It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

Piano-Girl HB User
How often do you have to take a narcotic pain killer ?

Hello all,
Just wondering how often you all have to take a narcotic pain killer. I do well with Flexeril but every now and then the pain is too much. The NSAIDS ( Mobic) KILL my stomach. I can take maybe 2 days of them and then it feels like an ulcer. I have been having to take Vicodin like 3 times a month. Just wondering how often others are having to take something stronger. Oh, it has rained every afternoon here for about 6 days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: How often do you have to take a narcotic pain killer ?

My personal reply is, never. This despite having had fibro severe enough to require using a walker to get around.

The longer people take narcotics, the more frequently they need to take them. Tolerance is a side effect of narcotic usage, and that is a fact of physiology. Anyone who takes narcotics thinking tolerance won't happen to them is in denial.

Sorry to say that. Please understand I respect that fact that you may have severe pain. However ... if NSAIDs worked for your pain, that says something. I hear you about the gut rot, I have a similar problem.

Have you spoken to your doc about a topical NSAID? These are typically a pharmaceutical custom compound. Highly effective at much lower dosages. And because they are applied to directly to the spots that hurt, they typically do not upset the gut at all.

If you attend fibro support groups, read widely on the net ... it's not uncommon for fibro & chronic pain sufferers who start on narcotics, to eventually end up on methadone. Not to say that methadone is evil, or that narcotics are evil, they do have their place.

Has your doc given you any other alternatives to NSAIDS/flexeril/vicodin? If not, please consider that there are MANY folks w/fibro out there who are motoring on with either other RXs or different strategies. Learn all you can.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

Piano-Girl HB User

Okay how shall I put this....um... here goes.
Thanks for the reply and the info.
I think you missed the part where I said that Flexeril helps me..alot!
Obviously I am concerned about taking a narcotic or I wouldn't have asked the question.

throwing my hands in the air... uh,

Last edited by Piano-Girl; 07-03-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
(female)

DemonFairy HB UserDemonFairy HB User

I take OxyContin or the equivalent (I'm trying to find the right combo for me - Methadone was great!!! but had a side effect that made me have to quit taking it and I'm now trying MS Contin) three times a day. I'm not going to worry about tolerance when I'm finding that pain meds help me feel almost normal. I'm not going to suffer, just in case, down the road, my pain meds stop working. I'm going to take them so I can work and have some enjoyment in my life. If it takes narcotics, then it takes narcotics.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DemonFairy For This Useful Post:
angelblueyes (03-26-2012), annie193 (03-31-2012), pervinich (06-20-2012), Poookie (09-21-2012)
Old 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Everyone has their own personal opinions. I for one when needed take pain pills. Its great that some can get thru it without, but many of us cannot get through the day without any.

Everyone has the right to do what works for them. I don't feel that anyone should be judged on here.

To answer your question I take one when NEEDED, not every day....but I'm glad I have them.

Hope

The following user gives a hug of support to Hope4All:
motherofyaar (03-12-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hope4All For This Useful Post:
annie193 (03-31-2012), MissyMousey (09-21-2012)
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

I started taking Gabapentin at bedtime about 2 months ago for nerve pain. I could feel the effects within a week!
I don't need to take pain meds very often anymore. I do still have a great deal of pain, but the random excruciating pains are so much less!
Ask your doc if it might help you.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

Piano-Girl HB User

Thank you kindly for your responses!
I agree Hope4all, judgement is not needed.... the FM is bad enough!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
cOMMENTING ON FIBRO PAIN AND NARCOTICS.....

Hi everyone. I am a 46 yr. female with fibro and severe lower back pain. Just read all of your posts. My opinion, I stopped seeing my rhumetologist a year ago because he wasen't prescribing narcotics for pain. The way I look at it, is fibro ever gonna go away???? No! We all know that we get real bad fibro flares when weather is bad or whatever. I myself cannot take any nsaids at all, they kill my intestinal track. Just about all fibro people have irritable bowl. Narcotics take care of all those symptoms it's like not having IBD. Thank God for my pain management doctor who is taking care of back pain with percocet. I will be seeing her on the 17th of this month as I tried all injections, nothing is working, and long term pain meds, like maybe the duragesic patch or oxycotin. I would love to take something once a day and last for a while. Killing 2 birds with one stone. If you are in pain for the rest of your life, why even go there, Thanks Tammy

The following user gives a hug of support to germanshepherd:
XxVelvetRose7 (04-25-2011)
Old 07-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
(female)

tweiler HB User

my rheumy goves me 30 Lortab 5 per month so I only take them when it's bad. On a good day I can stand the pain but on a bad day I may use 3 or 4. I agree w/ previous poster that this will never go away so why should we suffer in pain. I have tried everything OTC I can find, even topical creams w/ numbing agent to see if it helped. The creams w/ capsazin help but I can't use them because I am allergic to peppers. The pain dr insisted I try it even w/ my allergy and I ended up w/ my back looking like it had a severe sunburn in Jan. I could not stand to wear a shirt on my back for days and sleeping was impossible.

The Following User Says Thank You to tweiler For This Useful Post:
biogirl71 (12-20-2010)
Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
(female)

KAPPY123 HB User

Hi, Im New To This Board Thing.. I Have Fibromyalgia X About 18 Years Now Work 40 Hours A Week..when I Get Home The Narco Is My Releif So My Body Can Rest. Plus I Take 1500mg To 2000mg Of Neurontin, And 5 Prozac Wich Help With The Fatigue..

Old 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
(female)

KAPPY123 HB User

Yes, Gabapentine That Is The Neurontin Im Taking It Dose Help!!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
(female)

jingwa86 HB User

Hello! I am 53, had Fibro for years, with IBS, RLS, TMJ, Rhumatoid Arthritis.
I take Narco, 10mg of hydrocodone, and 325mg of tylenol, 4-6 times a day for pain. Then I have percodan for breakthrough pain. Sometimes, nothing helps. I had a hysterectomy last August, and you know, the push button, self medicating drip helped alot, but even that didn't take care of it all.

This is such a bad Disease/Disorder that moves, and affects so much of your body and life. I fear for us all. Hopefully in years to come, they come up with a med that might help more. Until then, I can't live without the meds I receive now, and thank God for them.

Good Luck!!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
(female)

mista0316 HB User

Hi,

I take 9mg of hydromorphcontin twice a day, I also have diludid as interdoses. I take 3 of those a day every 4 hours if I need too. Some days are better than others. If I don't get enough sleep I tend to need more cause the pain is too intense for me to stand.

take care,
M

Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hello! i take percosette, valium and flexerill as needed.
not sure what mobic is....does it or vicodin have aspirin in them? any aspirin products will tear up your stomach, as will flexerill.ayre you taking the flexerill daily? if so, you might want to cut down on that.
also, i have been on many pain killers over 30 yrs now, and any of them taken daily really messed with my stomach...i don't know of any that don't, except tylenol and to me that is like nothing for bad pain.
also, going to a gastreoligist would be a good idea so he could ck your stomach.

hope this helped some, i know how bad stomachs' can be...i had major hiatal hernia surgerie 2 yrs ago...after having a hiatal hernia since 1973.

take care, hope you'll be feeling better...bevann

Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Those of you who can get through the pain without narcotics are lucky. I wish I could...maybe I could if I didn't work 45 hour work weeks

I have fibro, possibly lupus, peripheral neuropathy, and something...connective tissue diease (why keep track of all of the names lol)

I take lexapro 20mg (keeps me positive most of the time), trazodone for sleep, plaquinil for inflammation and I just recently started flexiril which is a Godsend for my back. It helps my back and jaw pain SO much.

I also take Darvocet for pain. I've tried advil, tylenol arthritis, mobic, exedrine arthritis, creams, and tons of other things and they don't work well. When I'm at work and I need to do my job, then the pain needs to go away fast. I don't feel guilty for taking pain meds. I know it's not for everyone, but emotionally, mentally, and I believe, physically I am better off taking the meds. I know my body is a lot more stressed out when I'm in pain and not taking medicine. Some days I don't need Darvocet and then some days I take four and it barely takes the edge off.

I will be trying to get pregnant next April when I get married, and I don't know what I'm going to do when I can't take the pain pills.

Closed Thread