It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

pallas HB User
Flabby thighs

Hi all, I'm 51 years old, was diagnosed with FMS/CFS many years ago. My thighs are very flabby with a painful swollen knee and ankle (one leg.) I'm told the knee swelling is an effusion. Was wondering if anyone who has been diagnosed with FMS/CFS also experiences very flabby thighs. I used to practice yoga but have not been able to since the knee flare. Is there anyone out there with these symtoms?? Thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: Flabby thighs

Hi Pallas:

I'm not sure if flabby thighs are a typical symptom of FMS. Personally, I do not have extremely flabby thighs; on the other hand, my thighs are not trim (at 58 years old, I would not expect 'trim'). The knee flare sounds like a common symptom though. Ouch! I feel for you. Have you tried gentle water aerobics so you aren't putting pressure on your knee, yet getting a really good workout?

Blessings,
Kirstee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

pallas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Hi Pallas:

The knee flare sounds like a common symptom though. Ouch! I feel for you. Have you tried gentle water aerobics so you aren't putting pressure on your knee, yet getting a really good workout?

Blessings,
Kirstee

Hi Kirstee, thanks for responding. I did not know the knee flare was common in FMS (both knees). One knee is painful, swollen and warm to the touch. I cannot bend knee forward to the ground so exercising is out. Ouch is right! Water aerobics? Have not tried that. What is it and how would I go about getting it? TIA

Old 06-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Your local recreation department, YMCA, or public swim pool may offer water aerobics. Some of these departments may also offer a "twinges in the hinges" sort of class for people who have arthiritis or other limitations which require a more scaled down approach to excercise. You will need to check around.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
(female)

skyjumper50 HB User

Hi Pallas

At 57, I would expect to be a little flabby here and there, however my thighs have gotten unusually flabby over the past couple years, no matter what level of exercise I can do. To the point where the skin and muscle seem to just hang off the bone. So when I saw your subject line, I had to share my experience. It's hard to believe that Fibro could have anything to do with it but I guess it's possible.

Closed Thread