It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
FM-Multiple Chemical Sensitivities???

I have read elsewhere that some FM patients get multiple chemical sensitivities ........I am beginning to think I may now have progressed to that. I am noticing now sensitivities to medications.....even things that I have been taking for years. I now have sensitivities to all kinds of smells that will make feel nauseous or give me a headache. Even an increased sensitivity to sunlight which kills my eyes.....feel like a ******* walking out into the sunlight! lol

For example on medication sensitivies.....

Cymbalta-made me so nauseous I could not eat....and a total zombie....I mean can't get out of the bed zombie....very dizzy & disoriented.

Amitriptyline-horrid bloody murder nightmares for 3 nights after only taking 10 mg. for 1 night.

Flexeril-intense heart irregularities

AmbienCR-severe lower leg/feet/toe tingling

Lunesta-severe next day bitter taste for half day & severe strange body chills

For years I was able to take 1 Soma 3-4 times daily with no adverse effects. Yet, over the last few months if I take more than 1/4-1/2 tablet I feel very heavily sedated and get heart palpitations.....so wierd as that never happened before.

Unfortunately, as of late I seem to have adverse reactions to most of the things my doctor is trying me on in hopes of finding something that will work to give me some level of relief, w/tolerable side effects.

I have learned now to ask my doctor to be sure to prescibe things only in tablet form where I can split/lower doses and customize---never gel cap form which offers no split options. I also ask to be started at the lowest dose possible to see how my system responds....and then I progress up gradually so at least if I am going to experience reactions they have been minimized as much as possible.

Just wondering how many others experince this particular symptom????

Last edited by jam338; 06-01-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

spiritofsal HB User
Smile Re: FM-Multiple Chemical Sensitivities???

Hi Jam, sorry to hear about your multiple chemical sensitivities. I want you to know that you are not alone, as I too have had problems with numerous medications.

It took me a long time to find the right combination of medications. So hang in there, it takes a lot of patience. What you mentioned about getting your meds in tablet form is a good idea. As well as starting on the lowest possible dose. That should make it much easier to adjust.

I also have increased sensitivity to lights and noise. When I go to the dentist, I have to wear sunglasses because my eyes water so bad I have tears rolling down. I always wear sunglasses, even in the winter and that really helps. Well I used to I should say, I have transition lenses in my eyeglasses so I don't need the sunglasses. And as far as noise goes, sometimes when it gets too loud, or just too much commotion, I get anxiety/panic really bad. The first thing I notice is that I start shaking and get really irritable. This is why at times I avoid shopping, like at the malls, and go more to department stores like Walmart, Shopko, etc... These places can be just as bad but I can usually find an aisle with no people in it to calm down. It's not just that why I avoid shopping as much as possible, it's also the increased pain I get too. But sometimes I just have to force myself, esp. when I am out of something.

Take care. GBU

Sally

Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: FM-Multiple Chemical Sensitivities???

Hi Jam,

Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, has found that many fibro sufferers are sensitive to meds & that some of these folks actually do better with alternative med remedies, which have fewer side effects. Something to think about, but I know that for many it's heresy.

One silver lining to be med-sensitive is that that symptom can be a signal that you may be sensitive also to environmental chemicals. Limiting exposures to such things can be a "liberating limitation" -- something you can control, and in doing so, reduce your pain load.

Best wishes.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

tweiler HB User

I haven't really noticed and increase in my sensitivities to chemicals from when I was a kid. But I was always more sensitive than my sibs. I had to quit school my sr yr because the school would not let me drop a class held in the biology room right after sr anatomy class. I got migraines from the lingering smell of formaldehyde. But I have noticed noises bother me more, especially sirens. I physically hurt all over when I hear a siren close by. And we live just around the corner from a EMS station and on the cross street below us is a fire station. But noises in stores get to me as well. Kids crying tear me apart nowadays but I can tolerate my relatives kids, fortunately most are out of the "baby" stage and can talk to tell you what they need. I have had "meltdowns" in stores from the noises and I go to the bathroom which is usually a lot quieter to calm down. I don't handle crowds well so unless I am just window shopping, I have someone with me for real shopping. Otherwise, the shopping would not get done. My family has learned how to distract me from the crowds and the stress it causes. But i still have anxiety attacks and that never happened before the fibro. And I have developed some claustrophobia as well. I don't mind escalators but I don't tolerate elevators very well anymore.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Spiritofsal, Elmar, & Tweiler, thanks so much for your replies. Yeah I definitely relate to almost all of what y'all have said......in addition to the sensitivities already mentioned I also experience sensitivity to light and noises....extreme sensitivity to light....walking out into sunlight now I feel like I must look like a ******* coming out of the crypt covering my eyes. Hubby bought me some VERY dark Jack Nicholson type glasses that while helping a lot....well lets say they are not an enviable fashion statement for a gal....but hey they work

What I have been experiencing over the past couple of years is that symptoms are now oddly shapeshifting on me......meaning I will suddenly get new or different symptoms ....all from FM list of course....but it makes me reticent to even mention some of them to my primary care doc for fear he will begin to think I am acting hypochondriac~like....ugh! It seems that he has only some very basic awareness about FM, but through me opening up to him some he is learning. He is VERY young so still enthusiastic and interested in truly helping patients.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi jam,
have you had your eyes checked lately? always a good idea to be sure it is a sensitivity, not a real issue. i found using lubrication eye drops helped my light sensitivity. my eye doc turned me on to that. as usual he was right. easy fix. i don't wear sunglasses anymore. i have had cataract replacement in both eyes. light sensitivity is a side affect of that surgery. yet if i use my handy little drops i can see the world in her true colors.
my list of meds i am now allergic to is so long they have to put 3 bracelets on me in hospital.
you will also find enviornmental sensitivities come and go. amazing thing this fibro. amazing and unpredictable. sorta like life. you will get the hang of it, tho. we all do. each new aspect comes and somehow we adapt.
peace,
bluelakelady
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread