It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Help does this sound like Fibro

I originally posted this on the exercise board, bu thought you guys migh be able to give me more insite.

Hi, I have been having pain on the posterio side of my thigh and back of knee.
I am 49 runner, run 6miles/day. Not over weight, some people think I am underweight. Anyhow my real problem is my right leg is atrophing. I thought that on happen when you dont' do anything.. I am still running. I measures my legs.. The letft leg is about 1/2 inches larger than my right. I am right dominate. I use both legs to run and with the same amount of pressure. Running and walking does not cause any pain. Sitting especially a hard seat will and if I am on th seat too long.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be> Hamsting pull was ruled out.
But this right leg getting small is of great concern..
I do go to a therapist for my shoulder. I was dx with myofascial pain snydrome of the shoulder.
Is mypfascial pain syndrome associated with FM.
All my pain is on my right side, arm, shoulder, thigh, back of knee.
I still run, but it is getting harder everyday. How much time was it before you all have to stop you nomal activites or doing exercises? Running helps me to keep everything moving.

So here is the short medicl list:
Right posterior thigh pain( esp while sitting and bending)
Right should pain, causing numbness to hand
Mild rt hand CTS
Atrophy of right leg. Right leg is 1/2 inches small in circumference.
Brain Fog
Myofascial pain syndrome of the right shoulder
c6 nerve impingment

Have been going to therapy for several weeks, I an say that I am in more pain, I thought after a few treatments, things would be better with at least my neck and shoulder.

So does these syptomes really sound like FM? HELP

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Help does this sound like Fibro

Hi MB,

I'm 47. We have a lot in common. I am no expert, but will share my experience in the hopes that it will help you.

My right leg is shorter. I wear a heal lift. It has take 2 years to get my body to straighten out. (Your 1/2 inch is a lot)Presently, my left shoulder is more forward than my right. I don't know if the cmp developed because of one leg being shorter, but that is the first thing i had treated and it helped tremendously with the buttock pain. I am also building ab muscles with gentle exercises somewhat like keagles (no situps, etc.) This is to develop core strength so I will use lower trunk muscles instead of overusing my glutes. I can only sit for short periods on my sofa and bed and cannot tolerate a hard chair or especially a task chair (like a computer desk chair)

I have an old c6 injury that i didn't know about until 2 years ago. Alot of people with fms have a history of whiplash or other spinal injury, but especially whiplash.

I am treated by a pain managment doctor and the physical therapists at her office. The doctor xrayed my legs to determine length and then gave me a shoe lift. I was amazed at the difference. My pelvic bones now match up but it has taken a lot of myofascial release with trigger point injections and massage. Having one leg shorter throws your entire muscular/skeletol system off. The muscle knots around the spine and joints make it harder to treat.

I also used to run but quit about 10 years ago. My right foot would get tingly and then leg. It turned out i had something wrong with my t spine, but i can't remember what. The syptoms also appeared when i tried using an eliptical. My fms/cmp started at a time that i was underweight (people were telling me I was too thin), dieting and over-exercising. And it hit like a ton of bricks. The cmp was in my back and buttocks but eventually spread through out my body in connecting chains. The fms symptoms were flu-like and deep muscle pain, fatigue, and fog (I thought is was A.D.D.) I still have flares but nothing like in the beginning.

My humble advice:
Stop running
Stop aerobics and weight lifting
see a pain management doctor that treats one leg shorter and cmp and get a lift and therapy. Myofascial release alone won't fix it and neither will just putting a lift in your shoe.
Be patient.
Get the book "Fibromyagia and Chronic Myofascial Pain, a survival manual" by Devin Starlanyl. This book is like a bible to me.
If you think you are overexercising to be thin, this is a form of purging and is an eating disorder. I attend OA and have a sponsor.

It IS possible to have cmp w/o fms and vice/versa.

Hope that you feel better soon. Keep posting.

Donna

Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

Thanks Donna for posting. My right leg issue is atrophy not length. Measuring around the leg at various points and it is 1/2 inch smaller than the left. I am right handed, my right side, ie leg and arm has always been larger.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Alot of people, including myself, are diagnosed with fibromyalgia after first ruling out MS with an MRI of the brain. My neurologist ordered mine for me. Have you seen a neurologist about your symptoms? That might be a good place to start if you haven't. Good luck. I really hope that you're feeling better soon.

Closed Thread