It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

Indianband HB User
Has anybody heard this?

I recently went to a new doctor, supposedly he knows FM. He told me that FM is a disorder of the brain. Apparently, according to him, you have an injury, your brain recognizes that you have an injury and does whatever it does. After the injury heals, your brain does not recognize that the injury has healed and keeps doing whatever it does during an actual injury and thus FM happens because the hurt muscle stays in spams to protect it from the injury.

Has anybody heard this theory? I think it's a lot of hogwash myself, just wondering what others have heard. He gave me Liodcan patches, just trying them for the first time this morning. So far, all I feel is a funny taste in my mouth, guess we shall see as the day moves on. Any and all comments greatly appreciated.

Indianband

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
(female)

cantell HB User
Re: Has anybody heard this?

hello IB..LOL..thats a new one..but since noone has found a cure for fibro you are likely to hear alot of different stuff and different programs to follow.
go thru alot of different docs' and told your nuts by more than one person..hehe I will stop there..so, I cant help you on that one or on the patches..although, I have alot of meds but not the patch yet.

alot of good folks on this board maybe someone else will come along and help you out..gl and take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Brain injury? I've read about the lack of deep restoring sleep problem causing fatigue and the chemical changes for some unknown reason and the little fits and farts on the brain that causes fibro but not injury, well these docs have to say something perhaps he is a budding researcher! Sorry but do these people stop and think about the effect of what they are saying to us? Is this supposed to give us hope, something to strive for, to make us feel better, nooo, its for them to fool themselves into thinking that they actually know what we are going thru we go home and think and if we are at a low point we worry. Good job we're a level headed bunch ain't it? Although I did read that fibro may be a disease of the central nervous system and not the muscular system. Latest research has reported that mud baths in Italy are bringing in good results, not to mention the reports of a possible link between thyroid abnormalities and the severity of fibro, another treatment report is reduction of fibro symptoms thru intravenous nutrient therapy. There are as many theories as to what causes fibro as there are fibromites, I made a list the other day, just trying to get things in prespective yeh? getting a grip on the thing as it were and I filled 2 pages of A5 note paper, well, not all are permanant you understand, some come and go and return again later but that is just one person listing her symptoms, put us all together and you got a humongious number, then add the conditions that can run alongside, the mind boggles I've rambled on and on my fellow fibromites, if you've read it all and still not asleep I thank you for your perseverence and patience, Indianband thank you for letting me get this all off my chest take care, keep well Snoozyowl

Last edited by snoozyowl; 08-15-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

morning ladies,
welcome indianband. i have had a few surgeries since fibro came to live in me. i can validate what your doc says. when i had surgery in my eyes fibro found it within a week and went busy. i still have moments when my eyes are funny, just like after surgery.
when i had my knee worked on, same thing. still echos those pains. brain does not realize when to stop. next was surgery for my bladder and urethra and rectum. all done vaginally. guess who showed up? yup, fibro. so now i have to go to p.t. to learn how to urinate normally. fibro does not realize i have been repaired. fibro is rather dumb.
i have found p.t. very helpful in redirecting the brain funtions. body and mind are very connected and must work together. fibro wants your brain and body to forget they ever knew each other.
so, while i agree with your doc i also know fibro really does not care if there is an old injury to play with or a fabricated one. i had a doc tell me this and i agree. my brain sends messages telling my body it is in pain. my body then has a choice. to agree or not. before i realized this i had no idea they were at odds with each other. knowing it now i work with both to find harmony and open communication. does this make sense to you? i hope so.
we are all still wandering in the dark when it comes to understanding fibro and the causes, let alone an answer. in time it will come. i am not holding my breath tho. i am busy getting as healthy as i can be.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Yup! I've heard that theory myself. My fibro physician believes it is a metabolic disorder. His treatment has worked, so all I can do is believe he is correct. Go figure.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey Indianband, sorry I forgot to say welcome as I got so riled yesterday after reading your post, I guess we don't get this sort of news over here in the UK until months later it can make one feel rather isolated to be honest, anyway just wanted to say sorry about the vent and again welcome to the boards take care keep well Snoozyowl

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianband View Post
I recently went to a new doctor, supposedly he knows FM. He told me that FM is a disorder of the brain. Apparently, according to him, you have an injury, your brain recognizes that you have an injury and does whatever it does. After the injury heals, your brain does not recognize that the injury has healed and keeps doing whatever it does during an actual injury and thus FM happens because the hurt muscle stays in spams to protect it from the injury.
Hi and welcome!

I've heard this before, or at least something similar, and I recently read an article detailing this theory. It was something along the lines of the body remembering the trauma. The body's natural response to trauma becomes permanent for some reason and it creates a "central pain mechanism" where the body continues to feel pain after the injury has healed. Also, the general pain threshold is lowered.

This is just me reciting something I've read from memory, so don't take it as gospel. Injury does seem to have something to do with fibromyalgia, although people can get fibro without having an injury first. People who have had neck trauma, like whiplash (which I've had), are much more likely than others to develop fibromyalgia.

But scientists don't agree whether the actual cause is microtrauma to the muscles, central nervous system malfunction, or whether the injury or trauma just triggers an underlying condition or weakness - i.e. the fibromyalgia. From everything I've read, the bottom line is that nobody seems to know for sure.

I hope the treatment you are getting from your doc will help you. All the best.

Last edited by jenilee70; 08-16-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Yup! I've heard that theory myself. My fibro physician believes it is a metabolic disorder. His treatment has worked, so all I can do is believe he is correct. Go figure.

Blessings,
Kirstee
Hi Kirstee,

I haven't heard this before. Can you explain this metabolic theory better and what it means? What kind of treatment are you getting?

Hope I'm not being too forward.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
(female)

littlears HB User

Yes i beleive what the doctor says is true. iI have read articles about substance p that can be found in our bodies. Our pain receptors are in overdrive. What someone normal might consider a 4 for pain people with fibro feel its an 11. This is relativiley new. So after an injury our body still recognizes the injury as pain. I was diagnosed 6 months ago healthy and well and hurt my leg and fell. Have not been the same since. God bless

Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
(female)

desperate1 HB User

This is an interesting discussion. I had heard that it's possible to develop fibro after something like, say, an auto accident.
Only thing that makes me nervous is that I have fibro and I've never had any type of accident or trauma my whole life. Never even had stitches! And I know I can't be alone in that.
So this is one theory that makes a lot of sense, but it makes me weary if your doctor said it to you as if it was "THE" definitive root of fibro, because I don't think this holds true for my situation, and yet here I am in just as much turmoil as someone who has had trauma. So I have to think there's another connection as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

no one knows all the ways fibro can enter our bodies. there are no rules to it. no specific "this is why". i doubt there ever will be unless it is within our brains or immune systems. anything can trigger fibro. anything or nothing. it can just come. i do not have a specific injury that caused mine.
we all find our peace with fibro in time. in the meantime learn to live with it and forget about worrying and saying "but why?" in the end why does not matter. what matters is how we choose to live our lives as we are.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey All, another theory for fibro is depression, had that several years ago and is still with me to a certain degree, but not anywhere as bad as it was back then. what do you all think? You all take care, keep well, Snoozyowl

Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

personally after much reading and talking with others i think depression can be an aspect of fibro. depression can also be its own aspect disregarding fibro. i had a doc tell me to get a shrink. this was years ago. he made me mad at the time. all in my head? okay! so i got a shrink and i learned how to live as me. i no longer see one. i learned so much. was the shrink the magic cure? no way! but that doc who made me angry had a point i missed at the time. he was telling me i needed help learning to be this altered me.
i do not feel depression causes fibro. i think it is the other way around. when depression comes after fibro is present how can it be blamed? i spent 9 years working my brain over and over to find this peace and joy i now live.
depression has not been in my life. i am fortunate. i sense tho that it could have if i had not taken the steps to learn to live within my new me.
my heart goes out with pure love for anyone who lives with depression. it is so difficult and lonely.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #14
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey Blue, hope your p/t went well today, fibro resurrected my depression very badly, I went thru the hopeless, helpless, useless stage again and still do from time to time, it is a lonely place to be when its with me, but with time I claw my way back yet again and use anger to get me there, but have to be careful that anger doesn't set off the fibro. The bouts vary from days to weeks, but not the months as it used to be. When the depression first hit I learned to ride a motorbike, this time though, I have to find something else, hence the wood carving, creating something, hopefully, very beautiful out of a already beautiful piece of wood or not so beautiful piece of wax. Thank you for your love Blue take care keep well Snoozyowl

Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I definitey believe it. I learned that fms is a central nervous disorder. For more information read Devin Starlanyls "Fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain" book. My fibro onset was a result of a trauma. And we have nerves that message pain to and from the brain when there is no logical reason to be in pain. And think about it, the fibrofog and depression and not sleeping. And stress is a huge trigger for a flare. That is ALL central nervous system.

In her book she explains that chronic myofascial pain on the other hand, is a separate condition and is treated with physical therapy, etc.

Read her book and keep an open mind. I don't know what i would have done without her book, especially at the beginning. I thought i was going to flip out with all my weird symptoms. She explains it so well. And she was an MD and she has fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain. I still reference this book often.

Closed Thread