It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

tutti-fruti HB User
anti-depressants

I've had fibro for the past 4 years approx. The first rheumy who actually managed to diagnose me with fibromyalgia also told me that I would probably benefit a lot from something called cognitive behavioural therapy which is done by a psychiatrist. I only decided to visit one now, like a month ago. On my first visit, he prescribed me Cymbalta 60 mg. Being very fragile and knowing that I am very sensitive to medications/side effects etc., I decided not to take it although I bought it. On my second visit, the psychiatrist asked me if I started taking the medication and I told him that no. He insisted very much on me taking it explaining to me that our psychotherapy will help me a lot but the medication will really really do me good. I don't believe that, because I think that the medication is a temporary relieve (if it works at all), and what really happens when you have to stop it. Don't all the symptoms come back ? anyway, i went to my third consultation and he asked me again if I took the cymbalta, i told him no, he got upset and preached me about it. anyway, i am not going back to him. I would like to know from those of you who have had experience with anti-depressants such as cymbalta, if it is all that good for you and how do you manage this medication in the long run. Doesn't the organism get used to it and then the mg have to be increased ? did anyone here do the cognitive behavioural therapy with a psychiatrist ? do u believe in anti-depressants for our illness ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User
Exclamation Re: anti-depressants

There are important and unanswered philosophical questions regarding psychotherapy and drugs in the treatment of fibro/cfs.

I don't think anyone would deny that the mental distress and unhappiness caused by a disease with the kinds of symptoms sufferers experience would contribute to a downward spiral.

As to the effectiveness of a particular type of mental therapy or a particular drug, research is being done all the time. If something doesn't help you, then you can always drop it. But if you don't try it, how can you know whether it helps? If you get some relief, some extra energy, some extra mental clarity, you can channel that into strengthening your network of friends and family, or you can do more work and make more money to get more treatment, or you can use the extra time and energy to search for a solution on your own.

But if you do the same things you've always been doing, you'll get the same result. And if that result is already slipping backward, well, then that's not so good...

Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

barbwest HB User
Re: anti-depressants

You are right to not take anything you do not feel comfortable with. Did he start you on the full 60 mgs? (or try too!) Most protocols for Cymbalta start at a much lower dose, and then go up to the higher dosage. I have read on this site about a lot of people that have a really hard time trying to discontinue taking the Cymbalta. Just do a search on Cymbalta, lots of posts to read! Good for you for taking a stand against someone who sounds more like a bully than a Dr.!
I hope you feel better soon!
PS-I am not saying Cymbalta is bad, actually I am taking it right now!! I am not sensitive to drugs, and I think it is a good fit for my situation, I have only taken it for about 6 weeks, so I am not really in a position to say if it is successful yet, but even now, I am only on a 40 mg. dose.

Closed Thread