It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

dougrobin01 HB User
Pregnant w/ Fibro

Hi Everyone,

I'm not pregnant yet but I'm thinking about it very seriously now. Well, I've been wishy-washy for about 5 years now. I just got dx'd w/ Fibro last October and I've been on Celexa for a total of 7 years. First for depression but secondary for Fibro. Last year I went off the Celexa so we could try and get prego and man, was I in a world of hurt. I had excruciating back pain and my hubby felt so bad for me, he told me to go back on meds.

Three of my docs (Gyno, General M.D. and Rhuemy) have said they do have patients on SSRI's that have had normal pregnancies but they don't necessarily recommend it since it's a Class C drug. So, paranoid me figured I would just die childless. A friend of mine has a good friend who just had a beautiful, healthy baby boy last week and she was on SSRI's for the whole term. I saw his picture and just melted.

I would like to know from my fellow Fibro-mates, what your experiences have been having babies on SSRI's and also, how you did physically during your pregnancies (i.e. worsening pain, worse mood swings, etc)

Thanks so much!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Pregnant w/ Fibro

hi,
getting pregnant is always a huge decision. adding all the rest, you have alot to think thru.
fibro is odd. it may or may not intensify your symptoms, such as morning sickness, back pain, crying, and near the end of your last trimester could make you very uncomfortable. i have a daughter who is pregnant with her second baby, the last one. she was on ssri and meds for abs so her body would not abort her baby. my grandson will be 2 this october and he is a busy, healthy, smart little guy.
if having a child is very important to you, have you thought about the ones already here who have no mommy or daddy?
just a thought.
i will say having kids is alot of work. never ending work. there are moms here who do it. they say it is very hard and often they feel bad because they cannot be the mom they were or wanted to be. with kids you need all the energy you can find. i am a grandmother and i can tell you even my 13 year old granddaughters exhaust me. there is so much for them to learn and we are the teachers. so i make sure i have plenty of energy for their visit. i have one granddaughter here now. she spent the night. just sitting and talking wore me out. imagine if my almost 2 year old was here and i was chasing him.
so, tho i cannot share any actual facts that relate to myself concerning pregnancy with fibro, i can say what my 2 daughters go thru.
jessica has 2 13yr old girls and 1 9 yr old boy. she works full time also. it is hard and there are times she calls me in tears asking how, how, how?
hope this helps you and your husband further your decision process.
there are lots of people on the planet. if you choose not to reproduce that is totally cool. your body, your choice. my son has chosen not to. i told him i was proud of him. and i truly am. this choice is so individual only you know your hearts desire and your abilities.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi ...I just want to say that not all of us have the same problems that is causing "Fibro". Some people have pinched nerves or problems with chemicals in brain...Some people (like me) was mis-diagnoised to start with and I had Lyme Disease...Also there is alot of research being done now that is showing that Chlamydia Pnumoniae Bacteria can cause Fibro and M.S. dementia, alsheimers, some cancers..ect..ect...

I have had the Lyme Bacteria and the Chlmydia Pnumoniae bacteria..I have the Epstein Barr Virus and Cytomeglovirus...None of the doctors that I was seeing eons of years ago diganoised me with any of these...They said it was all in my head..

I got preganant and it died inside of me and I hemoraged for 6 months until my body aborted it..The doctor didn't believe I was preganant..just bleeding from all the med's I was on...

What I am getting at is you truly need to find the cause of your fibro....If you are in that much pain you have "something" going on that an antidepressant most likely will not cure. I don't believe I would want to take the chance of my baby having problems with it's brain becaue I was on a SSRI. Drugs are Drugs even if you get them from the pharmacy. I don't know if you have run across withdrawls from antidepressants..it is not fun.

Have you been to see a Lyme Doctor? On that specializes in Lyme Disease? What test have you had?

Here is some good infromation for you to read up on...Dr. Charles Startton protcol for Fibro. You might want to also read up on Lyme Disease and it's symptoms...and the other virus's I mentioned.

I do wish you luck. And hope you find answers.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

sorry, i forgot to say that my daughter jackie, who is preggers now, says it is miserable alot of the time. she wrote me yesterday and said she is so tired. but you know what? every woman who is almost there feels the same. being pregnant takes alot out of your body. baby gets everything first, so you have to really watch your diet and suppliment vitamins and minerals.
thats all,
blue

Old 07-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi girl - I have fibro. and I am currently pregnant. I do not take any meds. while I am pregnant or nursing. This is number 8 for us and we have adopted my deceased brother's two children, so when this little person shows up, it will be a total of 10. I have just decided to work through the pain. I can't add anything to the med. discussion, but I agree with Blue, as a bio. and adoptive mom, if you truly can't cope without meds. and you are scared about consequences, adoption is a beautiful thing. There are lots of kids already here that are literally dying for the want of loving parents.

I do not want to give any false impressions, either. My life is hard at times - we are farmers, and while that gives us the advantage of both me and my DH being "stay at home" parents, we are tired ALOT. And I hurt ALOT. Our decision to have a big family is somewhat religious and somewhat private, but all the pain is worth all the love to us. However, that isn't the way it needs to be for everyone. So, I would say, think long and hard with your DH about how much it means for the child to be yours biologically or if you can open your home & your heart to a child who needs you.

Lots to consider, and I wish you all the best on your decision, Marirose

ps- It's alot easier to cope with the little ones running wild when the older ones can help -I sit here typing while icing a broken bone in my foot - my DH is still out on the combine - light stays late at this time of year- I have never had the luxury of this much rest and this much time to myself since the older ones have been able to pitch in, so that is just another thought to consider...if you decide to bring a baby into the world biologically, do you have a support system? Just more food for thought....let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread