It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

Last'sGal HB User
Thumbs up New doc, new meds... Great news!!

Hi, all! I'd say I hope everyone's doing well, but boy, from the threads I'm reading this morning, it sure doesn't look like it. So, I'll say I hope everyone feels better soon!!

I ditched the Rheumy & Neurologist because they kept bouncing me back and forth. My regular doctor moved, so I went to my husband's and voila. He knows & "gets" fibro.

He put me on Cymbalta, which I'd read about, but my Rheumy had nixed saying it wasn't good for Fibro despite all I'd read to the contrary. He also gave me 10mg of percocet once a day to get me through the worst of the pain.

The first time I took the percocet, I got what my mother would term "tipsy." Oh, my! I don't drink anymore, so I hadn't felt that in a while... nor do I want to. Of course, it's not time released, so I hurt again in the afternoon; worse because I'd gotten too much pain relief at once, in my opinion. Now, I split the pill and take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. It's taking the worst of the pain/achiness away, so I can almost think straight. With four kids to keep up after, that's a Godsend.

So far on the Cymbalta (a week at 30mg, moving to 60mg next week) I've noticed that I'm waking up early in the morning (5:30-6:30am) without the alarm clock and I wake up feeling like I at least slept, if not completely refreshed. That hasn't happened in as long as I remember! On the Elavil, I wasn't waking up until 10-11am if I didn't set the alarm and had a really groggy "hangover" no matter what time I awoke. I'm thrilled with that change alone!

Has anyone been on Cymbalta long enough to tell if it's helping with the pain/achiness? I'm loving what changes I see and am praying fervently that there are more good things to come with this regimen!

Gina

Last edited by Last'sGal; 06-16-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
(male)

arubamark HB User
Re: New doc, new meds... Great news!!

I was in the research study for Cymbalta, and I've been taking 120mg for over a year, with about an 80% improvement of my FM.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
(female)

bekkee HB User

This sounds very interesting... do either of you know if the cymbalta interferes w/ any other meds? Did either of you have to stop taking any other meds when you started the cymbalta? I take 13 pills every night (plus probably an average of 3-5 during the day), one of my night meds (six of the pills) would be ditched if the cybalta worked, but the rest are for other issues- fibro related symptoms, migraines, choleterol, etc... Just curious if you knew. I don't get to see any of my docs for a while (insurance...)but when I do, I am going to bring this up!

Thanks for the idea!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
(female)

sunny47 HB User

Has the Cymbalta helped any of you with sleeping better - that is my main issue - not sleeping. You all said it is helping generallywhich is great, so am curious about the affect on improving sleep.

Great news from you Naplesnana2 - hope things continue to improve for you and you can get the process started to stop work.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

kwldb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
I was in the research study for Cymbalta, and I've been taking 120mg for over a year, with about an 80% improvement of my FM.
I am on Cymbalta 60 mg and I am suprised at the 120 mgs my doc told me 60mgs was the top and that I could not take any more. Wonder if size and because I am female? I will have to ask next time I go to the Doc.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
(female)

kwldb HB User

I have been on cymbalta for almost a year it started out working great had some cramping all through my body for the first 3 months but gradually got better. There was some reaction to what Rhumey was giving me. Ditched the Rhumey cause he said that what he was giving me would not do that. Talked to the Pharmacist and she said that cramping was one of the symptoms of bad reactions to his meds. I have been to so many Doc's I am sick from that. LOL I am now at a new doc and I am taking 50mgs of tramadol two in the morning one in the afternoon and two at night and it cuts alot of the pain on most days. I have also had to increase my Ambien to the CR 12mg time released. Not sleeping is the worst part and I don't sleep at all with out something. Been on a lot of things and Ambien is the only thing that helps.

Cymbalta has been better than anything I have been for the last 11 years.

Last edited by kwldb; 06-19-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

My sisterinlaw has had really good success with Cymbalta, but she is also on other pain meds and other anti-depressants too........so who knows. But, she was on all the other when her doc later added Cymbalta, and she said she noticed quite an improvement. I tried the Cymbalta and had a horrible reaction to it, but I think that is just me....the side effects I had are listed in the RARE effects of Cymbalta....just my luck. I am one of the ones that has to be very careful with new meds as I have so many adverse reactions to so many different things. I could never be on a fraction of things that my sisterinlaw is on, and yet it all works good for her......just different unique chemistries I guess.

Also, just a note on the Percocet.......be very careful. Percocet is Oxycontin with Acemetaphin....VERY addictive.....I would use it only when absolutely necessary. I know you feel great now while it is working, but repetitive regular use leads to tolerance dependency....when that happens, it no longer helps with the pain for which you were originally taking it.....and then you have a dependency issue that can risk addiction problems. Navigating any pain meds is a slippery slope......sorry, just trying to help others avoid where I have been.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
(female)

merphi1024 HB User

Is anyone having any side effects from Cymbalta?? Doc put me on Lexapro, but I don't like the spacey feeling and the mood flattening. I wasn't depressed and it feels like I don't experience joy anymore on Lexapro.

Closed Thread