It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
FM & Malic Acid Help

More info sharing.......most, not all, of the FM gals I know also suffer w/significant myofascial trigger point pain in the trapezius muscle ---the muscle that runs down the center/sides of the back of the neck and across the upper back/shoulder blades. A couple of years ago a chiropractor had told me to try Malic Acid w/magnesium formula and just follow labeling dosing directions. I did and did not notice any particularly significant improvement. Recently I ran across a Fibromyalgia Support website that includes in its library resources information from the American College of Physicians on Malic Acid for Treating Fibromyalgia. In a study published in May 1995 edition of the Journal of Rheymatology it states the effective dosing level for FM relief is 1200 mg 2x daily which is basically double that of the label recommendations.

In two medical studies it was reported that relief began within 48 hours--- 500 patients over 6 yr period, achieved some relief 90% of the time. While I am sure the degree of relief likely varied from patient to patient, I thought this was encouraging! So, I picked some up at my local health food store, about $14. I was pleasantly surprised 2 days later. I definitely felt a difference......not a miracle, but a definite difference. I have INTENSE knots in my shoulder blade area & neck. Don't get me wrong....they are still there but the pain is not raging like it was. The relief was significant enough that I went online and ordered 5 bottles of it for about half the price I paid at my local healthfood store.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: FM & Malic Acid Help

malic acid and magnesium definitely help. I also have cmp like you but most of mine are in my lower back and glutes, the most painful ones anyway. I have trigger point injections that release the active trp, then the next inactive trp becomes active and i have that one injected. sometimes the fascia will release with massage/manual trp release. I also see a chiro, PT, and pain mgmt does the injections. I have had chains of them from neck to lower leg, sometimes pinching nerves and causing horrible pain.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: FM & Malic Acid Help

Jam, thanks for the info. I take Malic Acid but I will have to check my dosage. I also have the neck and shoulder 'stuff' going on, I will be sure to do the 1200mgs. twice daily and see how that helps.

Glojer

Closed Thread