It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

laura3377 HB User
Question Pain when breathing?

Does any one else here have upper body pain when they breathe? Specifically, in the upper back and chest. I have had soooo many tests (Pulmonary function, heart tests, CT scan of lungs, etc) and just can't figure out what is causing this. It doesn't seem to be Pleurisy but doesn't seem to go along with Costochondritis either - even though I do have Costo as well. This started about a year ago (I've had costo for about 3 years). It's almost like I have an infection or cold in my muscles. I know that makes no sense but that's how it feels. It's not exactly a sharp pain and not a totally dull pain. I have been told I have Fibro but still trying to rule out other things as well.

Has anyone heard of having a fungal infection in your muscles? Not sure if that's possible but trying to get any feedback possible on where to go from here and what to do. Doctors' have no clue what's going on.

Thanks!

Last edited by laura3377; 06-14-2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added information

Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

courtneyrae HB User
Re: Pain when breathing?

Hey. I am glad you posted about this. I do have problems with my chest hurting. I started asking around to people I know that have fibro and two of them said they experience similar problems. It has actually gotten so bad that I have ended up in the hospital because the pain kept me from breathing. Everyone in the ER thought I was crazy. lol. I dont know what it is and neither do any of my docs. My fibro Doc tells me that it is very possible that it is just the muscles in my chest acting up (the fibro). Anyways, I can't really give you an answer, but it seems (with me) that it is just the fibro. Good luck with it all and let me know if you find out anything new.
Courtney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

Glen27 HB User

Well I went to the chiropractor ...my last hope.After few tests ...I discover that I have scoliosis...the docotor think that can be one of the reasons for my pains...I have back problems and costochondritis.After 3 visits my chest pain is gone...now I have to fix my back problems before is too late.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
(female)

Last'sGal HB User

I've had this, if you're talking about a sharp stabbing pain when inhaling. Sometimes it's under my rib... what my mom used to call a "stitch in the side"... sometimes it's in the upper chest, below the collar bone and sometimes, yesterday, in fact, it was in the back of my shoulder; the trapezius muscle, I believe it's called. It happens to me 1-3 times per month and usually lasts an hour or two. Very irritating, but the doctors don't seem to be worried about it much.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
(female)

tweiler HB User

I get it as well and I can't find anything that triggers it. Sometimes it happens after I have been walking but sometimes I can be sitting down reading or similar and it happen. Dr isn't worried, even though I have mitral valve and tricuspid valve regurgitation, so hubby says to relax and not let it stress me.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

Glen27 HB User

Yeah relax don't let this stress you...it's easy to say...hard to do when you are in pain.

I was so depress because nothing worked for me...I had the pain this time for more than 6 weeks...I thought ,well maybe it's stress...I'll check it out with a chiropractor...at the end ...I have costochondritis and back problems...I started treatment the same day I got the results...my chest pain is already gone after 3 visits and I'm a little sore on my back but I'm feeling better.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
(female)

e1simple HB User

Ever since I was little, I have experienced this sharp pain once in a while when I take a deep breath. It just comes out of nowhere. I am breathing normal one minute and the next I get this "Bubble Pain" feeling like the deeper I breathe the bigger this bubble gets. Sometimes this little bubble will feel like it popped and then the pain goes away. However, two weeks ago I experienced something different. It was like my whole left side of my chest from below my ribs all the way up to my collar bone was affected. I usually have these little bubble things for just a minute or so, but this lasted ALL DAY. I had been sick for a couple of weeks with a bad cold and thought that maybe I had a reaction to the antibiotics I was taking for my ear infection. So I stopped taking the medicine and switched to another just incase that was causing it.

Does anyone else experience these "bubbles" or "air pockets" of pain?

I also have a hard time Yawning ever since I had a gastric lap-band put in 2 years ago. Don't know if from the surgery or if trouble yawning is something completely on its own. Please help.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I have pain in the rib cage/chest/lungs/upper back area just from expanding the diaphragm to breath. Even my lungs hurt when I inhale - like the air intake is irritating to them. These are things I experience all the time.

Once in awhile, though, I get that "air pocket" of sharp, stabbing pain when I take in a breath. It forces me to take only little, shallow breaths, because it's too sharp to allow me to inhale fully. I've gotten these little "stiches" since I was a child.

It helps to just relax and know it will go away as suddenly as it came on, and in its own good time.

Blessings!

Ora

Closed Thread