It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

robeano HB User
steroid injections

I am getting ready to have steroid injections into my back to help me walk. I am nervous.I have also been taught that no more than 3 should be done because of scar tissue build up and that after time, they quit working. Could someone please tell me their experience with these injections? Nothing is as good as first hand experience.thank you

Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

Sharxnut707 HB User
Re: steroid injections

I have had a few steroid injections. They are not too bad, mine are in my neck, so I was scared more than anything. After 3, my doc and I discussed putting the steroid in the ficet... that was a little better. We did 2 of those. The nerve ablation was next and that scared the heck out of me, but it worked a little better. I wish you the best of luck, no matter what you do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
(female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

Hello. I am new to this board. I usually am on the arthritis/back pain support board here on *****. I do not want to take you away from your board, but these are talked about a lot over there. I have had them and unfortunately they didn't help me...wish they had.

You are correct that only 3 a year is allowed. ANY steriod is bad for your bones too. They cause bone loss, which can lead to Osteoporosis. This is mostly a female disease, but men can get it too. It is true the injections can wear off. I want to add to that though. Some people have had as long as a years relief, while others maybe only a couple months. I may or may not come back to this board, so if you need to ask any other questions about your back, post to me on the back pain support board. It is listed under Arthritis, I think. I sure do wish you good results. They are not bad at all, and they will want you to have a driver with you.

Please make sure the Dr. is using Flouroscopy when he gives you the injections. If he isn't using it, then don't get them. This is like an xray machine they use to be able to guide them as to where they are placing the needle and the meds they inject you with. Company just dropped in so I will talk to ya later. Brenda

Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
(female)

cajunv HB User

hi,i too am new,i had the shots befor i had back surgery last year ,i found them to be no real big deal,done very nicely by my pain managment dr,who is an anasthisiologist,at a surgical center.
you lay still while they place the injection where it needs to go,it was done done in a or like room,and i went home 30 min after,i had a course of 3 shots done befor the sugery, and glad i did really helped with the pain,you will need someone to drive you home after for you get a little "happy medicine",to help with the fear and all.but all in all it wasn't all bad.hope this helps

Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Robeano:

So nice to meet you and welcome. My experience with steroid injections is they can cause troubles. My pain clinic physician was giving me steroid injections, along with botox. After awhile, the steroid started causing severe flushing and redness in my face several hours after treatment. I can only imagine what other problems it may have caused. A few injections to calm inflammation might be in order, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't go any further than that. In fact, I believe the botox injections were more helpful than the steriod injections since this stuff causes affected muscles to relax for a period of time which really helped me. Did your physician ever mention the possibility of botox injections to you?

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

robeano HB User

i have an hmo, so i doubt the botox would be covered. I have never heard of botox for this before. how long does the botox work?is doe the same way. how often do u have to do it? will it take the wrinkles out of my back?? JK. LOL!!! hey, if we can't laught at ourselves, and laugh at least once a day, it would be even more difficult. thanks again. hugs
Robyn

Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

hi robeano....in '99 I had 3 injections in my back and then 6 months later one more. It did the trick. Took 18 months for the disks to heal but even after 2 more back injuries I have very little pain. In the past year I have had 10 injections in different body parts. 4 in my shoulder, 2 in my trap muscles, 2 in my foot, one in my left wrist and one in a nodule on my finger. Being a diabetic this is scary but so far my glucose only goes up for 24 hours. i am diet controlled so really am not happy knowing this could cause me to go on meds. I have never had a bad reaction to any of them.I've been very lucky. Had one years ago in my acroid joint that set the pain flying for weeks. Steroids aren't good for us, they cause multile physical problems but I hear people say all the time that they have taken oral ones for years with no problems. Just goes to show we are all different.

ICC

Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
(female)

robeano HB User

i have been taking oral prednisone for years about 2-3x a year. my pcp does not want to keep putting me on them so she suggested the injections. I am very wary of them. I have heard horror stories and heard that u should never get more than 3 in your lifetime, in the same area, and i know its gonna have to be more than 3. i live constantly at a 7-8 level pain level. i am so thankful for this board. this is wonderful. everyone has been so helpful. i hope to help others on here as well. thank you.
R

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Wishing you well.....I had alot of luck withthem in the lumbar spine. Hope you have the same results.

ICC

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
(female)

Rascal12 HB User

I have had trigger point injections for my fibro. with no problems. They contain several meds including a very small amount of steroids. I feel they are the only treatment that can give me some pain relief. Yes - I am aware of the bone problems, etc. they could cause but they must be safer than long term oral steroids. No need for a flouroscope, etc. for TPI's - at least not that I've ever heard of. I am glad my Dr. did not believe in the 3 inj. only theory as it often takes longer to really knock it into remission.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
(female)

tweiler HB User

Before my fibro was dxed, I was going to a pain clinic and they wanted to try steroid injections in my lower back/hip area for my pain. They did a quick acting one in 1 hip and a long acting one on the other hip and I took a taxi home. Within 30 mins my pain was worse than it had ever been and I was in agony for almost a week before the pain started decreasing. My hubby actually had to take me to my PCP and beg them to give me something for pain. I hurt so bad I couldn't even get out of bed by myself and ended up sleeping in our recliner.

The pain clinic tried to say it wasn't the injections that caused the pain to increase and wanted to do another set but hubby told them if they did he'd file a complaint with the medical board becuase he called them when I got home and told them how much pain I was in. And I had walked 1 mile from the bus line to get to the pain clinic. My PCP has put into my files that no steroid injections are to be done because of "adverse reactions".

Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
(female)

robeano HB User

rascal,
thanks for your reply. it sounds postive. some of the responses on her are scarying me more. i don't know what to do, esp since i just got the results of my latest MRI and i have yet another disc bulge at l4-5.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
(female)

tweiler HB User

My PCP & rheumy belive my reactions were a genetic predisposition. My mom and her family do not tolerate steroids very well. Some people will be able to tolerate them fine and other people won't. Not only did I have the increased pain but I developed a rash and itched all over for days. So the rheumy says basically I am allergic to that class of steroids due to the rash/itching. He also said the pain increase is not uncommon for people w/fibro when they experience other discomfort, such as the itching. He said it's kinda like overloading a circuit, it threw my pain sensors into full gear. So he has it in my records not to get the steroids. However, I can use topical cortisone, I have developed dry scaly patches from the fibro but the OTC 1/2% tube is all I use.

Closed Thread