It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Unhappy Fibro and joint surgery

I had shoulder surgery 10 weeks ago and am having a horrible time. The shoulder seems to be fine but every muscle in my upper body on that side feel as if they are torn to shreds. This is making it very diffficult to go through PT and they are stretching all muscles beyond capacity. As the PT is manipulating my arm I am screaming and in tears. Do you think this is a result of having fibro? I am at my wits end. If i stretch them lightly and stop at the point of pain I seem to be fine BUT cannot take the aggressiveness of the PT>

ICC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

robeano HB User
Re: Fibro and joint surgery

sorry you are having such a horrble time. wish i could take some of your pain away! of course the FM is going to make the pain worse, but you also probably have frozen shoulder. that happens when you don't use the shoulder for a period of time. it hurts so bad that you can't even breathe. believe it or not, the more you work through it, the better it will be. it needs to be moved gently and carefully. make sure the surgery went okay before you cont, and that the surgery went well and that you are healing correctly. that should be your 1st step. just double check to see how your shoulder is healing. if it healing normally, then it is most likely frozen shoulder. also, remember, pain is also a signal to stop. if you can only move it so far before the severe pain starts then stop and go even slower. hope this makes sense. also, when we are in surgery, the dr's put us in weird postions on the table and that can cause us probs as well. after my 1st cervical fusion my left shoulder was so painful i couldn't move it, then that caused frozen shoulder. come to find out, they had placed a towel under my left scapula during the 8 hr surgery and that is where my pain came from. in fact 5 yrs later, it still hurts and probably always will!!! darned, if you do, darned if you don't. good luck to you, and check with your surgeon. the pain won't go away over night, but it should be healing. hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

robeano HB User

sorry you are having such a horrble time. wish i could take some of your pain away! of course the FM is going to make the pain worse, but you also probably have frozen shoulder. that happens when you don't use the shoulder for a period of time. it hurts so bad that you can't even breathe. believe it or not, the more you work through it, the better it will be. it needs to be moved gently and carefully. make sure the surgery went okay before you cont, and that the surgery went well and that you are healing correctly. that should be your 1st step. just double check to see how your shoulder is healing. if it healing normally, then it is most likely frozen shoulder. also, remember, pain is also a signal to stop. if you can only move it so far before the severe pain starts then stop and go even slower. hope this makes sense. also, when we are in surgery, the dr's put us in weird postions on the table and that can cause us probs as well. after my 1st cervical fusion my left shoulder was so painful i couldn't move it, then that caused frozen shoulder. come to find out, they had placed a towel under my left scapula during the 8 hr surgery and that is where my pain came from. in fact 5 yrs later, it still hurts and probably always will!!! darned, if you do, darned if you don't. good luck to you, and check with your surgeon. the pain won't go away over night, but it should be healing. hugs

Old 07-11-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Morning Robeano.....Thanks. You are right on target. The surgeon dx me with frozen shoulder last tuesday. 10 weeks post-op. Gave me two steroid injections and that has helped. Told me to rest and ice for 2 days and start moving it again. My probelm is PT. I started moving the shoulde rthe day after surgery. At 4 weeks had great ROM, the surgeon was thrilled that it was moving smoothly. Then I go to PT and have them beating my arm to the point of tears. One of them stretched so hard that my pec muscle and right above my collar bone blew up right in front of her. Your'e right. Frozen shoulder is one of the most painful thigs I have ever experienced. After she yanked me I continued in PT for another 5 weeks. Same thing, Heat, then pushing, pulling, stretching and compressing my shoulder itself to the point I was screaming in pain. Still no strengthening of the shoulder itself. I know PT after surgery hurts BUT they should have never gone as far as they did. Saw the surgeon and he was very annoyed that it had frozen expecially when I told him what PT was doing. They weren't moving my shoulder at all just stretching my arm muscles. Should ahve been doing resistance excercises weeks ago and have not. Right now I'm comfortable. What little pain I have is tolerable. I stretch in the shower for 20 minutes and then later in the day do it again after using a heating pad. I have good ROM and am petrified that when I return to PT on thursday they will mess me up again. I stop not at the first sign of pain but when I think I 've reached a point of too much pain. They go so far beyond that it's traumatic. I have asked for ultrasound for 8 weeks as I've read numerous places that it's really good after surgery and been refused it. There is no pain med that helps. I have been in pain 24/7 for 6 weeks now. I also have a bad neck which PT aggravated . I have that nice and calm right now. I guess I will ahve to tell the PT that I am not going thorugh what they did to me before. If I can move it and stretch it without agonizing pain they need to do the same adn stop when I say it's enough. For 6 weeks I would walk in ther ein agony and they would torture and already painful arm and in al honesty made it worse. I got no relief, only morepain from PT. I am at my wits end. Thansk for the response.

ICC

Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

robeano HB User

hey there!! Sounds like you are on the right track. as you are doing, listen to your body, you should NEVER leave the PT in excrutiang pain. a little pain is normal, but anything above that is a clue something is wrong.have you had a mri of your c spine? sounds like you may have a disc prob as well. i am not a dr, just a nurse, and going by my own experiences. it also sounds like you need a new PT office. good luck to you. use heat and ice and rest. best wishes
R

Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Morning robeano.....Yes, I am going to listen to my own body from now on. Have a few bulges in my neck, stenosis and a large bone spur at the C5-C6. Just had an MRI of the Brachial Plexus last week. See the spine dr. this morning. He wanted me out of PT until I see him. I hope they didn't damage anything in tht area. I heat, excercise, ice at least 2 xs a day on my shoulder and arm. So far I don't have the ROM I have in the other arm but as much as I had for a year before the surgery. Alot of the pain is gone. so I am being very careful and will make sure PT is when I return. I am also joining an indoor pool and will do some work on the whole body in the water. Did it before and found it to be great.

ICC

Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
(female)

robeano HB User

hey ICC,
Hey sounds like a great plan you have. the pool is a wonderful tool and was the only thing that helped me after my first surgery get back my life. not so lucky this second time, only because pool has not been an option. i just found out i have yet another bulging disc at L4-5. tired of my back and neck falling apart, when i don't do anything to cause it to do so. i am so careful now its not funny. arggh...
glad you are feeling better.
Sending postive ***** and pain free wishes your way,
Robeano

Closed Thread