It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

thenewfmgirl HB User
Well, now, I just don't know...

Thanks for all your replies about my chest pain symptoms. Now, this week, I've been dealing with a horse of a different color. I started having rapid heartbeat and chest tightness, which isn't a pain, but like the muscles in my upper chest and back are tightening up, so it's hard to draw in a good breath.

I've been to the ER, through an EKG, a Chest XRay, bloodwork, and a 24 hour holter monitor this week, awaiting results still.

My counselor thinks it might have partially been triggered by a bad med combo, which is reasonable, but she also thinks a lot of it is fibro and anxiety making it worse.

Does that even sound logical?

L.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

opehelia2010 HB User
Re: Well, now, I just don't know...

For sure anxiety, stress etc. increase Fibro symptoms. It's hard to explain to people that don't have it. I just love it when people say" Wow, you look great!" I want to give them the opportunity to live in my body for a week!! How about you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi There, Anxiety can show itself in many ways. When you are dealing with a new symptom of this great illness worrying and wondering can cause a lot of anxiety. Anxiety...chest pain, palipitations (sp), diarhea (sp), tingling numbness of fingers, twitches, sweating, blurred vision, hyperatctivity...I can go on and on. I have had anxiety all of my life. It took a long time to realize that the other symptoms I was experiencing was Fibro. So yes it is very logical.
Low pain all,
Cat

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

The following user gives a hug of support to catkaru:
opehelia2010 (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Oh yes, anxiety is horrible, and it just feeds off of itself and causes the body to go into all kinds of scary modes. I have had to deal with anxiety a lot in my adult life. Been through all the heart tests, holter monitor etc. Palpitations until I thought I was going to go insane. Worrying about anxiety just causes more anxiety. And it for sure makes fibro worse. Everything tightens up and starts to hurt. I have learned over the years to just sit or lay down and relax every part of my body bit by bit. Envision yourself melting into a puddle. Also you have to change your mindset a bit. I realized a long time ago to stop sweating the small stuff. Heck, I even stopped sweating the big stuff. lol..
And also, a medication or combination of such can cause the same symptoms. I have had it happen with Savella and tramodol. Good luck honey..
peace and love
Sandra

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Anxiety has plagued me for years, too. Definitely makes the fibro worse!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Heart and chest tightness is scary when you consider the possibilities. Fibro is thought to be an autonomic nervous system disorder. Getting the sympathetic and parasympathetic portions out of balance can make it much worse and can present with anxiety- like symptoms.

After ruling out any other medical cause (hormonal- such as thyroid, estrogen/ progesterone imbalance, heart problems) you can help your ANS to get in better balance with finding some kind of stress reduction. Whatever works for you- a stress reduction class using meditation, prayer, relaxation, bubble baths, anything that quiets your mind and stops your body from going into the fight or flight mode and shooting out all those nasty stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. That's what gets your heart pounding, etc.

The fight/ flight thing is supposed to help us when we are running from our enemies. But, the way society is these days, we are constantly bombarded with stressors, everything from terrorists to telemarketers. We see mayhem on the news, in movies, and we just aren't real mothers if we don't multi-task. But, that all makes things worse for us- and I definitely know that stress is a trigger for me.

I have hot flashes, sweats, and heart palpitations nearly on a daily basis. Sometimes some of the SSRI's can be responsible, but I had these before I started Zoloft. I also had them with a real bad flare years ago. I forgot about that, but just recently I found and read my old LT disability paperwork describing my symptoms. That was 10 years ago and is still true today.

Hope you find the cause soon.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

For me the palpitations I get with the tingling and sweats are menopause related(I am 50) not sure if that is everyones dilemma. lol..But I know it is mine. Luckily I don't get the palpitations often, but the hot flashes and sweats are a constant pain in my butt..lolol

Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
(female)

opehelia2010 HB User

I have been through those hot flashes and really can sympathize witth you! I found that taking a combination of Evening Primrose and Soy helps. It takes a while for that to work, but it did for me. I couldn't take hormone replacement meds. because I had a bad pap and ended up with a hysterectomy. Bet wishes!! "Hot flashes are your internal child playing with matches." Opehelia

Closed Thread