It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

Frozen HB User
FANNtasy

Thank you, again, for recommending Dr. Lichtbraun. I saw him yesterday and got the fibro diagnosis I knew was coming. So at least I have the beginnings of a plan. I appreciate your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: FANNtasy

Hi Frozen, Im glad I could help. I have had nothing but cooperation and respect for my complaints during my visits. I really feel like he listens. He has yet to steer me wrong in treating me with the right meds as well. I truely feel he is an excellent doctor. I hope your experience with him was as good as all of mine have been.
This was your first dx? How long have you been ill? Did Dr. Litchbraun seem like a good doc to you? What did he recomend?
Feel Well, Felicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

Frozen HB User

I've been ill since I had my daughter 5 years ago and it's gotten progressively worse. I knew this was going to be my dx, but I wanted to rule out the "scarier" conditions like MS, RA and so forth. He spent an hour with me, peppered with phone calls and conversations with his office staff. He asked me a lot about mind-body things. PTSD to be exact, which I'm sure I suffer. That impressed me. I was less impressed with his rx of Ultram 4x/day. I've been taking one at night, which seems to help, but I can't imagine being high on Ultram all day. He also had a number of studies to refer me into, if I so choose. Recommended a sleep study, but I'm not willing to use a CPAP even if the study suggests it would be beneficial, so I told him I didn't see the point. I liked that he respected my truthful answer.

I will continue to see him and, again, am very thankful for the referral. I hope you are well.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
(female)

sunny47 HB User

Hi Frozen.......seems that is the favorite thing for the rheumies to order - Ultram 4 times a day. That is what mine did also. I only took 1/2 - 1 at bedtime also. Did he warn you how addictive it is? Beware - it is. I just stopped mine last week and still can not sleep more then an hour a night. Actually had withdrawl after only taking for 4 months. After I know I am totally free of it I will only use when I really need it, not on a regular basis - although it was helping me - at least I got some sleep and had much less morning pain and stiffness.

Just wanted you to know.....sunny

Old 05-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

Frozen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny47 View Post
Did he warn you how addictive it is? Beware - it is.
He didn't mention a thing. But I'm savvy, so I already knew. I have a pretty addictive personality, so I'm going to proceed with caution. It is nice to get a good night sleep, though, and not feel like crap all the time. Maybe I'll try every other night, instead of every night.

I appreciate the heads-up and am glad to have you good folks looking out for me. I've received more support in my short time on this board than I have in 5 years of trying to find a proper diagnosis. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Hi Frozen and Sunny,
Fro, Im glad you feel listened to. For us, with our Rheumies I believe it is important that we feel listened to and our ills are respected by them. I feel like when I explain things to him, his wheels are turning, like he's putting a puzzle together in his head.
He recommended sleep studies with me and cognitive therapy?. Its free at Robert Wood. He and one of his research cronies run the studies there.
He recommended Ultram to me and I told him I had it before and it did not work for me.
I do have what I need to treat my ills with minimal meds. I don't like to take meds unless I really need them. The only daily meds I take are 20mg Lexapro, I try not to take my adivan every day, but I take it for anxiety. I also stock an arsenal of Soma, Zyrtec-D, nasonex, trazidone, and always have gas-x on hand.
The soma helps so much when Im really stiff and achy. A solid night sleep for me to wake with minimal pain I take my soma, an adivan and a trazidone, my evening cocktail. I sleep like a baby and can actually move my neck in the morning. During those episodes this is my lifesaver.
Pain meds with weighty narcotics are the only things that touch the pain and migraine for me, so I only resort to them when I cant handle the pain anymore.
Fro, what do you think caused your PTSD?
Feel Well, Felicia

Old 05-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
(female)

Frozen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANNtasy3 View Post
Fro, what do you think caused your PTSD?
My parents both died, seperately, when I was a child. They were both alcoholics. I went through some sexual abuse. It was a pretty bad scene all around. I never had closure on these issues, despite attempts at counseling, so I can see PTSD as a possibility.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Hey Fro, I too came from an alcoholic dysfunctional family. With some history of sexual abuse by an uncle and male babysitter I had. My parents fought all the time. Im talkin guns in my Moms face. I was wound up tighter then an eight day clock most of my life. I remember having anxiety episodes as early as 4 yrs. old. I guess these could be keys to why I have Panic disorder, but I have been through so many forms of counciling since I was 16. Groups, phycs, even took classes randomly for child rearing and psychology to help raise my own children with a more stable home life.
Every body has a dysfunctional family. Its what we are willing to accept as normal, or willing to accept that was not normal; take that experience and know and understand it was not your fault and it wasn't because of you. Then take what you have learned and change the things that were wrong to you when you were young and make a courageous, conscious effort not to allow what happened to you to happen to your children or any one else's.
I feel I have made myself an advocate for my children, myself, my extended family and friends. I have many heated arguments with my best friends husband about what he says to his kids and how it makes them feel. He thinks its ok to call his 9 yr. old daughter a fat pig.??!!??.. I ask him how it felt when his dad did that to him? The conversation tone then changes.
I love my husband, I trust my husband, but I will admit that I am somewhat uncomfortable when my 10 yr. old daughter who is developing, wants to still wrestle with her dad. I have gotten beyond alot of my stuff, but I am suspicious of most everyone and trust very few people. Not that I am not friendly, but I observe and am cautious. But I have gotten over my childhood rather well. I now have more fond memories that I think and remember romantically then I have bad ones.
Now my husband and kids cause all my anxiety. LOL!
Feel Well, Felicia

Closed Thread