It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

cnisbelieven HB User
Declined Long Term Disability even tho you have been terminated due to Fibro/Chronic

I am just wondering how many of us have been denied Long Term Disabilty from the insurance company that our employers have. I have been denied for the 2nd time, even though my employer, a local government office found just cause to terminate me due to the Fibro, Chronic Fatigue, as well as Daily Chronic Headaches w/migraines-most of which is stress related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Declined Long Term Disability even tho you have been terminated due to Fibro/Chro

I was. It was Unum. They rarely cover fibro. They told me it was pre-existing because i had been seeing a psychiatrist before i was covered. They have been sued so many times over this. And it is just a shame to buy that kind of insurance and then it not cover. What a scam.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
(male)

ddgryphon HB User
Re: Declined Long Term Disability even tho you have been terminated due to Fibro/Chro

Put me in the category of screwed by LTD insurance. The only way I got anything was by giving them a "back-to-work" date and asking they cover this final period as I expected to return to work. Unfortunately, I was terminated when my FMLA ran out and my doctor's return to work date was still three weeks away.

Yes, they can order you back to work against your doctor's orders, and fire you if you don't comply.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

tbmbjm HB User

Unum just stopped my long term diasability last week,although my doctor has not said I'm able to return to work. I have not seen their doctors,but they said their on site physician and medical director determined I was able to return to work! I have already contacted an attorney. It will be a huge cut in our finances. I have been turned down by S.S. 2 times and am awaiting a hearing-which will probably be another year yet. I am one who wishes our goverment would step in as it seems these insurance companies can do what they want! Now, my doctor,whom I have had for years,is acting like he doesn't want to mess with the insurance company! What's that about? Just that it takes their time to do so? I have been so depressed and upset. The pain management doc refused to get involved with the disability at all. How can they treat you,but refuse to give any opinion???? I won't go back to him.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmbjm View Post
Unum just stopped my long term diasability last week,although my doctor has not said I'm able to return to work. I have not seen their doctors,but they said their on site physician and medical director determined I was able to return to work! I have already contacted an attorney. It will be a huge cut in our finances. I have been turned down by S.S. 2 times and am awaiting a hearing-which will probably be another year yet. I am one who wishes our goverment would step in as it seems these insurance companies can do what they want! Now, my doctor,whom I have had for years,is acting like he doesn't want to mess with the insurance company! What's that about? Just that it takes their time to do so? I have been so depressed and upset. The pain management doc refused to get involved with the disability at all. How can they treat you,but refuse to give any opinion???? I won't go back to him.
I have had docs pull back some. My primary did after I wanted him to fill out forms for unum and for ssdi. at some point he just saw me as a problem. he is n't rude or anything, you can just see it in his eyes. My rheumy is wonderful though and even wrote in big letters in my chart DISABLED. He filled out the ssdi forms, it was after the unum denial. He also filled out the forms I copied from the back of "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain, A Survival Manual" by Devin Starlanyl. And he filled them out while i was there! (He also returns his own calls usually in just a few hours!) Now my pain management doc, on the other hand, sees so many people that are so much worse off than me, she has always said i was ready to back to work.

Keep looking for a doc, but don't start right off with the disability situation, but ease into it and don't be emotional. It may turn them off. well, it's true, i am just being honest. (I worked for docs for over 15 years) Maybe a rheumy would be better for you instead of a primary because they see more fibro patients.

I'm really sorry that you are having to go through this. I would definitely fight unum and for the ssdi. Eventually you will be approved for the ssdi and get back pay. I know that doesn't help with your finances right now though. We had to scrape by for 6 months, but we made it. Our rent is only 400 a month though so that helped. It's scarey, I know. But what helped me was to do what i could, take the action i could take and then let it go just one day at a time. Before i learned that I about drove myself crazy while i was waiting for the ssdi to go through. I was trying to control a situation i had no control over. I threw myself into flares due to the stress. Anyway that is how i learned to deal with it.

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

sharon309 HB User
Exclamation Re: Declined Long Term Disability even tho you have been terminated due to Fibro/Chro

You have a better chance of getting your disability if you see a shrink they can get it for you,I have been on disability since 1991,fibro,panic disorder,depression.
I was never turned down,you just have to know how to fill out the papers write what you feel,don't hide any of your emotions let them know it.I wrote a letter with my paper work telling them everything.
These illnesses work together.
Hurting more and more I have decided I will never know a day without bad pain and I am on percocet.
Wishing you luck

Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon309 View Post
You have a better chance of getting your disability if you see a shrink they can get it for you,I have been on disability since 1991,fibro,panic disorder,depression.
I was never turned down,you just have to know how to fill out the papers write what you feel,don't hide any of your emotions let them know it.I wrote a letter with my paper work telling them everything.
These illnesses work together.
Hurting more and more I have decided I will never know a day without bad pain and I am on percocet.
Wishing you luck
I think the reason i was approved for ssdi in only 6 months was because i had 8 years of psych notes, even though my main problems were fms and cmp. On the other hand, the first time and only time i spoke with a rep from unum she said the fms was pre-existing because i had seen a psychiatrist within the last 6 months. Just an FYI.

Closed Thread