It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

byHizgrc HB User
Question Fatigue Medication

Anyone ever heard of a medication for fatigue? Someone mentioned a prescription to me a while back but cannot remember it. I do remember she said the docs rarely prescribe this & only temporarily. Do you know of this med or any others? I am at the end of my rope & DESPERATE to feel better!!

Thanks to all!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

Tara76 HB User
Re: Fatigue Medication

Fatigue medication = getting 7 to 9 hours of restful sleep. Not an easy task. Aside from nutrition and hormonal balance, there are many medications that can help with this. You have to find what will work for you with Doctors help. I am new here - 1st day. Didnt have the energy to get dressed today. I will call my doctor tomorrow on this. Check out both natural remedies like valerian, calcium-magnesium, melatonin as well as prescription meds like Ambien, Sonata, others. I have tried Trazadone and it worked well.

Last edited by Tara76; 06-11-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional remark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
(male)

gooby HB User

provigil (modafinal)

a psycho-stimulant with very few, if any side effects (at least none I have experienced)..

I have been taking it for several years and will continue taking it as long as it is effective.

I have not been dx's with fibromyalgia but have many of the symptoms that fibro patients list. Extreme fatigue is a biggy on my list of symptoms.

Provigil is one of the few things that have helped me stay awake throughout the day. It does not give me that "speed" feeling other meds have but simply makes me "awake"

Old 06-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
(female)

desperate1 HB User

I asked my doctor about Provigil but he elected to prescribe Adderall as he was more familiar with it. I start on it next week and hope it works.
As far as natural cures for fatigue I have had no luck, and by now I must have tried everything and spent thousands of dollars to no avail.
Also, sleep aids and Elavil did not work for me. Everyone is different. Unfortunately I think the only thing you can do is keep trying things until you find what works for you. good luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
(female)

byHizgrc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara76 View Post
Fatigue medication = getting 7 to 9 hours of restful sleep. Not an easy task. Aside from nutrition and hormonal balance, there are many medications that can help with this. You have to find what will work for you with Doctors help. I am new here - 1st day. Didnt have the energy to get dressed today. I will call my doctor tomorrow on this. Check out both natural remedies like valerian, calcium-magnesium, melatonin as well as prescription meds like Ambien, Sonata, others. I have tried Trazadone and it worked well.

Short reply... been there, done that.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
(male)

gooby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate1 View Post
I asked my doctor about Provigil but he elected to prescribe Adderall as he was more familiar with it. I start on it next week and hope it works.
!
been there, done that.....hated it.

adderall gave me what I call a full body buzz.

it felt like I was vibrating all the time. miserable, miserable feeling.

Provigil truly has no ill effects I can see. It gives me a very natural "awake" feeling. It does not act nor feel like "speed" the way adderall does.

If your doc does not want to prescribe it, I would suggest another.

The thing is, my PCP actually sent me to another doc because he did not know that much about it but still felt that was the best next step.

Closed Thread