It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

CW66 HB User
Question New here with questions.

Hi, let me introduce myself. I am 41 (next month), married for almost 21 years to the most patient man in the world and have 3 great kids, ages 13, 15, and 17. I have recently resigned from my job due to stress related health problems but am looking for a less stressful job.

The reader's digest version of my recent health issues is this:

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in January and was also suffering from mild depression and anxiety.

After talking with my doctor again this week, he finally decided that I didn't have OA and diagnosed FM. (Not surprised, I've suspected it for a while, my mother is nearly bed bound with it.)

He gave me a prescription for Lyrica and I am terrified to take it. All I read on the internet is about gaining weight, brain fog, and swelling. I don't need any of that! Over the last year I have gained 30 pounds due to medications. I am trying so hard to lose it (difficult with constant pain) and cannot gain anymore.

Has anyone had good experience with Lyrica? Also, I recently came off of antidepressants and am now thinking I need to go back on. Which ones work best with FM?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
~CW

Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
(female)

cantell HB User
Re: New here with questions.

Hello CW and welcome to the fibro board!
there are alot of nice folks on this board with lots of experience with this DD.

I dont take Lyrica but, I am sure it will get added to the list sooner or later! LOl
so I cant help you there... but I am sure someone will come along who might be able to help you out. (Bump! bump! to the top).

I am however very aware of some med's makeing you gain weight or the fibro ..humm its like what came first the chicken or the egg?? needless to say it is very hard to loose this weight once it is put on. I am in that boat..mine is around the middle..and for the life of me can not do sit ups have a bad back too. I have purchase a new weight,(to keep up with added weight! not the lost weight)

A pair of 5 lbs ankle weights, and a thingy to wrap around your waist...have not had the energy to stick to it tho. so they are catching dust that is piling up as I type. besides its almost nap time again!

As for antidepresants I have a basket full.
My doc has a triger finger on her wrighting hand as soon as she sees me coming she has her pen and pad out wrighting already new precription's for me.
when I tell her the med's she has given me to take are not working or giving me side effects she ups the dose and precribes me a slew of new meds to take.arrrrggggg = more side effects!! (to make matters worse we have a languge barrier) going to the doc puts me in bed the rest of the day..very stressful ordeal.

so, right now I am taking Flexeril 10mg if I am hurting in my shoulders, neck,
muscles etc...
really bad I take once in morning and once at night at bedtime. it does not stop the pain but, it makes it at least doable.

Propranolol 40 MG for BP and anxiety..this one for me makes me calm down..ie, less stressed out still stressed but not jumping out of skin stressed out feeling. I know it is helping with the BP because for some reason I can tell when it gets "up there" and with this med I can take it once a day at bedtime and usually do ok all the next day as long as I dont get upset.

then there is Trazodone 50 mg I take one at bedtime to help me get that restfull sleep..is it stage 3 or 4? anyway, these three meds once a day keep me somewhat sane and functional around the house..I can not promise anything out in public!

so, med's do for one person they might not do for another person. it is a trial and error thingy until you find what works for you. hang in there and hope to see more post by you..good luck ~take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

sunny47 HB User

Know what you mean by having side effects from the meds. I have been very sensitive all my life to medications and is worse now then ever. Yesterday my pcp wrote rx for Clonezepam - hoping to help RLS and sleeping problem (lack of) with one pill. I can tolerate Lorazepam so he is hopeful this will be OK since in same family. he cautioned me not to take it ever night to avoid addiction / dependence etc.

Take care.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Welcome to the board, I know someone will be along with lots of great advice on lyrica.

Glojer

Closed Thread