It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Severe hip pain fibro related?

I've had Fibromyalgia for 11 years, but was only diagnosed a few months ago...have been in a bad flare-up for almost a year and a half now. For as long as I can remember I've had occasional bouts of hip pain, always my right hip...sometimes to the point of difficulty walking. It's always eventually gone away on its own. The pain has been quite severe since last summer and for the past couple months I can barely reach down to tie my shoes. It's a pain that radiates from my hip up into my lower back on the right side. My hamstrings are also unbelievably tight. I'm seeing a new chiropractor next week. Maybe this isn't the Fibro at all,... since my diagnosis though, I've just been assuming it is. Oh, and I also have had a lot of pain and aching in other parts of my body, like my hands and arms. But that pain comes and goes throughout the day and "travels", whereas this problem in my hip is constant. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but if any of you have any ideas on this, please let me know. Thanks!

kd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

dottie51 HB User
Re: Severe hip pain fibro related?

Hi kdmari, I new to this site, and I've had fibromyalgia for more than 25years. It took them a long time to diagnose me. They don't have a blood test to confirm fibromyalgia. They do tests to rule things out, and I'm also wondering due you have at least 18 trigger points? The main thing is to see a Rheumatologist and one that is willing to answer your questions, and not race you out of the examination room. I was just recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'm wondering how bad I'm going to get. I'm on Methotrexate and Folic Acid, and then I got the ok from my Insurance Co. to start taking Enbrel. These are injections and on Tuesday, I'm learn how to give myself the injection. Are you on any Medications? Are they helping? I think at first, you need to find out if you have the fibro. I think it can be controlled with some medications. There are some days when the pain is not so bad, it's just manageable. I hope that you can get there yourself. Let me know how you make out at the Dr. Please send me a message back to let me know how you're doing. Take care, Dottie51

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

kdmari HB User

Hi Dottie, thanks so much for replying. Actually, I was diagnosed by my rheumatologist with fibromyalgia last winter. I was just wondering if specifically the hip pain I've been experiencing off and on for years is from the fibro or something else. Three days ago the pain in my hip became excruxiating.. my foot went completely numb and I started getting muscle spasms from my hip down to my calf. I'm on day 3 of this now. I saw a chiropractor yesterday and he said it may be a herniated disk. I didn't need this, but Oh well... there are worse things.
Oh and I did have pain in all but one of the trigger points my rheumatologist tested. I'm not on any medication for the fibro because I get sick to my stomach on most pain killers, which for me is worse than the pain. I was taking tryptophan for a while to help me sleep, but stopped when I read some of the possible side effects. My sleep's been a little better lately anyway.
How did it go today learning to give yourself injections? I would do that myself too if I had to get them regularly. Much nicer than having to go to the doctor every time. Take care..
kd

Old 06-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi KD:

The hip pains (and other pains) you are experiencing are very common symptoms in FMS. The reason the hip pain is so severe is the muscles around the hip are very large, so the flare you have experienced is very painful. This sort of flare can make it even hard to walk or lift your leg up to climb steps. Have you tried soaking in a hot tub with minerals added to the water?

The traveling pain you are experiencing is also normal. The way my fibro doctor explains FMS is calcium and phosphates are not charging in inidividual cells of the body. This charging action is what gives our bodies energy. But, in FMS patients, the phosphates sloughs off, and floats in the body until it finds a place to settle (tendons, rib cage, muscles). Depending on where this stuff settles is where you will experience pain.

Take care,
Kirstee

The Following User Says Thank You to kirstee For This Useful Post:
KarenHaston (11-14-2011)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
(female)

ConnieP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Hi KD:

The hip pains (and other pains) you are experiencing are very common symptoms in FMS. The reason the hip pain is so severe is the muscles around the hip are very large, so the flare you have experienced is very painful. This sort of flare can make it even hard to walk or lift your leg up to climb steps. Have you tried soaking in a hot tub with minerals added to the water?

The traveling pain you are experiencing is also normal. The way my fibro doctor explains FMS is calcium and phosphates are not charging in inidividual cells of the body. This charging action is what gives our bodies energy. But, in FMS patients, the phosphates sloughs off, and floats in the body until it finds a place to settle (tendons, rib cage, muscles). Depending on where this stuff settles is where you will experience pain.

Take care,
Kirstee

Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
(female)

ConnieP HB User

KD,
I was diagnosed with FM in 87, I too experience extreme hip pain to the point of not being able to walk. Can't stand it some days. You know what i have found MOST helpful? Exercise, I go to the gym every single day and walk on a treadmill 45 mins, and then in a steam room for 15. The steam helps the MOST I think but the walking loosens everything up.
Good Luck,
CP

Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
(female)

froggyfog HB User

I have right hip pain and FM also. The hip pain comes and goes and is more severe right before my period. After many tests(MRI, x-rays,) and seeing many doctors mine turned out to be SI Joint Dsyfunction. Look it up on the internet and see if this could be your problem.

Many times we are quick to dismiss things to our FM, but it is not always to case(been there, done that LOL). It is always good to follow thru with the doctor.

Froggyfog

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

kd,

I agree with your chiropractor who thinks you need to be evaluated for a disk problem. The numbness and muscle spasms in addition to the increasing pain are the concerning symptoms in my mind. Better safe than sorry, you should go see your primary MD and see if he or she thinks your back needs a closer look.

Good luck and keep us posted!
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 06-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks everyone... well, I saw my doctor a few days ago and she's sending me for an MRI to see if it's a disk problem. (btw, Froggyfog,.. she said it could be F1) On the other hand, she said it could be from the fibro too, so I guess I'll see what shows up on the MRI. I'm seeing a physical therapist this week, so maybe she'll be able to tell me more.
I appreciate all your helpful posts!

kd

Closed Thread