It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

meli911 HB User
Question Fatigue is Ruining My Life

I am a 26-year old female with an array of health problems. Fortunately, they are mostly minor disturbances but nevertheless represent a great obstacle to enjoying and performing daily activities.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism nine years ago. I also have reflux disease, a bowel dysfunction and problems with my upper and lower back/spine. One of my major problems, however, is the fact that I am constantly tired, no matter how much or how little I eat, whether I workout or rest, whether I sleep, nap or don't sleep at all, or whether I eat healthy, balanced meals or fast. Basically, I am feeling low on energy for the most part, though there are times during the day when I hit rock bottom and feel zoned out and unable to move. To an outsider, this may appear as depression, though to me it feels like a combination of mental and physical exhaustion.

The doctors are reluctant to diagnose me with FM since my blood work usually turns out normal and what ever is not, they blame on the thyroid malfunction. (My iron levels are usually in the low/normal range as are my magnesium levels lately.) I often feel as though I'm a diabetic - like my blood sugar plummets and I start to feel light headed with brain fog and in absolute need of food to restore my energy. However, even when I do eat, the energy does not seem to last for more than 10 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if this is all related to my digestion, as I have major problems in that department as well - reflux, constipation, bloating, gas and all that lovely stuff. In fact, these symptoms have become unmanageable over the past six months or so and I often feel that they are the ones making me so tired.

My upper back muscles ache all the time and my tail bone is often in pain, because I have an upper back and a lower back injury. I simply feel like I'm 80 years old! I eat fairly healthy and try to balance my food intake in terms of protein, carbs and fat, but it's almost like I'm consuming something that's toxic to my body. For a while I thought it was aspartame (as I was a total gumaholic) but now I'm not so sure.

What is the breaking point in becoming diagnosed with FM? How does one deal with this extreme fatigue? I am often at a point where I cannot function (mentally or physically) and I find this is really ruining both my personal and professional life. Would taking glucose tablets help? Then again, I have a sugar addiction and have really been trying to watch my intake of the "white poison"...

Any input would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Fatigue is Ruining My Life

Oh sweetie, you are having such a difficult time. Huggies to you.

A couple of suggestions for you are to see a physician that specializes in FMS, rather than trying to obtain a definite FM diagnosis from your regular doctor. Call your local hospital for a reference or do some research to locate a FMS doctor. There might even be a FMS support group at the hospital.

A common symptom of FMS patients is hypoglycemia. If you are indeed suffering from this condition, you could help your exhaustion by stopping the sugar addiction. When you have hypoglycemia, your body responds to high carbs/sugar by severe sugar spikes, followed by severe sugar dips. When you are in a severe sugar dip situation, you are exhausted beyond belief, and panic attacks can happen. In chronic stages of hypoglycemia, diarrhea/IBS symptoms can result. This condition would possibly account for SOME of your exhaustion problems. Personally, I had a great deal of relief from profound exhaustion by switching to a low carb, sugar free diet. The initial weeks of this diet were very difficult for me, but once I got past a certain point, I had a LOT more energy. Plus, I lost a bunch of weight (NOW that's not a bad thing when you are overweight - another common symptom of FMS).

Another suggestion is to become educated on FMS. A lot of the people on this board have had to do this in order to take charge of their health. Progress is being made in the medical community, but there are still huge gaps between initial symptoms and being properly diagnosed. Read "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. St. Amand. Another book that is frequently referred to is authored by Dr. Teitlebaum. I'm not sure of the title of this book, however, since I have not read this one.

Doctors are not gods. They have a difficult time with their own attitudes and presentation by the patient. You keep going and don't be discouraged. There is an answer out there for you, and it may not be your current doctor. Don't be afraid to investigate and move on to another physician. That is a current theme on this board as well!

Blessings to you,
Kirstee

Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

meli911 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Oh sweetie, you are having such a difficult time. Huggies to you.

A couple of suggestions for you are to see a physician that specializes in FMS, rather than trying to obtain a definite FM diagnosis from your regular doctor. Call your local hospital for a reference or do some research to locate a FMS doctor. There might even be a FMS support group at the hospital.

A common symptom of FMS patients is hypoglycemia. If you are indeed suffering from this condition, you could help your exhaustion by stopping the sugar addiction. When you have hypoglycemia, your body responds to high carbs/sugar by severe sugar spikes, followed by severe sugar dips. When you are in a severe sugar dip situation, you are exhausted beyond belief, and panic attacks can happen. In chronic stages of hypoglycemia, diarrhea/IBS symptoms can result. This condition would possibly account for SOME of your exhaustion problems. Personally, I had a great deal of relief from profound exhaustion by switching to a low carb, sugar free diet. The initial weeks of this diet were very difficult for me, but once I got past a certain point, I had a LOT more energy. Plus, I lost a bunch of weight (NOW that's not a bad thing when you are overweight - another common symptom of FMS).

Another suggestion is to become educated on FMS. A lot of the people on this board have had to do this in order to take charge of their health. Progress is being made in the medical community, but there are still huge gaps between initial symptoms and being properly diagnosed. Read "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. St. Amand. Another book that is frequently referred to is authored by Dr. Teitlebaum. I'm not sure of the title of this book, however, since I have not read this one.

Doctors are not gods. They have a difficult time with their own attitudes and presentation by the patient. You keep going and don't be discouraged. There is an answer out there for you, and it may not be your current doctor. Don't be afraid to investigate and move on to another physician. That is a current theme on this board as well!

Blessings to you,
Kirstee
Thank you for the detailed reply, Kristee - it's much appreciated. Everything you've written makes a lot of intuitive sense. I actually recently decided to cut sugar out of my diet entirely and see how my body responds. So far, I am not noticing any significant difference, though it might take some time for my body to cleanse itself of this toxin. I am also very careful about simple carbs and starches... I am really beginning to believe that a lot of illnesses are directly connected to what we put into our bodies.

I will try to get my hands on the book you're recommending. Thanks again for your support and invaluable info.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
(male)

SummerDrivinsun HB User

Hi Meli. I have had Chronic fatigue for about 3 1/2 year now and it is a major
drag.[litterally] When it first came on,I had back pain and tail bone pain also.
I have found that eating more proteins like chicken or fish and more veggies seem to help. If I eat sugar products,I feel worse.
Vitamin B stress formula with extra C seems to help the energy level a bit.
I know what you mean about the brain fog,especially when I have not eaten enough. People say have you been checked for sugar and I tell yes,my sugar levels are great,it's the protein that I need.
I get dizzy on the computor also after about 5 minutes or so.
Have you been checked for Lyme disease?
Sometime it takes knocking on a lot of Dr.s doors before you find a Dr, that will take you serious and not say you're depressed and offer you anti depressants.
Make sure you eat right. You have to love yourself to get through this junk.
Try to think as positive as you can. It's hard when you are going through chronic fatigue but must try to do it.
I hope you feel better. Peace and God bless. Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli911 View Post
I am a 26-year old female with an array of health problems. Fortunately, they are mostly minor disturbances but nevertheless represent a great obstacle to enjoying and performing daily activities.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism nine years ago. I also have reflux disease, a bowel dysfunction and problems with my upper and lower back/spine. One of my major problems, however, is the fact that I am constantly tired, no matter how much or how little I eat, whether I workout or rest, whether I sleep, nap or don't sleep at all, or whether I eat healthy, balanced meals or fast. Basically, I am feeling low on energy for the most part, though there are times during the day when I hit rock bottom and feel zoned out and unable to move. To an outsider, this may appear as depression, though to me it feels like a combination of mental and physical exhaustion.

The doctors are reluctant to diagnose me with FM since my blood work usually turns out normal and what ever is not, they blame on the thyroid malfunction. (My iron levels are usually in the low/normal range as are my magnesium levels lately.) I often feel as though I'm a diabetic - like my blood sugar plummets and I start to feel light headed with brain fog and in absolute need of food to restore my energy. However, even when I do eat, the energy does not seem to last for more than 10 minutes. Sometimes I wonder if this is all related to my digestion, as I have major problems in that department as well - reflux, constipation, bloating, gas and all that lovely stuff. In fact, these symptoms have become unmanageable over the past six months or so and I often feel that they are the ones making me so tired.

My upper back muscles ache all the time and my tail bone is often in pain, because I have an upper back and a lower back injury. I simply feel like I'm 80 years old! I eat fairly healthy and try to balance my food intake in terms of protein, carbs and fat, but it's almost like I'm consuming something that's toxic to my body. For a while I thought it was aspartame (as I was a total gumaholic) but now I'm not so sure.

What is the breaking point in becoming diagnosed with FM? How does one deal with this extreme fatigue? I am often at a point where I cannot function (mentally or physically) and I find this is really ruining both my personal and professional life. Would taking glucose tablets help? Then again, I have a sugar addiction and have really been trying to watch my intake of the "white poison"...

Any input would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

Closed Thread