It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Is Anyone This Bad?

I decided to do some spring cleaning of the house and garage.. Nothing stressful, just a lot of walking back and forth. I had someone else lifting the boxes and garbage bags and taking out the trash. I did this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I was in so much pain Thursady that I couldn't move. I took two Tramadol, two Tylonal and two Aleve and it barely helped. Friday I was even worse. Hurting and burning all over my body. I just layed on the couch al day. I guess this was from the constant movement from the weekend. I did nothing the next two days. So I had four days off from any kind off physical activity whatsoever. Monday I did a lot of running around the next day again to Home Depot, Walmart etc. Now it is Tuesday morning and I can't move again. It hurts to even walk. I am still all over and the pain meds are barely making a dent. This is unbelievable. I really didn't do much except walking and sweeping. I had four days rest. How long does it take for my muscles and tendons to recover? Thank God I a in business for myself that doesn't require any physical activity. There is no way I could work. I am so fed up I am ready to scream. I love it when I read that you are suppose to do light exerise to help Fibro. Well it doesn't help me one bit. It takes my body weeks to recover from the simpliest activity.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: Is Anyone This Bad?

totally understand what youre talking about hon. i cant even go shopping at the mall anymore because i end up "paying for it" for the next few days . PAIN GALORE! i used to be extremely active, walked 3 miles a day, or biked anywhere from 8 - 10 miles a day. I used to go to church 3 times a week, worked a full 40 hour a week job at an elementary school office, held bunco parties, and went to them as well, used to go on vacations, i held 3 different jobs at church (volunteer), used to teach bible school to the younger ones, then later to the teenagers, was an elder and treasurer of our church. i used to love going shopping, i also held a ladies party once a month where i did all the cooking, and we'd play pictionary till midnight. Loved going to antique furniture auctions, even had my own antique shop for two years. Was a soccer/baseball/football mom who was involved in it totally. I was a wonderful , happy all around mother, wife, sister, friend.
That was before the fibro and my autoimmune disease got worse. Didnt mean i didnt have pain when i was doing all that in my previous style of life, just meant that the fibro progressed to full blown and beyond.

Now, all that has changed. If i go shopping one day, it means 2 - 3 days of complete miserable pain. We dont even go to movies anymore, or parties and no longer am i involved in church, cant even go to services tho i do the next best thing and watch services on tv. Everything , my way of life ended when the fibro progressed. I dont even make up my bed anymore, my husband cooks and keeps the house clean and then goes to work full time , takes me to my doctors appts, etc. If i try to help and clean house, i end up paying for it later. sometimes i dont care because i hate feeling useless, so i muster all the strenght i have and clean or do laundry or cook, even tho i know i'll pay for it later. Its been this way for years now. I long for the days of when i was a very active person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

anstar HB User

I'm going through that right now. I'm a single parent with a full time job and a home to care for. I had to mow the yard over the weekend (with a push mower) and after mowing the entire acre I was in so much pain I couldn't move. It took everything I had to stand in the shower long enough to clean off the dirt and grass.

This morning the doctor gave me a steroid shot and drew what felt like about half my blood to run a laundry list of tests on.

I keep hoping the doctors will find something that can actually be cured (or at least managed) in one of those tests.

Getting the diagnosis of Fibro was kind of a mixed blessing for me. Initially there was the "Yay, (and see! there really is something wrong with me) factor, and then came the "what do you mean managing it is hit or miss"? What works for me one week won't work the next and what aggravated it last week doesn't today. <sigh> I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Rstarre,

Sorry to hear you're in flare mode.

There are people with fibro who have difficulty getting out of bed (the physical movement), showering & dressing. Been there at times myself. Most of us have been active physically before fibro. It's not a lazy personality thing ... as you well know!

The basic lifestyle adjustment (until you figure out your cure!) is to accomplish tasks in tiny bites. For example, do a little bit each day until the job is done. Think like the tortoise, not the hare! It is a major adjustment for most of us, and, bottom line, of course you don't get as much done overall with these tiny bites ... but reducing pain & suffering & downtime is worth a lot, too.

One of the biggest aggravations for me is shopping. I used to go out once or twice a week & do all the errands & shopping on a loop. I'm a thrifty comparison shopper, so often when I shop, it's 7 stores. No more. The extra driving with mulitple shorter trips really bugs me, esp. with gas as high as it is.

Another coping mechanism -- if you like most of us have more "stuff" than you need, when it's time for Christmas, birthday, Mom's day presents, etc., ask for some professional cleaning services, or just a set of homemade coupons in 20 min. denominations, for you to "redeem" for physical help.

Best wishes.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
(female)

spiritofsal HB User
Smile Re: Is Anyone This Bad?

Awww, sorry to hear about all your pain rstarre. I wanted to let you know I totally understand as the same thing happens with me. It's soooo hard for me to pace myself on my 'good days' as it never fails that I overdo it. I just never know how many good days I will have in a row and want to get as much done as I can. Just be careful, and maybe talk to your doctor about getting some stronger pain medications to help you with the pain on those bad days.

I'm sure it was a great feeling of accomplishment to get that garage cleaned out, but relax now . I'm sure after many trial & errors, you will find what works for you. That's the toughest thing, is learning what your limitations are, and how to deal with them. Take care. GBU

Sally

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

KissAmeGal HB User

Totally undestand!!
I have to clean and do household chores in spurts. Every so often i get a huge burst of energy and do alot at once........OMG!! and pay for it for a few days. It just wears me out and pains me also to just go to the store. On those days i have to do it in the morning, b4 it gets too hot. But i'm done for the rest of the day even with going in the mornings. putting my hair up and doing my daughters hair completely tires my arms, and even just combing it.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

rstarre, hope you are feeling better. I agree with everyone, you have to do things in very small 'spurts' of time. I try to do only a few hours a day, but I have had those days where I have to shop and be going all day long and I really pay for it. Like today I am paying for a wonderful day with my daughter yesterday shopping and running around and then going out to dinner with the family. Sometimes it is unavoidable but for the most part I try to do even small things like laundry (it's just the two of us now) or filing all the paperwork that piles up in very small amounts of time.

Glojer

Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Hi, I am fairly new to this site but not new to FM. Pacing is so important with FM...that being said....it's not easy.

On days when I feel good I want to do everything I can't usually do...then I end up paying for it for several days later.

I asked my husband and teenagers to help with the housework.....the husband doesn't mind...the teenagers...well that's like pulling teeth but if they want to go and do anything they will help with chores LOL

I was a Type A person and I have had to learn to let it all go and now I live in a messy house but hey you gotta do what you gotta do. It didn't take me as long as I thought it would to let my perfection go....basically my pain gave me no choice.

Try to do the important things and delegate or pay someone to do the rest. Having FM has forced me to look at things a lot differently.

Wishing you pain free days!

Froggyfog

Old 05-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Froggyfog you are so right, having fm has made us all make different choices and to really decide what is important and what is not. I like you have let go of a lot of those perfectionist things and it is amazing how unimportant they became. I wish I could have had that kind of freedom to let things go when I was younger instead of pushing myself to make things perfect like I thought they should be. We live and learn!

Glojer

Old 05-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
(female)

Piano-Girl HB User

I know how you feel. I am hurting here as I type but can't take anything because the mobic kills my stomach..maybe a flexeril would help.

Sorry you are having a rough go of it. Hugs!

Closed Thread