It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

Dotgerda HB User
Post Fibro or something else?

Hi. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have a question. I've been under treatment for fibro for about 10 years now. Strange things are starting to happen that seem to be symptoms of other autoimmune diseases so I am wondering if I have something more? Has anyone with fibro or other autoimmune disorders (and if so, which ones?) had: raised hemoglobin with decreased bone density at the same time; difficulty getting numb for dental work; "pseudo" menstrual symptoms on a weekly cycle. The last one is the worst because I am sick every week for a day plus I have a day of "pseudo" PMS. I say pseudo because all my tests show I'm already menopausal????

Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
(female)

tammy2000 HB User
Re: Fibro or something else?

I was told i have fibro 4 years or so ago.
I dont know on most of your symptoms, but im also already menopausal and i also have decreased bone density. And i also am sick feeling often, but i feel that is from the migrains that i also have. I hope someone else can help you with your other symp.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Dot:

Your symptoms do not totally jive with FMS.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Dot, welcome to the board. Your symptoms sound like they are from separate problems. What kind of meds do you take for FM, maybe they are causing the bone loss or causing the problems with numbing for dental work. I would think the other problems are from menopause. Of course menopause can cause bone loss. These are very good questions or problems to discuss with your doc.

Glojer

Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Dot,

I have FMS & have the difficulty numbing for dental work. It came on for the most part slowly over about 15 yrs., but it's really difficult for me to get work done. The novocaine only numbs a bit, and only last for 2 min. -- it's been timed. These are doses that should be good for an hour or more.

I got a new dentist who said it was "just dental anxiety," so I tried a rec. relaxer before my last filling 3 yrs. ago. It was hell on wheels as far as pain, but I was not anxious (I don't believe that is my main problem; it's the constant electric shock sensations from the nerves.) Unfortunately that one dose of relaxer med (Halcion, I think it was) put me into a significant depression for about 10 days.

I have a hodgepodge of autoimmune diagnoses in addition to the fibro. But the dental thing has become more of an issue since the fibro became more severe.

Best wishes.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
(female)

Olivette HB User

Dotgerda do you know if your blood calcium levels are normal?
Hyperparathyroidism can cause bone loss and is often discovered around the menopausal ages. Many of the symptoms can imitate fibro. liv

Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
(female)

Dotgerda HB User

I've had blood work to test the thyroid and it's always normal. Is it the usual thyroid test?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
(female)

Dotgerda HB User

I think I'm going to tell my dentist I found you. Have you considered getting general anesthesia? I think I'm going to have to demand it for root canal if I need that. I have had NO dental anxiety until lately due to this so the "anxiety" diagnosis is a crock in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
(female)

Dotgerda HB User

I've already discussed this with several doctors and they all are scratching their heads. In answer to your question, I take elavil and prozac for a good many years now and haven't had any problems like this. The reason it's confusing is because it's NOT menopausal symptoms, it's PMS and menstrual symptoms but all tests show I'm menopausal and have non-functioning ovaries!!! That's why I'm looking for someone with the same thing with fibro.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

<<I've had blood work to test the thyroid and it's always normal. Is it the usual thyroid test?>> This is different from your thyroid test. This is your parathyroid. There are 4 of them very small above your thyroid. However, if one of them is malfunctioning it will show up in your blood calicum levels as high and your parathyroid levels will be above normal. I had a parathyroid blood test because of my unsual Z score. I was dx with Osteoporosis. If you are having problems with your parathyroid it does have symptoms similar to fibro.

Bunni
dx Fibro, ME/CFS, MS

Closed Thread