It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Sleep Lab

I am going to the sleep lab Friday for an overnight test. Has anyone else done this? Any advice? I am worried I won't be able to sleep with all of the wires hooked on me.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User
Re: Sleep Lab

I have not done this myself but I've had a couple friends who have. It is nothing to worry about. You'll have a nice cozy atmosphere and it will not be uncomfortable. Just make sure you'll be tired, meaning no naps beforehand and stuff.

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

BetsyAnn, I have had a sleep study done and the wires will seem awkward at first but you will soon not notice them. Don't worry about falling asleep, if there is medication you take to help you sleep be sure you take it along and ask the techs if you need to take it. I took mine along but my mistake was not asking if they wanted me to take the meds, I foolishly assumed they would read my paperwork and tell me if they wanted me to take the meds. My problem has always been falling asleep and staying asleep and that is what I told them. I didn't fall asleep (not because of the wires or anything) and that was the diagnosis. She couldn't fall asleep as she stated and the sleep docs recommendation was sleeping pills. DUH, I have been on them for a couple years. I didn't quite get the point of the test, I did it anyway. My rhuemy was the one who sent me and he said they should have sedated me and I said I already take a sleeping pill what could they have learned if I took a pill and it made me sleep? The tech told me everyone has some sleep apnea and they need to find out if I needed a cpap machine which I would not have used anyway.

OK, sorry I got a little carried away. The sleep test is really not bad, the wires won't bother you and they will make your room comfortable. Someone gave me a tip to take a hat to cover up your hair on the way home cause that stuff they use to attach the wires will make it look funky. That was a good tip, so I am passing it along....take a hat.

Glojer

Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
(female)

froggyfog HB User

I had a sleep study done. They make the room as comfortable as possible and will get you anything you need.

I agree with the other post about taking you medication. You might want to ask you doctor before hand if he wants you to take it or not. Or you could ask the sleep study tech.

My sleep study results were fine.....which was surprizing to me! I wake up ever night several times in pain. Oh well, just goes to show you how crazy this FM is....lab test look OK too.

Froggyfog

Last edited by froggyfog; 05-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Hey Ladies. I feel more at ease after reading your posts. Thanks for the great tips. The hat was particularly good advice for me since I never would have thought of it.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
(female)

kyethra HB User

It might be a good idea to warn them at the lab too if you move around a lot so then can fasten the leads more securely if that is the case.

I've had three sleep studies in the past year. Its not that big of a deal. I actually really liked the MLST- the sleep latency test cause I got to take naps. That was how I found out I have narcolepsy.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Kyethra, what are/were your narcolepsy symptoms?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Well I had the sleep lab done. I got a call today. They said I did not show any evidence of sleep apnea. However, they are suspcious of narcelepsy and said I would need to do the sleep latency test.

Who has narcelpesy and what can you tell me of your symptoms?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
(female)

nix5149 HB User

I wish they'd do a sleep lab on me. I've always had insomnia and have never been "a morning person." It's like I'm not tired when I'm supposed to go to bed and I'm exhausted when I wake up, usually because of vivid and complicated nightmares. I'm curious what they might find, but concerned that I might not be able to get to sleep in a strange bed.

My half-sister is actually on disability due to narcolepsy (she can't drive because she just drops off ), and her daughter was just dx'd with narcolepsy.

Sleep disorders seem to run in the family.

Nik

Old 08-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #10
(female)

Kutztown07 HB User

I too had a sleep study in 2006. Did not sleep well at all. The second one was a lot better. My sleep study indicated sleep apnea and fibromyalgia symptons. I had a lot of arousels in my sleep. It just confirmed to me that I have fibro. Also, RLS showed up in the second study. The sleep Dr. did not think that was a problem to me. Now it is, in June the RLS symptoms started appearing. It was keeping me awake, so I told My Ruem. Dr. about it. Now I have to take a pill for that and a pill for my fibro. Who would guess that I am the pill popper of the family! (HAHA)

Have a good day

Diane (Kutztown07)

Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #11
(female)

LaDawn8284 HB User

Sleep Apnea and Fibromyalgia....sleep disorders and Fibro seem to go together. Recently I had a left lobe thyroidectomy for a calcified nodule. Anyone with these two illnesses might be wise to have your thyroid checked out. [removed] I found that doctors with open minds are better than the stuffed shirts and if they are a medical doctor and hompathic you get the conventional medicine along with the natural meds. I have had Fibro for seven years and many secondary illness with it. Too many to actually go into but my sleep disorder is the most aggravating along with pain.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-05-2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Closed Thread