat

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hi thre,

I don't think being over sensitive to the sun is necessarily anything to do with lupus, fibro and indeed any other illness. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't. Please don't worry about it being illness related.

Just to say, not all people with lupus have problems with the sun, it is about 60% who are. If it was lupus related, you would certainly know about it as I did at one time and this is why I stay out of the sun now.

Take care

goldenwings

Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Kathryn enjoy the trip, and as golden once advised me use the prednisone! Really don't worry about the short term with it, just make yourself comfortable on your trip so you can enjoy it.

I think I forgot to mention that my ANA count went back to normal after starting on medication and hasn't gone back up since. It has been suggested it was high because my thyroid was so messed up.

Have a great time on your bike trip.

Glojer

Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well goldenwings that's good to know and confirms my own feeling about it. I really didn't think that sun sensitivity HAD to be a symptom of lupus ,but COULD be one of them for some people. But when I mentioned this on the lupus site I sort of got a lot of negative feedback. Thanks for confirming that for me. I really love being out in the sun and the thought of having to avoid it was depressing. I may never develop sun sensitivity, and for now I'm taking it a day at a time.
cheers ,Kat

Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

sorry to get in so late kids,
me i am a sun lover. garden, kayak, hike, you name it. i have sunreactive lupus. however i have found if i expose myself slowly i do well and tan right up like i did as a kid.
when my fms is really kicking my fanny a bit of time sitting in the sun revives me and pulls the pain out of my body.
with fibro there are no rules. we all are so unique and different. i do remember in the first couple of years with this i did notice heat got to me. still does. over 100 and i am useless and weak.
good thread. title threw me. gosh i sure am sorry the sun hurts some of you.
be well, be silly, be love,
blue

Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Smile Re: The Sun is Evil

Hiya Kat,

Thing is though, the sun in massive amounts isn't good for anyone, and the cancer scares really should be taken into consideration.

I am as white as a sheet and like to think of myself as pale and interesting hee hee !!

Seriously though, you will know yourself if you feel crummy after sun exposure. If you feel really unwell or notice changes in your skin and sensations that are peculiar, then consider that this is a sign that sun worhsip is not for you. Take all the usual precautions anyway.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 05-06-2007 at 04:28 AM.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

As usual golden great advice. I didn't have any trouble with the sun a couple weeks ago when out working on my deck. Did get a little sunburn (forgot the sunscreen...shame on me) but didn't have that awful tired sick feeling I usually get. I also didn't turn bright red in the face. I think maybe it has to do with early in the year, not being as hot and trying to take better care of myself.

Glojer

Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
(female)

tammy2000 HB User

I like to get in the sun, it seems to make me feel alive some. but I do get a rash like on my arms when i do. But I didnt know this was also a sighn of lupas!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tammy sunsensitivity can be a symptom of lupus. Some people have SCLE which is a form of lupus that effects your skin. But sunsensitivity can be related to so many other things or just be that, sensitivity to the sun. I personally think that people with autoimmune problems are maybe more sensitive at some times more than others depending on flares and medication. But that is just my opinion!

Glojer

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Hi...I wanted to comment about your ANA, there is no such thing as a titer of 1:32, it's actually 1:320, which is quite significant. A doctor who said it was too low for lupus was wrong.

Here is how ANA titers are measured.

1:10
1:20
1:40
1:80
1:160
1:320
1:640

The numbers after the : keep doubling, that is how the test is done.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
(female)

Minerva78 HB UserMinerva78 HB User

I don't mean to bring up an old topic, but I'm still curious as to any more insights someone has about sun sensitivity and FM. I have just developed EXACTLY what you described GodsGirl4ever, and it is driving me crazy because I have never been this sensitive to the sun. I hate being outdoors, because I have severe allergies, but being out in the sun now literally makes me feel sick! It makes all of my joint and muscle aches and fatigue significantly worse.

Problem is, I've seen a rheumatologist both for an initial and follow-up visit, and after running some tests he said that he doesn't think I have anything autoimmune, because none of my bloodwork points to it - including a negative ANA. So he just gave me this fibromyalgia diagnosis, saying 'that's just the term we use for people who have chronic pain'. But I told him at my follow-up visit that the one consistent thing I've noticed about my pain since I first had this "attack" 2 months ago is that it is ALWAYS worse after I am in prolonged sunlight, especially if it's bright and hot, and even indirect sunlight from being in a car. So I asked if there is ANYTHING that could cause problems from the sun - and he said the only thing he sees that in is lupus. But I don't have lupus - I have an elevated sedimentation rate, which he says he doesn't think is significant, even though it has been elevated in the past after 2 previous "attacks", one of which I responded very well to prednisone. So I have FM, until proven otherwise, but it's so hard to take this seriously when the rheumatologist didn't even take it seriously. Even though whatever is wrong with me is significantly impacting my life and my work.

I nearly jumped for joy when I saw this post about sunlight being evil, because I finally thought "yes! maybe this IS truly related to FM, maybe this is something I should take seriously" only to have the conversation go back to lupus. Sigh. I've already posted once on the lupus board, because I felt I had a lot of sxs of lupus, plus I have a lot of risk factors for it (my age, gender, race, and family history of it) but I don't belong there. But isn't there ANYONE else with FM who has this problem with the sun? Anyone??

Sorry for this long, hijacked post - I'm just feeling very frustrated and very lonely right now.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
(female)

tweiler HB User

I have developed sensitivity to the sun. As a kid, I stayed in the sun as much as I could because I enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my skin. But even before I got my fibro dx, I started to have problems with the sun. Some of the meds I take for my fibro warn about sun exposure. I feel silly sometimes carrying a big umbrella on a bright sunny day but I get nauseous if I am in direct sun too long. I tolerate indirect, like being indoors or in the car but direct exposure is what nails me. I did have a little cheap folding unmbrella that I could carry in a purse or backpack but I still got direct exposure so I broke down and bought a large, double canopy umbrella and I carry it. When I go walking with my daughter, she gets under the umbrella with me and I don't feel so silly.

But i hate that I can't get out in the sun and play with my daughter. She's only 8 and doesn't always understand WHY I don't feel good or why I can't do something but then she tries to help me do what I can. So instead of outdoor activities, instead we do indoors activities, like crafts and reading.

Closed Thread