It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
(female)

cheryls72 HB User
Just diagnosed with Fibro

Hi ~ I was just diagnosed with Fibo and looking for anyone that can tell me what to ask my doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

zelda77 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Fibro

Go to a rhumatologist or let your doctor refer you to one. They do the tender point tests and will diagnose you properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey there Cheryls72 just like you I have been fibrorised recently and am still trying to get to grips with it all, this much I have learned, 1-Fibro affects people in different ways, so tell your dr what is going on with you, the pains and aches, fatigue, what affect you, it will take a while to sort it all out, keep a daily diary and compare days, 2-nobody knows what pain you are in except you 3-the only people who have any idea are other fibromites but what works for them may not work for you. 4-you are not alone, I wish I had joined this forum sooner, yes I'm in pain, yes I'm fatigued and unable to sleep at times, but I feel more hopeful and better in myself knowing that I'm not alone. Read the chats between bluelakelady and her friends they are inspiritional and open, I laughed and cried at what they were saying, take heart and keep in touch and we'll learn as we go along together if you want. |Take care Snoozyowl

Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Now that you've been diagnosed, you can move forward. There are some really good books about dealing with fibromyalgia. Being educated is the best step to receiving the care you need. Do not hesitate to change doctors until you find the right person who will work with you. There are many doctors who do not know how to properly treat this multi-faceted syndrome which can make this condition very difficult to deal with.

WELCOME!
Kirstee

Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User

Welcome aboard! and ditto to the suggestions of keeping a diary and reading up on the subject, etc. In fact, if I may suggest get yourself a daily planner or calendar with enough room to write down things as they happen. You can also keep up wtih your appointments and other meetings, etc.

I found early on that if I don't write things down immediately they're lost for good...fibro fog. And I can't keep track of my appointments or avoid double-booking without a calendar. It takes a village of doctors now to treat me...one oversees my chronic fatigue and fibro, another my arthritic back, another my high blood pressure and cardiac care, another my HRT and thyroid, another my well woman check-ups, another my pain management, and finally one my psychological needs. Then there's the P.T.

I don't mean to scare you, but you may find that a "village" works best for you. The main thing is to get the best care in all areas needed and wherever possible, to get them to work together. In any case, however, you need to be your own advocate and manage your own care. When a medication is prescribed or recommended, I don't just take it anymore. First I look it up to see what the possible side effects are and any drug interactions. If it's something to do with fibro or chronic fatigue, I check on the boards to see if anyone is familiar with it. Then I make as informed a decision about taking the medication as possible.

One other thing you might find helpful is making a place for everything and putting it in the same place each time, like your keys, purse, glasses, watch, etc. Keep a pad of paper and a pen with you at all times to jot down notes so you can remember things later on, or get a recorder to carry with you. There are many little "tricks" you'll learn to adapt to the fibro fog and fatigue and pain.

The greatest gift you can give yourself right now is patience, love and understanding. It's like the first day of school all over again. You can't read or write; you don't know anyone. This is a new town even. Well, we're all kids in the same school. Some of us have been here longer than others and have moved up a grade or two. There's a lot to learn here and elsewhere. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one left unasked.

Fibro hugs

Houston

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey there HH I'm learning slowly, like yourself I do have other things going on probley MS as well as a tumour in my pituritary gland that although its benign has and does cause problems, it most likely caused my menopause at the age of 27 years luckily I had already had my 2 beautiful kids by then. Although I'm 45 years now I do feel double that at times, I do have trouble staying positive and do think about the abilities that I have lost, mostly my motorblke and my job that I had not long retrained for, very irksome! Still after following the chats between fellow fibromites I am trying to reconstruct my lifestyle etc to activities that I can manage, we swapped the tent for a caravan as I'm not sure how I will react to extended journeys or flying 1 thing I will try is wood carving and candle making, my family are supportive but so have problems at accepting that I'm not as I was, we're getting there day by day. Do you find hot weather a problem although our summers in England aren't that great I do find hot weather an ordeal. Fibro fog!! what a bind, I did have a good memory once, not now, I make lists and keep a diary to remind me of all sorts of things, very trying Please forgive all the smilies, just having fun: giggle have to do something to make light its the way I try and manage on a day to day basis. Ihave rambled on enough, its great to be able to chat to other fibromites take care hugs and smilesSnoozyowl xx

Closed Thread