It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Fibro and surgery

Hi all........I have fibro. Under control for months. Had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and have been nauseous and dizzy ever since. I am sick to the stomach constantly . before eating and shortly after. PCP thinks I have vertigo but I'm wondering because of the stress and pain of surgery not to mention anesthesia if this could be a fibro flare up. Not too much muscle pain but can't sleep due to the pain in my shoulder. I am at my wits end with the nausea. Only get dizzy when I get up in the morning. Any ideas?

ICC

Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Fibro and surgery

My bet would be either the anesthesia or or a reacation between pain meds or whatever you have been given to help with the shoulder pain and your fm meds. Or just a reaction to the new meds for the shoulder surgery. Meds can do so much when it comes to dizzy and nausea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi, I also have fibro and had shoulder surgery. After the surgery I was in excrutiating pain ( shoulder) and could not sleep either. The pain meds I was given were the same ones I was already taking for fibro and I asked the surgeon ( before the surgery) to please give me something different. She told me to try what I already had and call if it was a problem, well when I called she wouldn't change it and said I shouldn't have so much pain, I was also having trouble breathing and my vision was blurry for 2 weeks(VERY BLURRY). She didn't want to hear any of this and told me it couldn't possibly be anything related to the surgery and maybe I should go see my regular doctor and also get an eye exam! Duh, my vision was fine until the surgery. Sorry I don't have any answers for you just similar situation. Good luck to you. I wasn't buying it then and still don't. I should have been a little more aggressive but it's a little difficult when you're feeling so badly. If your up to it I would say keep trying to get answers or maybe you can have someone help you? You know make the calls and appts. for you? All the best, I know firsthand how frustrating it is to have a doctor do surgery and then just write you off.
Kara

Old 05-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hi all. .. thanks for the responses. I saw my PCP who believes I have vertigo and prescribed something for it. Also told me to see my ENT which I did Monday. I test positive for BPPV. Definitely my right side. He gave me exercises to do with my head that hurt like all get out on my shoulder. Dizziness has lightened up unless i am laying flat or on my right side which I have to do as the surgery was on the left. UGH!! I took a vacation the week before the surgery knowing I wouldn't be able to do anything for months after. The ENT feels the flight's landing started to move crystals in in ear and then laying on my right side for 2 hours during the surgery is what brough tit on. I'm hoping it passes soon.

Glojer........I stopped all pain meds the week after surgery thinking that's what it was. I do believe I had more than one thing going on. I think the Toradol caused gastritis which is getting better.

Kdel.........I had the tip of the acromium bone taken off, 10 bone spurs and a 2 inch tear in my rotator cuff repaired. From what I am told the horribel constant pain is normal. It's only been 3 weeks and I can tell the diffeent type of pain. I started PT the other day and thought I would die. Had to ice and take pain pills all day. I've been told that PT will make it worse for awhile. If I knew the pain was this bad I don't think I would have had the surgery. Hubby keeps telling me to hang in there because it will be better in time. SLeeping is horrible. Just can't get comfortable. I took whatever the surgeon gave me for pain beecause I don't think anything works anyway. My rheumi told me a long time ago that alot of people with fibro are med sensitive and have a hard time finding pain killers that work. I don't take anything for the fibro.

ICC

Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

ICC- my surgery was 2 years ago and I hate to say this but the pain is still there and at times just as bad as before. I too would not have gone through it if I had known! I'm really wondering if they even did anything at all in there. I had what was called a labrel tear. They told me after surgery that they just scraped out excess tissue but could not reapair it. What in the world did I go through all that for? In the future I will find out EVERYTHING first instead of just trusting that they know what's best. I think they just did it so I would stop coming in complaining about it!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Morning kdel............I suffered 5 injuries at work last May. Shoulder was only one of them. Had a severe impinged rotator cuff. Couldn't lift my arm to drive. It effected my bicep and tricep so I didn't have much of a choice. Surgeon has told me that the surgery went well so I am hoping for a full recovery. The 2 inch rotator cuff teat was a surprise to all when he went in. didn't show up on the MRI. Couldn't do the surgery arthoscopically so had to cut. I figure that I had major repair done on the shoulder and there's no way it's going to be better in 3 weeks. I am doing the exercises they told me to do at home and suffer through PT but will do my best to recover fully. I visit a WC sight and have heard of labrum tears and that they are really hard to repair at times. I am so sorry you are still hurting. Is there anything that can be done to ease the pain? My feeling is since they couldn't repair it is why you still hurt.

ICC

Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi ICC, I also had bicep involvement which they didn't find until they were in. My surgery was arthoscopic. They said they couldn't do the repair without cutting me and didn't want to do that at the time. I was completely knocked out (general anesthesia) and also they put me on a ventilator to breathe for me which I found out later from another dr. was NOT necassery. This addded more complication and took much longer for me to wake up then it should have. The first anesthesiologist that was supposed to take care of me came in to talk to me before the procedure and I told him I was very nervous and my heart was racing WELL, he walked out and refused to treat me. They had to get someone else right there on the spot. I should have walked out at that point. Anyway they didn't want to cut me without my permission so now I suffer. This was an awful experience for me which is why I have been just living with it until I can't anymore. At that point I will see a different doctor and recount my story and if surgery is necessary again I will make sure all t;s are crossed and i's dotted BEFORE anyone touches me!

Closed Thread