It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
So sensitive to meds--anybody with luck going holistic?

Hi all! I posted on the allergy board tonight because I feel like I have absolutely had it!! I have fibro although it's a mild case, acid reflux, a problem with hives and a definite sensitivity to medications. Right now I feel like the healthier I go, the sicker I get!! I quit smoking recently and since then my sensitivity to meds has gotten worse. Granted, having fibro makes a person sensitive to meds, but has anyone had luck going alternatively or holistically? Has anyone gone the vitamin route with success either? If I try to exercise, I break out in hives or rashes, and if I go out into the sun with the meds they give me, I break out in rashes. If anyone can offer a suggestion, I would love some advice. Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
Re: So sensitive to meds--anybody with luck going holistic?

hi Hope, sounds like you have several things going on simultaneously and your sensitivities could be from a variety of things. Nonetheless, in response to your post, I for one have tried just about everything I think. For the past six months I have been spending half of my monthly retirement on aggressively pursuing alternative/holistic care.....after having pursued traditional western medicine care for about 5 years or more....where not only did I not improve, but got worse, and acquired 3 boughts of tolerance dependency problems with RX meds along the way. I have been doing the vitamin/supplement routine as well as twice weekly acupuncture, acupressure massage, physical therapy, and chiropractor....including bio-cranial adjustments. The acupuncture has helped with the chronic fatigue, but less effective (so far) with pain. The combination of acupuncture and chiropractor the day after seems like it may be boosting the effectiveness but still too soon to know as I have only started that particular scheduling regimen 2 weeks ago trying to surpass the plateau I seem to have landed and been stuck on for the past month or so. I have posted further info on the acupuncture on a separate thread on this FM Board; interesting successful study by the Mayo Clinic on significant effectiveness of acupuncture with FM. Also check out the Malic Acid post; the stuff helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: So sensitive to meds--anybody with luck going holistic?

Hi Jam! Thank you so much--You sound like me actually in the past 15 years or more. You need a pill to take away the side effects of the pill you just took and now you need a pill for the 2nd pill. My stomach is really bothering me right now and after stopping the Topamax I took for about 10 days, now I'm debating if I should stop taking the Cymbalta I started about a week ago, too. I am so tired I can't get out of bed. I'll bet if I kept up with my nicotine and caffeine habit I could take all these meds. I quit everything and now I can't take anything!! I did, however just start on a multi-vitamin with calcium and magnesium and am going to the doctor this week to get to the root of my belly problem. Sick and tired of low serotonin when I wake up with heartburn all the time! Take care--Hopeto

Closed Thread